1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Will Oly OM-D outsell Fuji Pro, Pentax KO1& Panny GX1?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am still very much excited with this new born crown prince of MFT format . Olympus has managed to make an absolutely killing product and especially the price range is perfect . I don't care what people think of hump , new sensor and what not , I am gonna get it .
    Now I had a look of samples on the net at high ISO and if they are to be believed , Olympus has hit the jackpot .
    Now there are two new players in mirror less field ..
    1) Fuji Pro 1 - APS-C sensor and a killer camera with killer lenses in pipeline from Fuji
    2) Pentax - Boxy but sexy Pentax K01 - again APS-C sensor and a huge collection of lenses already available .
    Now If I believe the image samples , I don't think Olympus is far behind in IQ from above camera especially at ISO3200 . I know we need proper full sizes images before we jump to the conclusion . But I have a gut feeling that this Olympus is gonna outsell Fuji Pro1 and Pentax K01 easily .
    Moreover its gonna pose a major threat to Panny GX1 as well .
    What do u think ?
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Obviously it will outsell the X-Pro 1 easily; the X-Pro 1 is aimed at a niche market with no previous user base on the X mount.

• Like Like x 1
  3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I agree. I think it'll outsell the X-Pro 1 mainly because the Fuji is aimed firmly and a niche market, and more importantly is priced at a niche market. I don't think it was ever intended to sell at mass-market numbers...

The K-01... Hmmm, I see it basically as a K-r with a slightly better sensor (the 12mp K-x/r sensor was already very good), no eye-level finder (OVF or EVF) and, ah, peculiar styling... It's a mirrorless without two of the main benefits of mirrorless - size (it's K-mount, and so it constrained by the required flange-back distance), and an EVF. I think it will sell poorly.

The E-M5 seems to have found a great balance between styling, functionality, features and price, and I think it will sell very well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    OM-D will outsell all of them combined! :eek:

Ok, maybe not...but the odds and payout is worth a bet. :cool:

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Where's the option for "It will outsell all three", or the options for 2 out of 3? xP I think it will outsell all three (individually, not combined!), personally.

6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I didn't know how to edit poll, I submitted quickly so now can't do anything .Do u have any idea how to edit poll?
    Cheers
    bhupinder

7. Jemski

Jemski Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2011
    Philippines
    Jeremy
    It will out sell all three,individually, as Ned mentioned.

8. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    If you figured out how to edit the poll, you might as well allow multiple choices.

I think it will easily outsell both the X-Pro1 and the K-01, but if Panasonic can keep up production of the GX1, it would be a close call...

9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    It will out sell all three,individually, as Ned mentioned. Maybe only GX1 will be a close call.

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I expect that outselling the Pentax K-01 will not be a badge of honor. Unless the IQ is earth shattering, it just hasn't been well received.

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    A little realism would be nice

I'm very much amazed at the lack of any rational comparison of features, or any realistic appraisal of this camera, by forum denizens everywhere. It seems everyone is in one of two camps: either over the moon about the OMG (yes, that's deliberate), or thinks it stinks.

Realistically, the Oly appears (if it's marketing hype holds true) to have some very nice features, but it's far from the "only" choice in mirrorless or the "best" mirrorless camera in every respect. The GH2 offers some features that the Oly doesn't. The reverse is also true. The Fuji and Pentax offer the potential of better IQ, but neither the Oly, Pentax or Fuji has actually been put to the test yet.

The GX-1 will, I think largely appeal to a different audience; those who do not want a big EVF sticking out the top. We don't really know much of anything about the Pentax yet. And the Fuji's never been more than a niche camera. With very high pricing and a very limited line of lenses, it's never going to compete for the volume market that m43 cameras play in.

A little realism would be nice. The OMD looks to be a nice camera. It appears to have some very nice features. It's not, by any stretch of the imagination, a revolution in photography, or even a revolution in m43. Many of it's features have been available in the GH2 for a long time, and the GH2 still offers capabilities the OMD doesn't appear to match. And its capabilities are, as yet, nothing but marketing hype. Is the AF really the "fastest" of any camera, including DSLRs? Somehow, I doubt any sports shooters are going to be trading in their EOS 1D Mk IV for an OM-D. The high ISO samples I've seen are such small images you can't tell anything about shadow detail or noise, and there's no way to know how much noise reduction has been applied.

Let's all take a deeeeep breath. Now hold it, hold it, hold it.... OK, let it out slowly. Go have a cup of tea, or a beer, and calm down a little.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Baytoven

Baytoven Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, NC
    James Isaac
    Time will tell.

13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Seeing the OM-D and what it brings to the table I really think it's a good value especially next to the competition. Olympus priced this camera right.

14. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I don't know and don't much care. I assess a camera on how well it meets MY needs, not the needs of everyone else out there. If its the right camera for me, good for me. If its the right camera for a LOT of people, good for Oly.

I wouldn't buy it because it sells well and I also am not quite enough of a snob to NOT buy it because it sells well...

-Ray

15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The OM-D is really just a bunch of off the shelf parts, but put together with some tweaks and placed in a real nice presentation. Throw in Olympus image processing and the new sensor and you can see why people are excited. Olympus still comes off as a photography company while Panasonic is still very electronics oriented. Case in point, you send your Lumix equipment for repair to the same place you send your Panasonic microwave or telephone to get fixed...at least in the US! :rolleyes::biggrin::wink:

16. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

I'm thinking like you are. So for what we can argue right now the OM-D seems to meet my needs. I will not preorder because I always want to see it in practise, but if it matches the expectations I'll buy it, and for me it will be the best camera.

17. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ

+10000% A very rational, well-considered argument. But this point is in the spirit of betting on the horses. So with that in mind, I say:

OM-D and X Pro 1 (or is it X 1 Pro, I can never get it straight) out to an early lead, especially with "men of a certain age"...

K-01 is slow out of the gate, but eye-popping IQ and video is winning hipstamatic-toting converts...

And coming out of the final bend, they're neck and neck! All three are side by side and coming down the home stretch!

But wait! What's this? The dark horse (literally) NEX 7 is coming out of nowhere! It was literally asleep when the gates opened but it's coming on strong! It's charging toward the line!

It's too close to call! They're neck and neck! Charging towards the finish!!!!

It's....

It's....

....the iPhone 5!!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

18. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I'm not amazed at all. This is the internet, where every brilliant insight and mind fart has equal weight.

@meyerweb I hope my editing of your post doesn't offend you. I found it to be a well reasoned and intelligent analysis.

Fred

19. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Outsell all three combined.

20. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    LOL. No, not offended at all.

• Like Like x 1