Will Crockett Video Review of Lumix G5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DHart, Aug 25, 2012.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    A good, balanced overview of the G5. Not in-depth, but a quick introduction.

I think the G5 will be a very big seller for Pany.

[ame=http://vimeo.com/48116693]A Real Life Lumix G5 Mirrorless Camera Review on Vimeo[/ame]

• Like Like x 6
  2. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    He'll have to pry the RAW files out of my cold dead hands :p

3. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I'm a RAW only shooter myself. I am going to try some of the filters, however. At least while I await Adobe RAW support. :smile:

4. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I wish he would speak a little faster; found myself reaching for the (non-existent) accelerator control on the video...

BUT...a nice intro to the camera. Thanks, Don, for posting.

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Hrm... I'm a little put off by the initial G3 is "too slow/poor AF". I stopped the video right there.

6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Pretty good video, G5 looks to be a solid performer all around. I hope it sells better than the G3.

7. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    While the review doesn't apply much to my specific uses(the idea of shooting jpeg holds absolutely no interest to me, although I always try it), I like it from a general-user's perspective. It makes sense if you're comparing it to entry-level Canon and Nikon DSLR's as he is.

He mentioned this in the dpreview forums(he seems like a pretty cool guy). I think what he means really is that the G3 can take a long time to empy out RAW buffer, and, more importantly you can't really do anything while photos are buffering. He likes the GX1, on the other hand, which doesn't have this problem.

I don't, however, get the complaints of AF accuracy. Then again, I always use single point or pinpoint AF, with the occasional tracking, so I can't comment on other AF modes.

I really do like the idea of AFF. He gives a good explanation of it.

8. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Napilopez... Yes, I think he's gearing his intro to the camera toward non professionals who want to move from the bulky DSLR to mirrorless and aren't particularly interested in post processing.

Of course, the camera is a great choice for such folks, as well as for those with more sophisticated utilization who pretty much only capture RAW.

I have never had much use for JPG capture, but just for the fun of it... I do plan to play around with some of the JPG modes just to see what they can do. Though I'm a RAW capture and LR processing lover, I'm not above trying out some creative modes for fun. :smile:

9. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    Alan
    I enjoyed thevideo over all give a good review of the camera, like quite a few others here would still shot in RAW. Just trying to justify the cost of moving up from my GF1 at the moment. Might wait untill been out for a bit and price drops. I would still try all the options like in the video but I still think Raw is the best way forward for me as a photographer. :thumbup:

10. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    Checked out Will's various sites and was very impressed. I also noted his comments on the G 3 and looked to see if I could find the review but I never did. Also didn't really agree about the flash issues with the GX1, but overall very good sites, professional production and one of the sites has a free instructional video every month. Posted back and forth a little with Will on the other forum and he is a real nice guy - very active on that form.