Will the 14-42mm X make the 14mm less useful?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DDBazooka, Sep 28, 2011.

1. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    From preliminary testings it seems the 14-42mm X is the same if not better than the original 14-42mm which was comparable to the 14/2.5. If so, and provided the small size difference and price is not a big concern, would you still keep your 14mm?

I was considering getting a 14 to go with my 20, but for 150 more I get zoom, IS to compensate for the 1 stop difference, plus nice video capabilities!

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    the 14 is faster, which matters a lot to many. If you are using it as a cocktail party lens, then speed will matter.

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The 14 is my fast walk around and social lens. If the 20 fulfills that need for you, then great. But I like wide angle and when it's dark, 2.5 is a lot better than 3.5.

4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Actually, I'd argue the OIS in the 14-42mm will make it a 'faster' lens for stationary subjects than the 14mm. The aperture difference is only one stop, and I typically get 2-3 stops out of OIS on my 14-45mm. The "Power OIS" in the new x lens is supposed to be even better.

Of course for moving subjects there's no replacement for more light, so it may make a difference for some. But for me I think it's going to be a tough decision. The 14mm is actually smaller, and even though it's not by a lot, every mm counts when you're talking thickness and the ability to slip into and out of a pocket. On the other hand, it would be amazing to have all those focal lengths available in a sharp zoom for just a slightly larger lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.