Will a Panny GF1 will remote fire Olympus FL36R?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by PatDoody, Aug 3, 2011.

1. PatDoody

PatDoody Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011
    NJ, USA
    I Just sold my Nikon D70s and sb600 and I am already missing the built in wireless flash control ability.

Is it true the GF1 using the pop up flash will remote fire an oly FL36R? I think I read somewhere it will not have ttl functions but that is fine with me. I just dont want to lug around [and buy] a wireless trigger set up.

2. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    FL36R and FL50R flashes have TTL remote with oly bodies and old-school optical remote in manual mode.

I kept my Nikon SB800 for that: built-in optical flash trigger.

3. PatDoody

PatDoody Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 29, 2011
    NJ, USA
    I have a nikon sb600 that I thought worked that way as well, but I havent been able to get my gf1 to fire it.

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    If the GF1 has the remote wireless firing capability for the Panasonic equivalent flashes (which I think it does), then I think they should also be able to wirelessly trigger the Olympus flashes as well.

5. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    Check the specs, but I don't think it does. The panasonic built-in flash implementations are pretty sparse. This was part of my reason for choosing Olympus.

6. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    The FL-36R has a slave mode that will fire when it sees another flash. That should allow your GF1 to fire it remotely.

You'll have to use the camera/flash combination just as you'd use a manual flash (set guide number, aperture, etc.), but your GF1's pop-up flash should be able to trigger an FL-36R set to slave mode. See page 37-39 of the FL-36R Instruction Manual for the Slave Mode setup.

7. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Only the top nikon models ( sb50dx, sb80, sb800, sb900) have old-school optical slave built-in. Sb600 works only with the cls wireless in the nikon cameras and needs an external one for standard optical slave.
    Oly put the optical slave in both the fl36 and fl50. I don't know about the pana ones, bit i think the don't have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

8. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    The GF1 can trigger the FL36R in slave mode for sure, I've been using this setup a few days and it works great. Ok, there's no TTL, but I still get really nice results by just putting the flash in the corner of a room, bouncing it on the ceiling, and operating it in slave mode.

9. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    I can confirm that GF2 can trigger FL36R in dumb slave mode. It is following every flash so it can be used up to 1/2 of its manual power. First half is fired during pre-flash and second half during main flash. Unfortunately when set to 1/1 whole capacity is fired during pre-flash and FL-36R is recycling during main flash.

10. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    I don't use a pre-flash with my GF1, and just set the onboard flash to -2EV compensation for a little fill flash. Enough to trigger the slave. Works like a charm

11. garfield_cz

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    Grrr... there is no possibility to disable pre-flash on GF2 :( Never doesn't mean better, sad true :(

12. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    I'm not really a flash expert, but are you using red-eye reduction?

13. garfield_cz

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    Unfortunately there is no way on GF2 how to disable pre-flash as camera is always pre-flashing for sake of scene metering. Enabling Red-eye reduction means that pre-flash is more intensive or longer and I am not using it as its influence is more than questionable.

So far I am assuming that old school single flash is possible only when manual external flash is attached to the hot-shoe.

14. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Now that I think about it you're right, GF1 doesn't do wireless. I think maybe the first m4/3 that could do this was the E-pl1 (since it was first Oly with flash?).

What you could do is go buy a cheap 37mm infrared filter (on ebay they are $10-12), then hold it over the flash - this will allow the IR wavelength through to trigger the slave flash without actually having the on-board flash affect the shot. I did this a few times (with my bigger IR filter) and it works - If I remember I'll post an example tonight (IF!).