Will Olympus finally have a new PEN with EVF? :)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gravijaflare, Nov 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
  2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Not sure I'd hold my breath on E-M5 II specs. Probably closer to E-M10 II specs.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I could be very happy with an E-P5 (current specs) with a vf4 quality evf added. My only requirement is that it be RF-style, and low profile. More like the X100 and less like the GX7, where it sticks way out of the camera. No need for it to flip.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Had this rumor been the body style Olympus originally went with, I most likely would have bought it and not the EM5. I really, REALLY liked the E-P5 body style, size....but the lack of a built in EVF pushed me away from it.

I'm no longer in the market for a PEN style body as I am more than happy with the EM1 and EM5 Mk II...but down the line in a few years I can see me picking up an E-P6?? with the built in EVF. Or maybe Olympus will give this a different PEN subname so they can continue on with the current body style and have this "other" PEN style too.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    What I'd be interested in is something like the GM5, but with a slightly larger EVF. The GM5's EVF is a bit too small, and the GX7 body is too big.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I wonder if Olympus will go full retro on this one? It's been pretty obvious for a while that lots of folks want a digital version of
    the original Pen. EM10 II specs would be fine with me. I doubt it will be WR since they'll want to keep this one on the small side. WR will mean fits in a jacket pocket.:wink:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  7. adi10times

adi10times Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Michael Adi P.
    I've been waiting for it!
    I think it could be a bit bigger than EP5, but that's fine for me :)

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Let's also apologize in advance to all those GX7/GX8/GM5 owners when all the Oly guys act like no one ever thought of something like this before. Yours truly included.:flowers_2:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I was a bit let-down with the size increase on the GX8. Here's hoping this can be an alternative upgrade to the GX7 from Olympus.

10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's about freaking time. They're a little late to the party though.

11. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Better late than never, I suppose, especially if they get it "right". Subjective, obviously, but I don't think anyone has gotten it quite right yet.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd love to see this camera get a new sensor plus all of the E-M5 II features. I have a feeling this camera is going to fetch a premium though!

13. tkbslc

Definitely. A6000 did a pretty good job here, too (and with a bigger EVF and sensor):

http://camerasize.com/compact/#395,629,472,535,ha,t

It might seems trivial to others, but that extra 10-15mm is always there snagging on your camera bag. That means an non-EVF body with a 25mm f1.8 is about as thin as a GX7 with a 20mm f1.7. It's significant when trying to create a slim camera.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#472.30,593.411,ha,t

14. tkbslc

Panasonic set the bar at $1200 with the GX8. E-P5 launched at $999. Probably somewhere in that range. Standard 18 month waiting period for great prices rule probably applies! :)

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    If they built this to EM10 II levels, they could offer it for $700-800. As I mentioned above, it won't be WR so EM10 II means 5 axis IBIS and the same sensor.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  16. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The E-Px series has always been sort of premium. Though I'd hope it'd come in at least under $1k USD! The only thing that could top a true built-in EVF Pen camera is if Sony made a compact FF ILC body also in a rangefinder-style chassis! :roflmao:

17. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    But it would still be a Sony....:shakehead::doh:

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. tkbslc

When Sony launches some pancakes and a compact portrait prime for their A7 series, I'll get excited.

19. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haha and that's why I still shoot M43! :D:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    You might find it fits more nicely in your bag if you just put the EVF in the upright position. I agree that fundamentally it would be nice if it was just lower profile, but the protrusion is definitely a bit more comfortable in use than the A6000/X100. I also have the larger accessory eyecup on my GX7, and that helps with comfort as well, again at the expense of size. I use my GX1 when I need a tiny cam, I guess.