Will Oly upgrade the E-P5's WiFi?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdk42, Jan 24, 2014.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm loving my new E-P5, but I must say, the WiFi is next to useless (correction - it IS useless). This is a serious enthusiast's camera and all the WiFi can do is let you take snapshots in iAuto and transfer them to a smartphone using Oly's app. No control of the camera's settings, no ability to transfer files to a laptop, no tethered shooting. These have all been addressed on the E-M1, and even on the Stylus 1. What do you think the chances are that Oly will upgrade the firmware to bring it up to the same level?

I know, I know - hope over experience!!!
  2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    In my view, the chances of Olympus doing a meaningful firmware upgrade are marginally more likely than the Apocalypse.
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Repent. The upgrade is near.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    You are being too optimisitic imho...
  5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    You could try contacting Olympus & encouraging others to do the same & then you might at least get some sort of answer back, even if it might be a vague, side stepping one; at least you will have tried. It's better to talk directly than to whinge to your friends, because that won't help you except to get others to write to them as well.
  6. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    I've emailed Olympus twice about this, once in July and once earlier this month. These are their responses:

And then...

To me, an update does not seem likely at all. Perhaps having multiple people contacting them, and emphasizing that the competition has manual control (GX-7) and that the EP-5 is behind in this regard, may encourage them to address it. But with EP-5 prices being discounted, my guess is that Olympus is well past development efforts on the camera.
  7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    If you want to tell the people with real pull try contacting the marketing department. Technical support only deals with what is, not what may be.

8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    My NX300 has exactly the same remote viewfinder limitations as the E-P5. Samsung will do firmware enhancements (as opposed to just fixes), and they did release a big firmware update for the NX300 but it did not include enabling full control through the remote viewfinder. I assume that means the chances of it being yet to come aren't great, although I would still rate them higher than the chances of Olympus doing the same update of the E-P5...
  9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Apocalypse will happen some day, Olympus firmware update maybe. Olympus has shown over and over that their firmware updates are only for correcting problems and never improving or adding features.
  10. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Its almost worth a twitter or facebook hashtag - 'switched to fuji for the firmware upgrades' #getolympus #microfourthirds #lame

Even though I'm a m43 booster the yearly upgrade treadmill is wearying - I like my gen 1 and 2 m43's cameras, why do I need to buy a new one if the internal software can be updated to provide improved functionality or new features ? If the internal memory/processor is not capable enough then consider spending a few cents more on a better one on the next generation and provide updates (like Apples iOS). Alternatively, do something radical - put the processor and firmware memory on an expansion card.

Sure, you'll cut into your own upgrade market but you'll build some loyalty and a fair percentage of people (like me) would be making a conscious choice to either skip a generation or buy second-hand only anyway (at which point if you didn't have some kind of brand loyalty you might consider jumping-ship or testing the waters on another system).
  11. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Two notable comments...

and a very funny one. Thanks for the insights and the grin.:2thumbs:
  12. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Someone needs to hack the app and trick it to thinking the E-P5 is an E-M1. Cause I don't think olympus will update it. It would be a perfect camera for me if this feature were included.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    +1 !

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Mu-43 mobile app
  14. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    I dont have much faith in contacting Olympus. Six months ago I sent them the following email.

'Please can you enable the SCP by default in future products
    rather than have it 'off' by default.

Please see this poll I made on Dpreview. 90% of respondents say
    that they enable SCP despite it being 'off' by default and buried
    deep in the menus.
    Of course many buyers never find the SCP and as a result
    find 'Olympus menus' difficult.

There are 100 respondents to the poll, so you can think of it as
    a request x 100!!'

If you ask me this falls under 'bleeding obvious' for Olympus.

The response looks like a fairly standard one.

While appreciating your interest, we are not able to refer to
    the external site and are not thinking of updating the firmware
    for OM-D E-M5 at present. However, we are constantly making
    efforts to improve our products. Therefore, we are always grateful
    for customers' opinion.

Thank you for taking time to write us, and we are
    looking forward to having your continued support.

Best regards,

T. Katagiri
    Customer Support Center

On a brighter note, I saw Terada quoted by 43rumors saying that the EM-1 touch user interface will be improved through a firmware update. At least that is a start.
  15. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    It would be nice if the touch interface on Olympus cameras was comprehensive i.e. available outside of the shooting and playback screens.
  16. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Olympus's touchscreen interface is halfhearted and hasnt really been improved over the last couple of years.

It is especially important they improve for the Pen series (EPM and EPL) so they can cut down on the buttons and increase the screen size.
  17. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Definitely. The touch-to-focus and touch-to-shoot is great but the rest is either non-existent or clunky (thinking of the zoom-in, zoom-out function during playback. The touchscreen on my NX300 makes it feel like a Galaxy smartphone.
  18. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Olympus really sucks in this department
  19. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    Addidling 'features' is part of a manufacturer's marketing strategy, it allows for product differentiation and a desire amongst 'us' poor mortals to buy the next iteration (but largely driven by technology innovation, viz improved sensor).
  20. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    It's interesting. A lot of people use what happened with the Canon 7D and it's hyped 2.0 upgrade as an example of feature/function addition. Yes, it added a few things that should have been baked into the original firmware - mostly for video. Did it make much of a difference in the image quality or ergonomics and handling of the camera? Not really, no. I remember being excited (as excited as one can be for a firmware upgrade) to update my 7D. Meh... It didn't suddenly turn my camera into some new thing. It still had the same focus quirks and other things that you just chalk up to design.

You should buy a camera for what it can do now. I don't think it's wise to buy a camera and be hopeful that the manufacturer will devote resources to features when it will make virtually no profit off of releasing a firmware update.

You can bet Olympus is reading the forums. I highly doubt those people are anywhere close to any of the support positions. They are probably so far up the R&D chain that they're likely anonymous to any of the front-line contact points consumers have with the company.