Will Oly ever release something between 1.2 pro and 1.8?

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So, this is just a thought.
Some people (at least me), is not that interested in buying the f1.2 primes (because it’s to expensive for me now, it’s difficult to justify the price), but will they ever release something in between1.2 and 1.8?

Why would they?
My view on this is simply: they are a company, they need to sell equipment.
I have the 1.8 primes, but want something faster.
If they produced something between 1.8 and 1.2 pro, and price it between the two lense speed I would probably buy them.
At least 25 and 45.
That would be a win/win.
Only selling more.
My gear would be upgraded.

Or would it just cannibalize the 1.8 and 1.2?
What’s your thoughts?

Jay_M

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think f/1.4 products that are priced between the current lines would be cool, but I'm not sure Olympus would risk cannibalizing their f/1.2 sales.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
Maybe they will someday when they’ve exhausted their current plans, but there are so many f/1.7 and f/1.4 lenses out there from other manufacturers, and with the risk of hurting their current lens sales, it’s probably not high on their list of priorities.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
While I don't think the companies spend too much of their time looking at each others products to decide what to release next, especially since any could have stuff in development at the same time with one of them looking like they copied the other if they release a very similar product soon after the first, when in fact they probably had no knowledge of the first one coming out, both Sigma and Panasonic have a few f/1.4 lenses already released.

Also the Oly Pro f1.2 line are much more than simply more aperture so it isn't as simple as they took the f1.8 line and tweaked them. The f1.2 line were likely completely new designs. So with that said, the question becomes if you made a line of f1.4 lenses which way do you go with the design and which line of their own will they compete with? You could simply design based off the 1.8s and remake them with large apertures (but lacking the Pro features) so their price point would be closer to the f1.8 line and likely cut into those sales. If instead you go from the Pro side and downgrade them a bit to get to the f1.4 you end up with kind of pricey f1.4 line that while not having all the features of the Pro, may be good enough cutting into the Pro line. The problem with either of those choices is the profit margin on the Pro line is high so it is a good line for them and I suspect while the margins are much less on the f1.8s, they probably make up for it with volume, so that line represents a steady profit.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
I'm still just wondering when one of the companies (Oly, Panny, Sigma) is going to fill in that one obvious gap in the lens lineup between 75mm and 200mm for primes. Sigma made some rather popular macro lenses that they had 4/3rds mounts at 105/2.8 and 150/2.8 both of which did true 1:1 macro. Oly only has the 30 and the 60 in their macro line up, so something in the 90-110mm range seems like a logical one with currently no competition in that focal length.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
i'd just like to see them update the 1.8 line with weather sealing

This. A thousand times this.

I cannot quite believe that - a full decade after the system launch - we don't have a single weather sealed prime without going to the large aperture premium lines? (And even then, something like the Noc is not officially W/s!) .

We have great weathersealed bodies, but nothing small to pair them with. Quite amazing. Particularly for a company that has produced the small and retro themed Em5 series. If ever there was a body that cries out for small W/s primes, it's the EM5i, ii (and iii?). Its illogical not too, given ruggedness is a promoted feature.

imo, the glaring hole in the lens lineup isnt in the aperture range. its in the functional side of things. Even if it was just the one lens. I cant be the only one who'd buy a w/s 15/1.7, 17/1.8 or 20/1.7 the day they were released to run on an em5i or Gx8, can i? Heck, i'd probably even go for a w/s 17/2.8 if thats all there was!

None of which is meant to denigrate the w/s zooms or 1.2 primes. They're awesome. But if you're building a small and compact w/s body.........

Last edited:

Wibbly23

Mu-43 Regular
it's the same thing pentax had with their amazing DA primes. they had a 15, 21, 35, and 70, all super tiny, all amazing IQ, NONE weather sealed.

if olympus weather sealed, with updated coatings V2 of their tiny and versatile primes i'd be very tempted to buy them all and build a small case (like the pentax da limited case) for them. would be a compact shooter's dream.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
I don't need optical perfection and weather sealing, I just like f1.4. I have the PL 25mm. Might add the Sigma 56mm, but waiting on reviews. I would get the 16mm f1.4, but it's way too big. I would like a 16/17/18mm f1.4, but not one that is the size of my 35-100mm f2.8!

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
They could release a 25 1.4 and a 25 2.8 pancake. Then they would have 25 mm pretty much covered. :biggrin: Oddly, I’d buy the pancake if they made one.

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don’t think a weather sealed 1.8 would cut it for myself.
I would rather have a un-sealed 1.4. That would open my wallet.

But it feels strange in a good way. No GAS with current lineup.

Rumored Em1x is to expensive, em1mkII also.
If they sometime release a em5mkIII that crushes em1mk1 I might go into GAS mode depending on price.
But for now. Nothing.
Guess I should appreciate that a little more. ;)
And focus on technique. :)

Saledolce

Mu-43 All-Pro
This. A thousand times this.

That would be easy money for Oly, I don't think the R&D cost would be high and most of us would pick two or three. They should also give ws to pen F, that would be a great prime shooters kit.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I don't see enough value in f/1.4, I didn't experience enough loss going from a PL25 f/1.4 to a 25mm f/1.8 to justify swapping wholesale to a bunch of f/1.4 lenses at the same focal length.

Latest threads

Top Bottom