Will Olympus Repair Scratch My Camera?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tjdean01, Mar 17, 2014.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    That was a quote from a few months ago. The only issue that plagues me is the fact that on around 10% of my photos at faster shutter speeds, the shutter doesn't close all the way on the bottom, or it bounces back up. When it starts doing this I shoot in 3:2 for a while and then when I go back to 4:3 it's often gone for a while. It annoys me that I have to crop these images if I really want 4:3.

a) Advantages of sending it in: they'll fix it. But...

b) Disadvantages: I'm extremely happy that my camera is in perfect mint cosmetic condition (I just sold a 2004 camera for top-dollar because it was in pristine condition...kind of a hobby, kind of a disease!). I don't want any scuffs or scratches on the camera at all. I never set it on a hard surface. You ever buy a cell phone and they set it on the hard table and slide it around? It will scratch the back plastic! In Japan, they always have a soft pad or a towel down when they do something like that. Here in the States the mindset isn't the same. So, yes, I want my PM2 fixed before its warranty is up (May). But if I do that, and they scratch it, I'm going to be extremely unhappy (funny though, if I buy something used and already scratched it doesn't bother me the least bit).
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Nothing I've sent in has come out noticeably cosmetically worse than when it went in, but I'm probably not as observant as you are. That said, it'll be a lot easier to sell a camera with minor cosmetic imperfections than one with a shutter problem, so unless you plan to keep the E-PM2 forever, I can't see any advantage to not sending it in.
  3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    So you would rather have a defective camera that looks perfect (that you would have trouble selling, because it is defective), than a perfectly good camera that might have a mark on it?

I also sent in an E-PL5 for repair here in the US, and it came back looking the same.
  4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    If cosmetics are that much of an issue, why don't you buy an aki-asahi skin kit for your camera. When you go to sell it, the skin can be removed with a hair dryer, and the body should still be mint. Or I've seen films covering the entire body of the camera, the same stuff they wrap headlights for cars with. It can get a little pricey for custom jobs, but apparently paying to buy another new body because the current one got scratched isn't going yo be cheap either.
  5. gswpete

gswpete Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2011
    I've sent my E-M5 in for repair (sticky shutter) twice and they've managed to scratch it once.

STILL - I'd get that fixed.
  6. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    I understand how you feel because I often feel the same way when I buy items. I try to take care of them, and if they need servicing, I would expect the service facility to return an item as they received it. Lately, however, I have been feeling a bit different about camera bodies (not lenses). They seem to almost be disposable, as they they are replaced within one to two years, and within two generations, the IQ difference is usually substantial. So, I recently went against the grain and picked up two lightly used E-M5's at a very good price. They are very clean, and I hope to keep them that way, but they have already depreciated greatly, and the difference of a minor scratch is not going to cost me much, financially or emotionally. I would send your camera in if they need repairing and do two extra things. First, you could take photos or a video of it if you need to show its condition. Second, there is a comment space when you request service, and you could politely remind them that it coming into service without any scratches. This puts them on advance notice if something does happen.

Good luck,

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
  8. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    Wow, thanks, guys, these are good comments. I was expecting to be flamed for being OCD about the camera's cosmetics. But, the camera is my baby and besides the computer, the second most valuable thing I'd rescue if my house burned (well, that along with the lenses).

And you're right about the shutter. It's pretty intolerable when it does that. You don't really know when it's going to happen, that's the problem. It doesn't destroy the photo, but when you're looking at your photos on the LCD when stopping for coffee, it really distracts the eye. And like you guys said at least it will be perfectly functional when I do decide to sell it (at PM3 time, perhaps?).

I think I will take a video and some photos of the camera before sending her in too and complain if they scratch it. I'll write notes that it's in cosmetically perfect. AND, if they still manage to scratch it, I'll use it for a while until I decide to get an OMD body, PM3, etc.

Here's what it does. It's the bottom part of the image (seen on the left side of the second picture)

9. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    Sent this in around the 19th of March and got it back today on the 29th already fixed with a new shutter mechanism. No scratches except I can see the screws have some paint taken off.
  10. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Glad it worked out for you. Hope the repair works.