Will the 14-42mm X make the 14mm less useful?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DDBazooka, Sep 28, 2011.

1. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    From preliminary testings it seems the 14-42mm X is the same if not better than the original 14-42mm which was comparable to the 14/2.5. If so, and provided the small size difference and price is not a big concern, would you still keep your 14mm?

I was considering getting a 14 to go with my 20, but for 150 more I get zoom, IS to compensate for the 1 stop difference, plus nice video capabilities!
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    the 14 is faster, which matters a lot to many. If you are using it as a cocktail party lens, then speed will matter.
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The 14 is my fast walk around and social lens. If the 20 fulfills that need for you, then great. But I like wide angle and when it's dark, 2.5 is a lot better than 3.5.
  4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Actually, I'd argue the OIS in the 14-42mm will make it a 'faster' lens for stationary subjects than the 14mm. The aperture difference is only one stop, and I typically get 2-3 stops out of OIS on my 14-45mm. The "Power OIS" in the new x lens is supposed to be even better.

Of course for moving subjects there's no replacement for more light, so it may make a difference for some. But for me I think it's going to be a tough decision. The 14mm is actually smaller, and even though it's not by a lot, every mm counts when you're talking thickness and the ability to slip into and out of a pocket. On the other hand, it would be amazing to have all those focal lengths available in a sharp zoom for just a slightly larger lens.