1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Will the 14mm work for me?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by CaptainD, Nov 10, 2011.

1. CaptainD

CaptainD Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2011
    One of my favorite lenses on my 30D was my Tokina 12-24. I love that ultra wide angle for tight places. I recently unloaded my 30D and all of my lenses and got a GH2 and the 20mm lens to start with. One thing I'm looking to do is capture video in a small single engine four seat plane. I am wanting to mount the camera in a way that it captures the view out of the front as well as the instrument panel. I don't think the 20mm will be wide enough for this, I'm pretty sure that Oly 12mm would be, but I'm not sure I want to spend that money right now. I've been trying to find pictures of people using the 14mm in cars to get an idea of how much in can capture in a closed space. Any idea of the 14mm might fit my needs? Any examples of a 14mm shooting in a car, maybe looking forward from the back seat or better yet, looking forward between the head rests of the front seats?

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I do not think the 14mm would be wide enough for your needs, and I have my doubts on the 12mm also.

If 12mm would work, you could also take a look at the new SLR magic lens... manual focus would be okay for video (I assume) and you would save a couple hundred dollars. From the way it sounds, more of a classic/bit soft look:

The SLR Magic 12mm f/1.6 Hyperprime Lens Review for Micro 4/3 by Steve Huff | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

It would seem that the Olympus and Panasonic ultra wide zooms would be a better fit for you, FoV-wise, but I am not sure on MF/AF performance for video.

3. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    14mm, I would say just about, It will do the job but the 12mm would give you that little extra you might need.

Between the seats of my small french van i can just get it all in.
    Here ya go :smile:

Attached Files:

4. CaptainD

CaptainD Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2011
    That does just about cover everything in that van. And I plan to have the camera elevated almost to the ceiling so it can get a better view out of the front.

5. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Do you not have a 14-42mm lens? Is there a store near you like Best Buy, or a photography store? If you have a Best Buy, they sell the 14-42mm lens on a GF3, and usually have one on display. You can play with the display, and take in your GH2 with 20mm as well to compare. You might be able to determine in-store if 14mm is wide enough for your needs. Otherwise, look on your local classifieds or the buy/sell forum here, and buy yourself a used 14mm. You can always resell it for little to no loss if you buy right, and it ends up not being enough for you.

6. CaptainD

CaptainD Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2011
    No, I got a GH2 body only and the 20mm. I do have some good local photography shops near by, I can go and try to play with a few lenses, plus I still need a case or bag and figure out a good way to mount this thing.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Since it'll be sitting in a plane, size isn't critical, right? Why not get a secondhand 14-42? It's just as wide as the 14/2.5 pancake, and considerably less expensive. If you decide you want wider later, there's the 9-18.

DH

8. CaptainD

CaptainD Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2011
    Yeah, I have not really thought about the 14-42 and I could get it second hand. I really love the 20mm for everyday stuff, and I eventually want to get some other lenses. Size of the lens won't matter in this case. How much do they usually run second hand?

9. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I bought a brand new Panasonic 14-42mm here for $120 shipped; many people get them as part of a kit and don't want the zoom, or they already have one. Olympus, for example, only sells the E-P3 with a 14-42mm or 17mm lens, but most people on this forum that want to upgrade to it already have a 14-42mm, and probably the 20mm as well. You may spend as much as $160 for the new R Olympus version. The 14mm sells for about $200-$250.

10. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott