1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Will I damage the camera?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by lubov, Nov 3, 2011.

1. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    Up until recently i was very happily using zeiss 50mm on my canon dslr. I was using an adapter with a chip for focus confirmation. It worked and I was happy.
    Then one day when I was handling the adapter the chip fell off.
    Spent an evening trying to fix this to no avail.
    Oh well I thought I will just rely on my eyes, but when I took a picture the mirror locked up.
    So I bought another adapter off ebay but the camera doesn't seem to recognise the chip as there is no focus options and the focus light does't not come on. I would be happy to use it like this and just do with out the focus confirmation except for one thing that bothers me. When I turn the camera off the the screen at the top and the back do not go out until I either dismount the lens or open the door t the cf card input.

My question is do I risk damaging the camera if i continue to use the adapter?

I have another adapter coming in the post, but I am beginnning to lose faith in them. The companys that sell them seem to go under different aliases on ebay and all seem to sell the same product and have very limited customer services!

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on the matter.

2. Sounds a bit weird. I've never tried any chipped adapters on my EOS cameras; I just use the magnified live view like I would with m4/3. My feeling is that I wouldn't be using it if it was doing strange things like that...

• Like Like x 1
  3. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks for the input, I'm using a canon 1ds alas there is no facility for magnified live view.
    My predicament now is i,m not sure if I take the chip off in case the mirror locks up like it does with the my first adapter whose chip did fall off.

4. It may be that when the chip fell off your old adapter there was still something on it that was touching the lens contact points inside the mount.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I can't think of any way that a chip like that should impact the camera.

On the chip that isn't doing anything -- I think the chips need to be programmed.

Have you ever been to POTN? Digital camera photo galleries, gallery database, info and forums. It's a great site for all things EOS/Canon. They might be better equipped to help over there. LOTS of Canon experts (it's where I used to waste all my time before m43. Now I waste it all here :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you're having to buy replacement adapters anyways, I would just get non-chipped adapters so you have nothing electrical in the way.

• Like Like x 1