1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Will i be able to use my nikon and m42 lenses with a canon eos mount focal reducer?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by colbycheese, Jun 7, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I am trying to decide on a focal reducer and i think getting the canon EOS one (i am not sure if its EF or FD) My question is will i be able to get an adapter to use my m42 and nikon stuff with it and still have infinity focus with those lenses? I am also confused as to what they mean by EOS mount, is it both EF and FD or is one not used anymore? This would be the one i am buying: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Focal-Reduce...738?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d574a39a2

Edit: does this specific adapter have screws were the focal reducer glass is so you can move it forward and back. It mentions that it might have to be adjusted for OMD cameras

Thank you

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  2. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    The EOS mount and the FD mount are very very different. No adapter will accept both types of lenses. The EOS mount does exist in two slightly difference variants. The full frame version and the APS-c version, the latter allows lenses to protrude rearward a little bit further. The APS-c variant of the body flange will accept either type of lens. I would suspect that most (all??) mount adapters will accept either type of lens.

3. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Alright that makes sense. How would i be able to determine if i can get infinity focus using a m42 and nikon adapter on top of the EOS speed booster? From what i could find is that they will focus but i need another opinion before i order. From the page for the adapters it says it is compatible with the following

"Canon EOS 1D, 1DS, Mark II, III, IV, 1DX, 1DC, 5D, 5D Mark II, II 7D, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, 70D Digital Rebel T2i, T3, T3i, T4i. T5i, C300, C500"

EDIT: i did some reasearch and found that the canon fd mount isnt used anymore. So i am assuming EF mount is the same as EOS mount?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  4. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Yes, the "EF mount" is the proper name for the original full frame EOS mount. The APS-c variant is properly referred to as the "EF-S mount". Both of these have the same register (flange face to film/sensor distance). The EF-M mount is electrically the same but is completely different mechanically with a different flange and a different register. Check out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_lens_mount

5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The focal reducer lenses are in a threaded cylinder. You can loosen a set screw visible on the back, and rotate the cylinder to adjust it, if it hits your EM10 innards. Different cameras, it's not just OMD's, have slightly different shelf bezels above the sensor, The lens carrier touches some of those bezels.

There must be some difference when the carrier position is changed, but I've not seen it.

The ebay notices also warn about a blue spot if you shoot a scene that has lens flare. I have seen flare, but not seen the blue spot.

6. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Regarding flare, would a lens hood help with this problem? I only really plan to use it indoors but might take it outside.

7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yes, you can easily use Nikon and M42 lenses with this using simple, cheap eBay adapters (only about $5 each).

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    alright thank you. Any chance of getting adapters for any other mounts, like say the konica ar?

9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    No, Konica AR is impossible because it has a shorter flange focal distance than Canon EF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

Look at this list, and anything longer than 44mm should be possible. That means Nikon F, Contax C/Y, M42, Pentax K, Olympus OM, Leica R, and certainly any Medium Format lens.

Do not try and buy any Canon FL/FD, Konica AR, or Minolta lenses if you want them to work with your focal reducer.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Ok. Thank you