Will I miss 25mm 1.4 lens when my Sony RX1 arrives?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by oldgarfield, Jun 18, 2014.

1. oldgarfield

oldgarfield Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2014
    I have an EM5 with a couple of lens, including panny 25mm 1.4, 20mm 1.7 and 14mm 2.5. I got a good deal for an RX1 and already bought it.
    So now I am thinking to get rid of some of my compact m43 lens. 14mm 2.5 and 20mm 1.7 for sure will go now as I don't use them often anyway.
    I am debating whether I should keep 25mm 1.4 which is my most used lens for now. Can Rx1 replace it? I do have 45mm 1.8 for portraits and 12-50 zoom for other purposes which I will keep.

I know FF 35mm lens is like 18mm in m43. So definitely there are some differences between 25mm 1.4 and RX1 lens. But I use 25mm 1.4 mostly for landscape, flowers, scenary and sometimes for my kid. Anyone have both can help to provide some suggestions? BTW 25mm 1.4 with EM5 is not quite pocket-able compared with RX1.
  2. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    rx1 has a virtual teleconvert mode to simulate 50mm fov

edit: and it will destroy the m43/25mm combo in any qualitative measure at pixel and at greater level... it is an absolutely stunning system
  3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Not this year, and probably not next. But in 3 or 4 years, when m43 sensors are better than the RX1s...yeah, you might. Of course, you can always buy it again in a few years.
  4. oldgarfield

oldgarfield Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2014
    Sounds like I am going to say byebye to my favorite lens now... Need to make up for the cost of Rx1. Got Rx1 for $1300 refurbished. Great deal but of course much more expensive than Em5+25mm 1.4.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I might have a different view from others. Having my RX1R is quite a different experience than my M4/3 system. RX1R has noticeably better ISO performance, also love the Zeiss lens even at wide open, beautiful color in result and the oh shallow DoF is something the M4/3 can only dream of (or with Voigt 17.5 0.95 but MF only). That being said, I don't use it much, I absolutely hate the AF on RX1R, it is slow, it hunts whenever shooting indoor even with static object. I have come home with a fair share of OOF photos. I guess I am spoiled by the M4/3 lightning quick AF which nails 99% of time, which I rarely need to check focus after a shot. Don't get me wrong, the RX1R sensor is totally awesome shooting landscape, flower, and scenery when the sun is up and bright. But for moving kids, your successful rate is down to single digit percentage IMHO. To answer your question, no, RX1R can not replace your 25 1.4 with EM5, it does a few things quite better, but it simply can't do a whole lot of different things
    • Like Like x 1
  6. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    as Lowtec has said, static yay, sports/fast movement nay.

my work's HQ are putting on a competition where I could win a Sony A7 and even if I did win it, I'll be using my m43 for speed shots, video and telephoto.