1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Will OMD EM1 shoot a longer exposure than 8 minutes?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by utahlasvegas, Feb 17, 2014.

1. utahlasvegas

utahlasvegas Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Hello forum members, I made the switch to Olympus mirror less cameras recently and have an OMD- EM1 and a Pen EP5. I love both cameras and tend to use the EP5 for portraits and street stuff and the EM1 for my hiking and bad weather stuff. I do like to do nighttime photography, and long exposures are my thing. Anyway, I was doing moonlight shots last night and noticed that the EM1 stops after 8 minutes on Live View mode. Is that as long as it will go? I think the EP5 will go 12 minutes. I used to go for hours on the Canon DSLR that I owned. The Live View mode seems to be less of a big deal if the camera won't go longer than 8 minutes. I ended up stacking 5 8 minute frames together and like the results, but I'm not a big fan of the gaps between star trails.

Thanks for any feedback... I'll try to post my shot in here later. I was up all night and am kind of out of it right now.

2. utahlasvegas

utahlasvegas Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Okay, I just figured out how to get it to go for 30 minutes... still wish it was longer, but oh well. Thirty minutes will work okay for me.

3. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    The first time I tried "live time" with my E-M1, it shut off at 4 minutes. Then I went into the menu and found where I could change it. :clap2:

• Like Like x 1