1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Will i be downgrading? Nex gf3 or epl3!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by steelerdan69, Aug 23, 2011.

1. steelerdan69

steelerdan69 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    So I'm selling my nex3 to purchase a gf3 or epl3. Leaning towards the Olympus. Will I be downgrading?
    I'm just a casual shooter coming from P&S camera but I want to get more out of shooting. I have my nex on eBay for sale with both kit lenses!

Seller name is "steelerdan69"
    Thanks

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    It depends on which lenses you used with Nex. If you only used native AF lenses, then switching to e.g. E-PL3 coupled with Panny 20mm will be a major upgrade in image quality due to excellent optics.
    I recommend E-PL3 over GF3 as it will give you more opportunities to have fun with photography: better controls, ability to add external flash (great for macro), VF-2 or VF-3, IBIS and tilting screen. What exactly didn't you like with Nex? Lens selection?
    I also came from P&S almost a year ago trying out Nex-5 first followed by GF2 and shortly after I settled with E-PL2 and still very happy after almost 7 months using it (20k clicks already).

• Like Like x 1
  3. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    It depend to what you're looking for in m4/3? and what m4/3 have that NEX not have?
    For me it's the native lens that let me choose between Oly and Pany compare to 4 native lens of NEX, and the second is the compact size of body+pancake/prime lens...although sometimes I like to make my friend with DSLR jealous with ZD 14-54 and 40-150 lens...:-D

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It will definitely feel like an upgrade! :big grin:

I don't think the GF3 is Panasonic's best option. It is definitely small, but you lose out on a lot of features (hotshoe, stereo mic, etc.). If the choice is between that and the E-PL3, I would go with the Oly. You may also want to check out the Panasonic G3, a bit bigger but with built in viewfinder and better sensor, or the previous model GF2 packaged with the nice 14mm prime lens... some great deals out there now and check out the 14mm image threads here. That said, I went with the Olympus because of the in-body image stabilization.

When I was researching, I was attracted to the NEX series, but chose m4/3 because I felt it was a much stronger system. What you essentially have through the end of this year with NEX is 3 very interesting bodies (incl. NEX7), but only one decent lens in the upcoming Zeiss. So... where is the system? If I only wanted one focal length, think it makes a lot more sense going with something like the Fuji X100. Also, you have Sony's proprietary track record and focus on the consumer (not enthusiast) market.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hell no! You're upgrading into a complete photographic system, instead of just one camera and a handful of lenses. You now have support of professional accessories such as external flash, studio strobes, external mics, etc. to take your photography to any level you want.

Good lenses (with full electronic compatibility), including top-pro glass, can be adapted for either system with either a Sony/Minolta Alpha mount adapter (for the NEX) or a Four-Thirds mount adapter (for Micro Four-Thirds). However, Micro Four-Thirds actually has an impressive selection of fully native primes, from m.Zuiko, Leica, Lumix, and Voigtlander. All very good glass makers. The Micro Four-Thirds system is like the Pentax system of the digital age, in terms of quality primes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CCRoo

CCRoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    Which Pentax system do u mean? Not my Dad's 110? :)

7. robertmwilliams

robertmwilliams Mu-43 Regular

I had a Nex-3 for a while.
    While it is an interesting camera and I liked some of the features very much (handheld twilight comes to mind), I feel it has been a step up moving to a PEN.
    While I am 'only' up to the E-PL2 at the moment, I find it to be a great camera.
    The quality of the photos are really amazing even with the kit lens.
    Also the Olympus give me addition features like wireless flash and a EVF (albeit optional and expensive) that the Sony never did.
    An additional bonus has been that the jpg engine is so good that I spend less time shooting raw and post processing than before. Don't get me wrong there are some situations that I still feel need to be shot in RAW, but they are fewer than with any other camera I have ever owned (and there have been very many).
    In fact I just looked through my flickr account at my NEX-3 shots (Flickr: Robert M. Williams' stuff tagged with sonynex3) and can't honestly say there is 1 that is as good as any I have taken with either the E-PL1 , E-PL2 or Panny G2 I have owned (but that could just be my skill level not up to the task).
    I guess if I had to sum it up, the only thing I miss from the NEX-3 is the high iso quality (very good indeed) and no possibility of catching 'lens buying addiction' :biggrin:

