1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Will Canon buy Olympus

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by zerotiu, Dec 6, 2011.

1. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    43rumors news Will Canon buy Olympus

I feel excited when I first read this. Maybe Canon has something different if they decide to buy Olympus. That feeling doesn't seem last longer after reading the second last pharagraph :frown: . Anyway, it's still unreal and we still have panasonic

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I call BS.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Unfortunately it just sounds like yet another sad opinion from someone who thinks that because a company who doesn't build the exact camera system that THEY want means that said company will cease to exist. If Olympus does fold it won't be because this guy didn't get the mythical built-in viewfinder or waterproof lenses that he wanted.

• Like Like x 3
  4. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    This blog post is very old. Its author seems to have serious issues with Olympus. I don't really want to get into protracted argument, but it's also very... delusional, for lack of a better word.

5. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    It is just a matter of time before we are all dead.

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    That'd be cool. And if Canon joins m43, this format will become defacto gold standard for mirrorless, way to kill off Nikon competition.

7. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    It's impossible I think, m43 has it's own market. I'm just very shocked when thinking about that sentence :biggrin: because I've saved a lot of money for my master study and spend the rest for my hobby in photography (investing in m43 system :biggrin:)

8. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

How can you take seriously a site that puts white text on a black background? :big grin:

They did say this however and I thought it humorous: "What is pretty depressing is that if you are active on three photographic-equipment-centric forums, you know most of the serious Olympus users around the entire world."

Is that true? :rofl:

9. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Will Canon buy Olympus?
    Will Olympus break up with Panasonic?
    Is Pentax happy with Ricoh or just pretending?
    Will Minolta finally leave Sony with the children?

These are the Days of Our Lives.

• Like Like x 8
  10. robertmwilliams

robertmwilliams Mu-43 Regular

Great, now I'll have that sappy theme music and giant hourglass in my head all day long! :rofl:

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    With the strength of the medical imaging/endoscope business, Canon doesn't have NEAR deep enough pockets to play amongst the people that will be bidding on it. You're talking GE, Johnson&Johnson, ... the camera business is a drop in their bucket - and an uprofitable one at that (although, with their apprent disregard for honorable accounting, who knows what costs and profits got thrown where).

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    lol... I think this quote says it all...

Poor Zone-10. They got screwed by Olympus because Olympus ignored the "free ride" Zone-10 gave them and didn't pick the design which they wanted. Wow... haughty much?

--------------------------
    When I read through the article the one theme kept popping up over and over... if it doesn't look like a DSLR, it's a P&S. The control system of a GF-1, GX-1, or PEN camera looks just like any DSLR and nothing like a point-and-shoot. The functions are those found in any pro-grade DSLR, and not in any Point-and-Shoot. The body designs with the exceptions of the new Mini and Lite look like rangefinders, which again is nothing like a point-and-shoot. But then, I guess since rangefinders have no viewfinder like a DSLR (obviously the height of photographic technology), they must be glorified point-and-shoots too... Don't ask me how cameras built with only manual control and manual focus lends itself to a P&S... Oh, but the NEX system is pro now since the NEX-7 has a viewfinder, even though the Sony menu system looks like... gee, a P&S... and the NEX-7 is the first NEX to ever carry a hotshoe or an EVF for that matter. I simply can't keep up with all the self-contradictions in this article.

He validates his points by using his own prejudiced terminology based on how he sees and prioritizes things, with no reasoning based on the actual function of the products. What is a P&S according to him, anyways? Well, apparently something that "looks" like a P&S to him. So he probably calls the Canon SX30IS Powershot a pro camera...
    [​IMG]

13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Honestly, why do we worry about what guys like this think? It's clear he has issues and doesn't even have his facts straight. So let him sit in the corner and sulk while we enjoy our doomed micro four-thirds cameras and systems.