1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Will it fit the think tank retrospective 5

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by StefanKruse, Mar 1, 2016.

1. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    hi
    Looking for bag to fit the following kit when travelling:
    E-m10 with oly 12-40
    Samy FE 7.5
    Oly 40-150
    On occasion i might replace the samy with the oly60mm or an e-pl5 with the pany 20mm
    Also will bring batteries, filters etc.

I really like the look of the think tank retrospective 5 and the small size but will it fit? Any alternative suggestions that have that kind of look?

Also looking at the various bag post I see a lot of people put the camera lens first or lens down into the bag. Is that better tHan camera down? I though lens down could somehow put stress on the lens/camera at the connection?

Thanks

2. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I have the Retrospective 5 - it's a great bag, especially for travel; but: Which of the Olympus 40-150mm lenses are we talking about? If it's the f/4.0-5.6, no problem, it's the same size as the 14-150mm II, and that fits in alongside the E-M10 and the 12-40mm and the Olympus 25mm without any problem; I have included the 7.5mm fisheye a couple of times without the need to leave any of the other lenses behind. I also carry charger, battery, memory cards - in fact, a whole travel setup. But if it's the f/2.8 lens, I don't think it'll fit well - if you rearrange the dividers, it might still work, but you might have to place the second lens (the prime) underneath the camera/standard zoom combo in some way ... Not something I'd do. In this case, I'd suggest considering the Retrospective 7 - it's just that little bit bigger that's needed.

M.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  3. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Thanks MoonMind
    It's the 4.0-5.6 - do you think I might fit both samy fe and only 60 mm?

4. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I don't own the Oly 60mm, but I think it should be possible - but if it's a workable solution is another matter. The bag has additional inner pockets (with optional velcro fittings to close them); I've used them to put two primes in each of the lens compartments, but those where mostly very small: the Olympus 12mm, 17mm, 45mm and the slightly more bulky Sigma 60mm. The 7.5mm hasn't the smallest of footprints, though - so fitting it together with the Sigma 60mm (which is still smaller than the Oly) in one space would probably mean having to stack one on top of the other - with the help of the side pocket (I'd put the bigger Sigma on the bottom); doable, but not very elegant, especially if you want to get out the lens that's further down ... I've stopped using the bag this way and now put a single lens (with its hood) in each compartment; it's a lot more convenient that way. But for travelling, purely for transport, it shouldn't be a problem.

But here's a possible solution (out of many): You might want to use a separate lens bag - more precisely, a lens changer; ThinkTank offers some, albeit rather big ones - but the most useful one I (newly) own was recommended by David Thorpe on YouTube: the LowePro Lens Exchange Case 100AW. Not only does it hold an additional lens that can even be quite large, it also helps with changing lenses because of its fold-out pocket - it's actually like having a third hand: fantastically useful. It's well made and - like the ThinkTank bags - comes with a raincover and a strap; it's also reasonably compact - but not too small.

EDIT I: I just tried it - you can even put in the E-M10 with a small prime (I used the 17mm f/1.8). Nice to know ...

EDIT II: ... and it'll also attach to the side of the Retrospective 5! There's a loop on the side of the bag you can slip the LowePro's tab through. Really good stuff!

M.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  5. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Great MM - do you store camera with attached 12-40? And do you store it camera or lens down or sideways?

6. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The E-M10 with ECG-1 (additional grip) and 12-40mm attached (including its hood in place) sits in the middle, lens down. Side compartments are used for lenses, front and rear pockets for accessories (including rain cover). It all fits snugly and feels just right.

M.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Thanks I think I found my bag :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I don't have my retro any more. But the 40-150 and 60mm are about the same size as I recall and the same size as the 12-50. They should fit on one side (length wise front to back of the retro 5, one on top of the other). The E-M10 and 12-40 in the center, and the FE 7.5 AND the E-PL5 with 20 might fit as well. Here is a link to a post in bags and more with how I had it set up.

Bags and more bags

• Like Like x 1
  9. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Thanks davidzvi
    Seems the bag should accommodate transport great as well and allow me to pack quite some gear, then when going on actual trips I might pack for special requirements.

10. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    Love my Retro 5. I carry it around everywhere, usually with a few primes or my 12-40mm and an extra. The 75mm is a good medium range lens to go along with it. Or the 8mm fisheye for going wide.

You shouldn't have much trouble packing the camera, 40-150 and your 12-40. It might get a bit tight with the extra Samy in there with everything.

If you're in a store and can compare the two, check out the Retro 7 as well. It might give you a bit more room if you need it.

11. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Thanks robcee - unfortunately non of my local stores seem to carry the 5 (only the 10) and I really want something as small as possible for travelling ( will be going to Bali and Lombok) for 3 weeks and do no want to carry too much stuff on trips, thus the 5 looked optimal.

12. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    Well I hope it works out for you. I love mine, even though there are times when it does feel a tad too small, it hasn't forced me to buy a bigger one. I can even carry it with the 40-150 pro on my EM1 but that pretty much fills it.

Good luck on your travels (and nice photo stream on flickr! Followed!)

13. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Rob
    The Tenba switch 8 will hold the 40-150 PRO with out the camera attached, an E-P5 with the 12-40 PRO attached and enough room for one or two small lenses.