Will I be disappointed if I put an Olympus lens on a Panasonic body?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Johnny1.33, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Some of the Olympus lenses are cheaper and I am guessing it's because the image stabilizer is in the olympus bodies versus lens with Panasonic. But if I put the olympus lens on the panasonic body am I going to be disappointed? Is handshake that bad without IBIS or OIS?
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Depends on which Oly lens and your expectations.

IBIS/OIS is wonderful, but it is not magical. Generally, IBIS/OIS simply allows you to shoot a scene without the need of elevating your ISO, use fast lenses or use a tripod.

Raising the ISO, while very practical, has the drawback of increasing noise and contrast. At some point the noise becomes so dominating and distracting that the image starts fighting the noise for attention ... at that point the image loses value. On the GF1, for my tastes, ISO 800 is the breaking point between acceptable noise and unacceptable noise.

Understanding how a light meter works and careful metering will go a long way to successfully handhold a camera in low light situations.

Learning low light/slow shutter camera holding techniques will allow one to shoot under the shutter speed rule-of-thumb.

Fast lenses help to minimize the need for IBIS/OIS.

While not very practical, a tripod easily trumps IBIS/OIS.

Don't get me wrong, I think that IBIS/OIS is wonderful and I wish all my lenses/cameras has IBIS/OIS. But there are ways and means available to shoot in low light situations without IBIS/OIS.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    So I wouldn't all of a sudden get tons of blurry picture with the olympus on the panasonic?
  4. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    Not if you know what you are doing. Image stabilization whether in-body or in-lens is a relatively new technology. There's more than a century of sharp photographs made without it. IS gives you maybe a couple of stops more hand-holding ability than without it. If you pay attention to shutter speed and lens focal length and understand their effect, you should be able to make plenty of sharp pictures with an Oly lens on a Panny.

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    That entirely depends on:

1) Your shutter speed;
    2) The focal length of the lens;
    3) The speed pf the subject being photographed;
    4) The distance of the subject to the camera;
    5) How steady you are: and
    6) If you are using a tripod.

If you're not using a tripod ... then your shutter speed is the most important factor in eliminating camera blur.

For handheld, non-action photos the rule-o'-thumb for 35mm photography is not to have a shutter speed less than the reciprocal of the focal lens of your lens. So if you're using a 200mm lens don't shoot under 1/200th (1/250th) of a second. If your using a 30mm lens then don't use a shutter speed of less than 1/30th of a second. Many feel that the ยต4/3 sensor, with its 2X crop factor, that one need to multiple the 35mm rule by a factor of 2.

For action/fast moving subject don't shoot under 1/250th of a second ... but in some cases you can get by with 1/125th.

• Like Like x 1
  6. StephenL

StephenL Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2010
  7. wildcat

wildcat Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    I use the Oly 14-42 and 40-150 (as well as several non-stabilized legacy glass) on my G1 and get fine results. Using the viewfinder on the G1 helps to stabilize the camera. I appreciate the IBIS on the E-P1 since it only has the LCD, so there is no viewfinder to help stabilize.

Of course, I grew up using that legacy glass with my Minolta SR-T 101, so IS seems like a bonus...
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Image Stabilization is a great bonus, but far from a "necessity".
  9. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    learning to hold the camera steady is a technique everyone should learn, without relying on IS of any kind.
    Only IS lens I have is Pany 14-50 from the L10, tested on the GF1, at 1/30 sec handheld, I could not see any difference in sharpness.
    At 1/8 sec the IS made a huge difference but would not expect 100% keepers.
    Combining good technique and IS can extend the usability of a relatively slow lens, but I always try and rely on good self stabilization first.
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    An eye level viewfinder does help with stabilizing techniques, but is still not a necessity. Learning to use your own body to brace against yourself is the most important thing. This becomes natural after a while, as your body learns new forms for steady camera shots.
  11. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

I use the 14-42mm MK II on my GH1 with wonderful results. Just get in a firm stance, take a breath and shoot. I sometimes brace against a building or tree if practical.
  12. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    That's one of those things that has been tossed along the wayside... how to hold a camera properly. We're now expected to hold a camera at near-arms length to see the screen, when every camera manual since the 1950's shows how to hold it close to your body (and eye) to get a steady base from which to shoot. That alone makes an on viewfinder worth its cost, IMHO. I was never taught to hold my breath, just the opposite, more like firing a rifle, controlled steady breathing, and between heartbeats if you can discern that feeling (a little yoga will help).
  13. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Exactly what he said! Technique will get you a long way, and to be honest it'll get you much further than IS...

These were all taken with the m.ZD 40-150 on a GH2 - so no stabilisation in sight. The sailing shots were taken from a moving boat.

• Like Like x 2
  14. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    actually for the original question, i use my olympus 14-42 mk I lens on the G1 body i have and it focuses much faster on the g1 than it does on the epl1 i have, so no i dont think it will disappoint at all.