Will Sony join Micro Four Thirds?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by goldenlight, Aug 20, 2013.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Just saw on the rumors site reports of a MFT 8-17mm f2.8 lens patented by Konica New Konica 8-17mm f/2.8 Micro Four Thirds Lens patent! | 43 Rumors I believe that other lenses have also been patented under the Konica name.
    It occurs to me that Konica and Minolta camera divisions are defunct, having essentially been taken over by Sony some years ago. So how could Konica suddenly be resurrected to make MFT lenses?

That makes me wonder if Sony hold the Konica trade mark and are perhaps using it as a smoke screen to prepare themselves for a MFT debut, which might also explain a little more what Sony are getting out of the new cooperation on shared technology with Olympus.

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Never say never, but Sony are already into FF (with and without a mirror) and APSC (again, with and without a mirror), so why would they want to add another? - esp with camera sales softening.

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I believe that you're incorrect about Konica-Minolta's lens division being owned by Sony. Konica Minolta Optical products was not sold to Sony, only the camera division.

KONICA MINOLTA Global
    Optical Products | KONICA MINOLTA

Sony has nothing to do with this patent, and this patent does not portend any secret Sony plans about anything.

4. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Dare I say it? OK, maybe they intend to realign their mirrorless ranges by introducing a Full Frame mirrorless system (interchangeable lenses) and dropping APS-C.

Unlikely I admit, but then we are talking rumors and wild speculation! :biggrin:

But what do you make of Konica supposedly becoming involved in MFT?

To me, it's a puzzle.

5. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Ah, that explains it, I didn't realize that the optical division was still independent and operational. :smile: