Will I choose right this time?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by kstano83, Jan 21, 2014.

1. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    first of all I start with quoting myself...

now I'm like: what was I thinking? Some time passed and that 600D is big, heavy and UNBELIEVABLY borring to me. I dont like canon lenses at all. Very soft wide open (and I dont want fast primes to use them stopped down). I have had Rokkor 58mm 1,4 converted to canon mount.....i LOVE that lense for it's sharpness and colors, but manual focusing on this camera is a nightmare. LCD has focus peaking stretched to the edges, and waiting for that focus confirmation in the EVF is only good for stills. If there is a tiny bit of action (my son) I have no chance. Is it ditterent using manual lenses on m4/3 cameras that on small DSLR?

I have read the forum, reviews for many cameras, but I'm very indecisive. I definitely want something that is as good or better at high ISO that the 600D. Must focus FAST (in low light too), have many manual and custom functions. I'm still not sure about an EVF. My wife wants to use LCD, me too, but I'm too kinda paranoid not having one. I used point and shoot cameras years ago, but maybe I have forgotten weather it is limiting not having an EVF or not. Size also matters to me. Probably no DSLR grip style body (or is the size between G3/5 and canon 600D significant?). I want something small. Not pocketable, but small. To be honest, I'm leaning towards panasonic or olympus cameras most, for their amazing lenses and I really like GX7 most of all (but it's $1300 in where I live (Slovakia)

This time I don't want to choose my next camera the way: meh, I'll take this, but unfortunately, there are no local shops that have m/43 cameras so I could try them. Also, I'm not a big collector. All I want is one good zoom lense and 1 or 2 (or 3, or...) fast prime lenses. Bokehlicious all the way :biggrin:

Camera prices are about 20-30% higher in my country than in the states but I have a brother going for a road trip in the US so he might get something there for me.

What should I choose from guys?

2. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    The GX7 is a good candidate. Why not buy a used one from the US? You'd save a ton of money and you'd have something you will like.

BTW, the E-P5 is brilliant for your needs. Although it's more expensive than the GX7, you could still do pretty well with a used one from the US.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    I think silver's advice above about buying used is sound and a very good route. You can something great for so much less. I found my E-M5 practically brand new for $460. That being said I think the Panasonic GX-7, Olympus E-P5 (no viewfinder however but you can attach a external one) and Olympus E-M5 are all great candidates for what your looking for. If you can stretch it maybe even the EM-1. Also I would wait for the Olympus EM-10 to officially be released at end of this month as its so close now before making a final decision (it may check off all your needs so you never know).

• Like Like x 1
  4. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
  5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Both Panasonic and Olympus tend to drop the price over time, but their flagship models drop much slower than others. Olympus does a lot of deals where you get rebates on lenses when bought with a body, good if you want to build a system.

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Yes and no. For moving subjects, manual focus glass use is all about predicting where something will be and timing your shot. Your Canon will do better than most m4/3 bodies tracking things that are moving. What Canon glass do you have that you consider boring/soft wide open? I have to say that while I love my m4/3 gear, my two favourite AF lenses to date remain Canons (35/1.4L, 135/2.0L); not cheap, but definitely not 'soft' wide open. You need to spend a little to get the most out of a Canon system, unfortunately.

m4/3 is pretty much equivalent to most APS-C sensor cameras, certainly Canon, but not better. Some APS-C cams may be marginally better, FF will definitely be better, but the magic trick here to improve low light photography is possibly getting an Olympus body with IBIS - which allows shooting quite a lot of subjects at pretty significantly lower ISO values, regardless of whether the lens has optical stabilisation or not. Given that you want dials and twiddly bits, but no grip, the E-P5 might suit you best, though the E-M5 is certainly pretty low profile (and the first impression most have is that it's small than they though it would be). I love my E-M1 now, and it's a more refined camera, but the value proposition of the E-M5 is really tough to beat right now. Plus the E-M1 is much more 'DSLR-y' (and more comfortable to hold) than the E-M5, although both have much better controls than the xxxD series Canon cameras. Olympus Marketplace (eBay Germany) semi-regularly has refurbs available, with kit lens (which is ok, but slow and not really critically sharp), fairly regularly. AF speed really isn't a problem.

The alternative is the GX-7 if you prefer Panasonic's layout. Upside: built-in EVF. Downside: apparently slightly less good IBIS, and no IBIS for video. For lenses, what to get depends on your demands/requirements for the zoom. The 12-35 is relatively compact (feels quite a bit smaller than the 12-40, and has IBIS, and is cheaper right now), excellent quality, fast aperture. But very limited range. If you'd rather have a super zoom (one of the 14-150 options) for maximum versatility, there's always a tradeoff. In terms of primes, it's tough to beat the 45/1.8 for value, and there may be an olympus 25/1.8 coming very, very soon at a similar sort of price point - if performance is in a similar ballpark, it's definitely one to watch out for. On the wide end, the 14/2.5 panasonic is a bargain, and a true pancake lens.

Ir you really want bokehlicious, though, you may want to save for the Oly 75/1.8, or just mount the Rokkor, which will be a very nice portrait length.

7. rjl1246

rjl1246 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Robert Lietz
    I was just looking at Aden Camera in Canada, which has the E-M5 priced at $759 or about $690 US dollars. I don't know if that would be of interest or even feasible, but it seems pretty competitive and might be a way to get a new camera for not much more than used. Here is the link to the black camera, though they have the silver as well, at the same price, which is listed in Canadian dollars. There's a currency converter, although the US price is shown in dollars when you add it to your cart and select US for your address.

http://www.adencamera.com/product-overviewer.asp?ProdID=3941&Category=6

I hope this helps you sort out your choices.

8. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    I never used servo focusing on my canon, so tracking is not a problem. I use 50/1.8 and it is ok for the money but is too soft for me. 50/1.4 is not any better except faster focusing and costs a lot. I cant really afford any L lense.

I have heard about the IBIS on olympus but this test really impressed me about panasonic IS. How is the IS on GX7 video really? Some say it doesnt work on manual lenses only, and some say it doesnt work at all. Also, how does the GX7 manage to refocus during video? This is the feature im missing on my 600D a lot.

Bacis all around zoom lense is enough for me. I dont like and never use tele lenses. And the more I use the 50/1.8 on canon the longet I find it. I need something wider.

The price for the E-M5 is excelent but its still that DSLR look/shape that I dont want. Can I get a link to any other canadian store with such nice prices? :)

I have also been thinking about a fuji APS-C like X-E2. Bigger sensor, nice sharp lenses, I like the controls, style is very appealing to me and the IQ is really nice (I think). I dont know much about those ISO values chating though.

Ah its getting tough over all. Sometines I get doubts about the whole thing of getting other camera.

9. It seems to me like that a new camera is not your best bet. Get a book, get online, do whatever, but you need to read, read, read. Learn as much as you can and Practice. The Canon 18-55 IS is a dandy little lens. A little on slow side, but it's a solid little performer.

Buying new gear isn't going to make up for a deficiencies you are creating/causing in the process. It definitely won't help you understand ISO any better than you already do!

Have you tried the controls of the X-E2? How are you sure you like them?

I don't mean any offense by any of this. Just seems like you are trying to convince yourself of something you might not need.

The one thing that you seem sure of, is that you want something smaller.

• Like Like x 1
  10. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    This was the smartest thing I have read in a long time....THANK YOU!
    Looks like I need to shoot as much as I read the web :)

11. :)

I am guilty of the same thing... and I, too, recently made a change from FF to MFT. The jury is still out on if I'm totally happy with the move, but I am 100% happy with decrease in size/weight.

When you find a photographic area that you are lacking, and equipment is the best way to address it, then is the best time to looking at buying stuff. It's too easy to turn to new equipment when that's not the answer.

If you're looking for a great read on photography basics, give this a spin:

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Edition-Photographs/dp/0817439390

• Like Like x 1