Will Olympus finally have a new PEN with EVF? :)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gravijaflare, Nov 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
  2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Not sure I'd hold my breath on E-M5 II specs. Probably closer to E-M10 II specs.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I could be very happy with an E-P5 (current specs) with a vf4 quality evf added. My only requirement is that it be RF-style, and low profile. More like the X100 and less like the GX7, where it sticks way out of the camera. No need for it to flip.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Had this rumor been the body style Olympus originally went with, I most likely would have bought it and not the EM5. I really, REALLY liked the E-P5 body style, size....but the lack of a built in EVF pushed me away from it.

I'm no longer in the market for a PEN style body as I am more than happy with the EM1 and EM5 Mk II...but down the line in a few years I can see me picking up an E-P6?? with the built in EVF. Or maybe Olympus will give this a different PEN subname so they can continue on with the current body style and have this "other" PEN style too.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    What I'd be interested in is something like the GM5, but with a slightly larger EVF. The GM5's EVF is a bit too small, and the GX7 body is too big.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I wonder if Olympus will go full retro on this one? It's been pretty obvious for a while that lots of folks want a digital version of
    the original Pen. EM10 II specs would be fine with me. I doubt it will be WR since they'll want to keep this one on the small side. WR will mean fits in a jacket pocket.:wink:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  7. adi10times

adi10times Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Michael Adi P.
    I've been waiting for it!
    I think it could be a bit bigger than EP5, but that's fine for me :) 

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Let's also apologize in advance to all those GX7/GX8/GM5 owners when all the Oly guys act like no one ever thought of something like this before. Yours truly included.:flowers_2:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

I was a bit let-down with the size increase on the GX8. Here's hoping this can be an alternative upgrade to the GX7 from Olympus.

10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    It's about freaking time. They're a little late to the party though.

11. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Better late than never, I suppose, especially if they get it "right". Subjective, obviously, but I don't think anyone has gotten it quite right yet.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I'd love to see this camera get a new sensor plus all of the E-M5 II features. I have a feeling this camera is going to fetch a premium though!

13. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

Definitely. A6000 did a pretty good job here, too (and with a bigger EVF and sensor):

http://camerasize.com/compact/#395,629,472,535,ha,t

It might seems trivial to others, but that extra 10-15mm is always there snagging on your camera bag. That means an non-EVF body with a 25mm f1.8 is about as thin as a GX7 with a 20mm f1.7. It's significant when trying to create a slim camera.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#472.30,593.411,ha,t

14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

Panasonic set the bar at $1200 with the GX8. E-P5 launched at $999. Probably somewhere in that range. Standard 18 month waiting period for great prices rule probably applies! :) 

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    If they built this to EM10 II levels, they could offer it for $700-800. As I mentioned above, it won't be WR so EM10 II means 5 axis IBIS and the same sensor.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  16. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    The E-Px series has always been sort of premium. Though I'd hope it'd come in at least under $1k USD! The only thing that could top a true built-in EVF Pen camera is if Sony made a compact FF ILC body also in a rangefinder-style chassis! :roflmao:

17. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    But it would still be a Sony....:shakehead::doh:

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

When Sony launches some pancakes and a compact portrait prime for their A7 series, I'll get excited.

19. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    Haha and that's why I still shoot M43! :D :p 

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    You might find it fits more nicely in your bag if you just put the EVF in the upright position. I agree that fundamentally it would be nice if it was just lower profile, but the protrusion is definitely a bit more comfortable in use than the A6000/X100. I also have the larger accessory eyecup on my GX7, and that helps with comfort as well, again at the expense of size. I use my GX1 when I need a tiny cam, I guess.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.