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Whether this is a downgrade or not depends on what you plan to do with your m43 cam. If you just plan to get a kit lens, yeah, I'd say its a downgrade. The Nex has the advantage of a bigger sensor that, all other things being equal, has better image quality and is better in low light. If you're just gonna get a kit lens, all other things are pretty close to equal and I'd consider it a downgrade. Not MUCH of a downgrade, but I don't see any real reason to do it.

If, OTOH, you're looking at expanding into some better lenses, then I'd say its not a downgrade. Its an upgrade in terms of the native lenses available for the Nex now and soon and long term its an upgrade if staying with a smaller system is part of what you want. Nex will probably eventually have a reasonably complete line of native lenses and the next one, the Zeiss 24mm f1.8 is likely to be a phenomenal lens (at a price to match). But its larger than the Nex kit lens and most of their coming lenses are that size and larger.

But m43 has a very good lineup of native, auto-focus lenses available right NOW, so if that's part of your thinking, you can definitely expand your horizons. But if you're just planning on staying with a very basic setup, I'd keep what you've got...

-Ray

9. steelerdan69

Aug 23, 2011
    Always been a fan of Olympus and the lens of the 45 f1.8 is the reason and it's new. Just can sell my next eBay ,had one watcher but didn't bite.

10. bob13bob

bob13bob New to Mu-43

Jul 6, 2011
    please keep in mind you're asking in m43 forum so answers are a bit biased.

fact: nex 3 has the largest and best sensor compared to m43.

the problem is lens availability, but if you're going the adapted route, teh nex can take much legacy glass just like m43 cameras.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's not actually fair, as many Micro Four-Thirds users are also NEX users.

fact: Sony and other APS-C and Full Frame camera manufacturers have far more marketing hype around their products than Olympus could muster in another 25 years (Panasonic's too new in the industry to comment on).

I think that's a good enough reason to ask an opinion on an Olympus or Panasonic system from real-live people who use them, rather than just taking in what you hear from sales staff and "internet gurus" who are only educated in Canon, Nikon, and Sony products. That's what forums are for.

• Like Like x 1
  12. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    /begin sarcasm
    Thanks for the 2 excellent posts (2 out of 2 total since your registration) on how the users here are biased towards m4/3. :2thumbs:
    /end sarcasm

13. dayou14

dayou14 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    I've used both M43 and NEX. I sold my NEX-5 couple of months ago, but always it was with a tinge of regret. You see, it has given consistently superlative results with adapted M-mount Voigtlander 35 1.4, which then becomes a 50mm thereabouts walkaround lens.

I wanted to consolidate to one system, and M43 was the easy choice. So many good native glass.

I tend to agree that the undoing of the NEX system is currently their mediocre glass. If you attach their 18-55 kit lens, u will get very average results. I done it and can attest to that. However, if you attach many of the classic legacy glasses, it is a totally different story.

When NEX-7 comes out, I'd probably snuck one and then couple it with my Voigt 35 1.4. It would probably be my 'legacy lens workout kit'.

But I'm under no illusions that it can replace my current M43 set-up. Ironic as it is, a 4/3s sensor system now is superior to an APS-C sensor EVIL system due primarily to system strength.

I'd say sell your NEX and buy an EPL-2, fix a native Oly 45 1.8, and enjoy the superlative results. I'd do exactly that.

Bian

• Like Like x 2
  14. steelerdan69

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks brother! Thats what I'm trying to do! Trying to sell me need nex3 with both kit lens but no bidders or buyers! I've gone as low as $500 and nothing. Really want to go small (epl3) with the 45 1.8 lens. Later

15. steelerdan69

Aug 23, 2011
    Sold! No comes thru who to buy and what color o choose. I like red but the black look nice. What color guys!

16. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I like the white one! But I don't think it would go well with most of my dark colored lenses!