1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Will Panasonic Introduce Weathersealed body?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

So finally cat is out of the bag . Oympus needed panasonic 16MP sensor and they used it to give us one of the best MFT camera . OM-D looks fantastic and will perform very well and sell very well because price is perfect . Now this will threaten Panny GH2 and GX1 as well . The billion dollar question is when is Panasonic going to give is a weathrsealed body?Will they? Or they will just stick with current line ? I am sure this weather sealing and some of other features of OM-D might trickle down to Next PEN say EP4.
    Share ur thoughts
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Panasonic never had weather sealing before. They never got a weather sealed body into the Four-Thirds system, but they never really stuck around long enough either. They are certainly a lot more serious about Micro Four-Thirds, so maybe...

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I don't really care, since Panasonic still hasn't caught up with Olympus on metering accuracy, auto white balance, and color tone yet in their latest m4/3 efforts, not to mention the in-body IS...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bhupinder2002

I know what U mean , even my SOny a33 has horrible metering and WB as compared to my EPL2. The whole point is panasonic will find it hard to sell GH2 and GX1 now as Olympus has added three main key features we have been asking for .. Weathersealing , in built VF and tilt screen. Panasonic is on back foot now . I think OMD is the hottest gadget of 2012..I am in love already .To add further , I bought G2 and Gh2 but ended up selling them soon just because I wasn't happy with colour tone and metering
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Even though I like Oly M4/3 cameras better, I wouldn't worry too much for Panasonic either. There are plenty of Panny supporters out there. Those who primarily shoot RAW and prefer Panny OS and control layout over Oly's... :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bhupinder2002

I don't eat anything RAW, I love it all well cooked and Olympus is the best at cooking JPEGS ..hahhah
    Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I would be very surprised at a Pany weather-sealed body. Their raison d'ĂȘtre is video, at least on the flagship GH* series, and from all accounts it's a good one at that. I think for them that's probably good enough.

They do have that spiffy multi-aspect GH2 sensor, but they ain't sharing that with anyone. :tongue:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bhupinder2002

I agree and they don't have technology to do that. Olympus had 4/3 weather sealed lenses as back up, I think Olympus has already planned a road map for that. But Olympus Video will also improve and if someone is getting a weather sealed body and much better designed and sturdy camera for same price then why would u get plastiky one? I think they will have some troubles now . So far video is the only slight advantage which Gh2 will have over Olympus .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

9. PeterK

PeterK Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2012
    I wouldn't be too hasty about praising the new Olympus E-M5. It does look great, but no one has really used one yet. There are no reviews. And no one has seen the image quality yet. Spec sheet is one thing, reality is another ;-)

Looking at the facts, so far the best MFT camera regarding photo image quality (best MFT sensor so far) and handling (EVF, external controls, body size, tilting LCD) has been Panasonic GH2 (not counting the truly spectacular video performance). And that camera is almost 1.5 years old now. GH3 is around the corner and if it took Olympus more than 1 year to catch up, one can only wonder what will the GH3 be like..

The billion dollar question is when is Panasonic going to give us a weathr sealed body? Really? Why is weather sealing suddenly so important? Working photographers have been happily using Canon and Nikon semi-pro cameras without weather sealing for years. Weather sealing is a specialty feature, hardly a main decisive factor. I personaly think most people will not need it.

Regarding new Olympus sensor. We have yet to see how it performs. But most likely it is not Panasonic's fully digital 16MP sensor (which is only used in GH2 so far). It could be better. Or the same. Or worse.

Now don't take me as a Pana fanboy or something. I think E-M5 looks fantastic. If I had money for more than 1 flagship camera I would buy it in an instant ;-) I hope it is seriously better than GH2 - so that Pana has to step up their game, and bring us even better GH3 ;-)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bhupinder2002

Its not a deciding factor but an important one . If I am getting same GH2 sensor in a weather sealed body then I will definitely get it . I agree GH2 is a wonderful camera for Full HD video but there are many people here who like Olympus's handling and colour tones . The Full HD video on newer Pen series isn't bad either . Apart from that , none of current Olympus PEN cameras offers unacceptable IQ or handling .They are all beautiful and produce beautiful pics , of course three generations of PENs are slightly different from each other in terms of AF , IQ , and handling .So I don't think we need a review to tell its a good or bad camera. It has to be very good .ANyway I think soon we will see some real life pics soon .Now weather sealing thing is similar to the reaction when we started getting DSLRs with videos and many said ..oh who needs video on DSLR , bla bla and now video is an essential part of any format camera and people won't buy a DSLR without video at all . Same thing with tilt or swivel screen.. who needs it ?? Now every one wants one . So Weather sealing is the next big thing in affordable MFT body .And currently OMD is the cheapest weather sealed camera along with Pentax K5 which is still USD200 more than OMD .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

11. PeterK

PeterK Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2012
    Actually GH2 is fantastic for taking photographs too ;-)

I am aware that many people prefere shooting jpeg and that Oly jpegs are supposed to be one of the best. But megapixels and pixel level image quality do count when you want to print large, or crop. And purely quality wise RAW is better than jpeg..

