1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Will it be possible to use the EM-5 MK-II flash on EM-5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by whatisaw, Feb 8, 2015.

1. whatisaw

whatisaw Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 4, 2015
    This is the flash which EM-5 should have been shipped with in first place. The tilt and swivel functionality is sweet.
    But I think there is an extra pin in the flash hot shoe on EM-5 MK-II.
    Will it make a difference?
    BTW I am a complete newbie in these matters.

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... no ..... go to the Olympus site ...

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I really think it's nuts not to make products backwards compatible. Yes, you do need to advance and sometimes leave old tech behind, but we're only talking about a couple of years, less if you consider say the E-M10. Does this mean the accessory port on all past cameras becomes redundant and nothing new will be developed to take advantage of this port?

• Like Like x 1
  4. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Has anything been developed for the AP2 port since the E-M1? I don't think so...

I guess people won't be able to use that rather useless Dual-Macro LED light... I bought that on sale for a good price and still marvel at how useless it seems to be.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Obviously they haven't, but I wonder what they had in mind when it was developed in the first place.

6. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    Even though I've sold all of my Micro 4/3 gear in favor of DSLRs, this flash is something that I REALLY would have wanted on a Micro 4/3 body. Go figure that Olympus gimped it by making it incompatible on any previous camera.

And it's only $59.95 from Olympus! This would have sold like hotcakes if they hadn't gimped it on purpose.

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/fl-lm3-flash.html

Straight from the Olympus website:

7. whatisaw

whatisaw Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 4, 2015
    Ok then we can close this thread.
    And thanks Olympus.

8. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    How useful is a bounce-able flash with a guide number under 15, anyway?

I happen to like the non-bounce version. I throw it on the hot-shoe, set it to -2.0 flash compensation and run around with the camera... It's an easy way to add a catch-light to available light portraits when the general light source isn't directly behind the camera.

9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Surprisingly good with a fast lens for improving the quality of light, if not the quantity by much. The little bounceable GM1 pop up flash works quite well in this respect with a fast prime.

10. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    A guide # of 15 is perfectly usable for bounce flash, especially if you use a fast lens or don't mind using a slightly higher ISO like 400.

11. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The AP2 was originally designed for PEN expansion, but there was no way I was going to buy a camera that I couldn't use an EVF & external flash at the same time & many others obviously thought similarly with the success of the OM-D models & so the AP2 has really outlived its usefulness for the (later) OM-D models (except for the PENs).

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    There are never enough accessory ports for any electronic device.

13. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Except when it's adding unnecessary height to the camera & hardly any reason to use it. I'll also add, those Twin LED arms are next to useless too.

14. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    If it means they can reduce the size of the mk2 by 4.6mm then I am all for it. Hooray for smaller cameras! Stick the accessory port somewhere else.
    If it means connecting with a wire, well, that's not so slick. But its more flexible. I connect my wireless remote via a wire to the USB port. And they have added a PC port for flash. Maybe there will be a wire from that to the new flash?

It gets interesting when you want to plug a number of items in at the same time. If everything uses the hot shoe contacts or accessory port, it gets tricky.

15. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    My mistake, it's GN is actually 28'. That's semi-usable. I'd love to know what the battery draw would be like taking a bunch of bounced photos with it though. The battery in the E-M5II is already not so great.

I know using my FL-LM2 on my E-M1 at normal power does affect battery life substantially if I'm not using negative flash-exposure compensation to dial it back to fill/catchlight.

Anyone want to try fitting a Jackrabbit-style or Underdog battery to one of those? ;-)

16. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    I wonder what Olympus's rationale was for making an entirely new hotshoe mount with a power pin just so the flash could continue to draw power from the camera (Besides the obvious - taking out backwards compatibility). Battery life with Micro 4/3 cameras is already not great due to the power-sapping EVF/LCD.

Nikon makes the SB-300, a simple, small flash with a tilting head that runs off AAA batteries. Canon makes a similar flash, the 270EX II. I seriously wonder why Olympus didn't do the same considering that using separate batteries for the flash would have likely led to faster recycle times, better camera battery life, and would have maintained backwards compatibility with older cameras:

D3S_0134-on-d600.

17. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    They still could do that. The mini flash is just so the specs look competitive. But it does not use much power if used as a trigger for off camera flashes. And you could buy the Nissin i40 mini flash and save the price of an Olympus flash.

18. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    How likely is that to happen after they went through all the effort of making a new hot-shoe for the E-M5 II just so that this new flash couldn't be used on older cameras?

19. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I meant they should keep the bundled flash for reasons I posted above. This will also save you having to charge up and carry some AA batteries as well. Just buy one extra (non Olympus) BLN-1. So you will save money as well as save space compared to having a powered flash.

20. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    28 in feet, 9 in meters (at 100 ISO)