Just for the record E-M5 video features seem to be lackging compared to current top video DSLRs. To quote dpreview "The E-M5 can shoot 1080i60 video from 30p sensor output though there are no options to natively shoot in 30p or 24p. Two compression options are available - 20Mbps fine quality, which limits individual clips to around 22 minutes, or a 17Mbps normal option that lets the camera record up to its 29 minute limit."

But I think that handling will be great. Those extra grips look like a really well implemented idea.

Weather sealing.. for some.. As stadard feature in the future? Hardly. Not all compacts are rugged designs.. Video and tilting screen are just really useful features for all types of shooters. And both have been used in the compacts' world for years. Video is easy to implement for compacts and mirrorless (I think it came to DSLR world via Live View), tilting screen is bit more of a premium feature.

But now I realized what you said before, that GH2 is plasticky. That's true. Magnesium body is superior. I would love to see that in GH3 ;-)

Sensor - ultimately determining the image quality. It could be better than GH2. Why not. Actually it would be great if it were.

Also in-body IS. That's a great feature. I wish it were in GH2.

12. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Beg to differ. Given the success of the ruggedized compact cameras, WR is hardly a speciality thing anymore.

You will find WR has been around in semi-pro DSLRs for a while (Olympus E-1,3,5) on N and C bodies ( Dxxx, EOS 5,7) and Pentax K5 & 7. In fact it is taken for granted on DSLRs in this group in order to be taken seriously. Your bigger problem is trying to find what lenses N and C will admit are WR rated! Olympus & Pentax are the opposite and actively promote their WR lenses.

WR is a big deal to people who want to keep taking photos even when the rain falls, waves splash, or the sand and dust blows all over you. The build quality is usually much better than a non-WR body or lens. Once you have experienced the ability to keep taking pictures when others are running for cover you wont be satisfied with standard gear again.

Frankly the WR is not a gimmick and will be a major selling feature for the E-M5 that will make a lot of serious amateur and pro photographers take M4/3 seriously.

13. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Check out this video of the OM-D's awesome water-resistant capability!!

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhO9YDI8cHk]Olympus OM-D E-M5[/ame]

14. chip

chip Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    Very competitive price point for the EM-5 body when you consider the GX1 + LFV2 = about $950.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I do find it a little amusing that many were complaining about / slating the sensor in the GX1 yet now it is being used in the new Olympus, it is the greatest - Funny that!

I do believe the new OM-D will draw exisitng and new Mu43 users, it is reminiscent of the OM analogue series style wise and if it exceeds those cameras build wise, with it's weatherproofing and solid build not to mention LCD / EVF and improved performance I am sure it will be a big hit.

I do not feel that Panasonic will feel threatened by it as it is more DSLR style than micro so suspect it will not do too much damage to their GX1 market share, I do suspect it will encourage Panasonic to release a GH3 (or renamed) version with potentially a new sensor that could well raise the stakes again but will certainly make the Mu43 format an even more attractive proposition than it currently is, and , if the IQ of both manufacturers equates to /exceeds that of entry DSLR's then the shift to Mu43 will probably be even greater going forwards.

Exciting times ahead I think and the OM-D will spurn an even greater release of higher quality optics from both Mu43 Partners / associates.

• Like Like x 2
  16. PeterK

PeterK Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2012
    I agree - the greater the E-M5 success, the better for all of the M4/3 ;-)

17. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I think that weather sealing is a bit over rated by enthusiasts, but still a nice feature that will attract some buyers. Not a game changer though. I agree that the video specs on the OM-D are a bit disappointing. It's almost like Oly didn't want to step on Panny's GH series toes. I also agree with the idea that the OM-D will raise the bar for m4/3s in general. That's good for all of us.

18. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I've been reading a lot of disappointment at the seeming use of the GX1 sensor. I haven't noticed any excitement by the prospect and mostly a "Well, let's see what they can pull out of it" and "At least it's better than the old sensors" attitude.

Fred

19. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    So true. While it's a nice looking camera, I already have the IQ in the GH2 and the weather sealing in the K-5. M43 needs to take a step forward in their image quality before I buy another body.

[Cue GH3 intro...]

20. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Are they the same people though? I don't think the sensor is amazing, but more of a "finally" for me. But what draws me to the E-M5 is the layout and options. After using the G3 for a few months, I really do miss things like back button AF in a good location. And the grip option.

I'm on the fence still, but leaning toward it. I'll do it oly brings that grip deal to the US :)