Will a Panny G series help me with sports shooting?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by WT21, Jul 15, 2010.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I occasionally take kids sports pics. Mostly outdoor soccer games. So, I purchased a 45-200 to go on my EP1. I also use it for candids.

However, I am finding that I'm missing shots, mainly down to two challenges:

1) Keeping the subject in the frame (this is for sports more than candids). Using only the LCD which is all the EP1 has, and the blackout factor, makes this a challenge.

2) I find the EP1 focus square is quite large, and it often focuses on the background, even if the subject isn't moving. This is probably my main complaint.

Would a G series work better for these uses than the EP1? Does the EVF vs. LCD help in any significant way, or is the blackout factor still an issue. I've heard the Panny's focus square can be made a bit smaller. Anyone have any experience between the Oly and Panny on this focus issue?

I really love my EP1 all around, and this is my only challenge. I'm trying to decide if I should get a second m43 body like a used G1, or go back to a small DSLR like a Canon XSi + 55-250.

Any relevant experiences for this kind of shooting is much appreciated.

2. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    G1 Owner

The G1 (and presumably other Gs) does provide for adjustment of the spot AF zone. I have chased my 2 puppies (ankle-biters that are kitten size) and gotten a few decent action shots. Need lots of light and practice to keep them in the viewfinder. I do not use the LCD except for stationary shots.

Lee

3. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    The blackout factor would still be an issue on the G1. The camera is just not that great for tracking something.

4. antithetic

antithetic Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2010
    City of Angels
    I've been able to capture some candid photos of kid cousins at play or any other scene that has fast motion/tracking. I set the AF zone to be center focus and relocated the focus to the video button instead of the half-shutter press.

My reasoning for the two changes was that with the focus point being the center. I can reliably assume that the center of the frame will be in focus. If the subjects are moving but within the same depth of field, I don't need to refocus with every shutter press. I can concentrate on keeping the subjects in the center of the frame and re-focusing if they go in/out of the depth of field.

I'm still learning the craft so take my advice with a grain of salt. Others who are more experienced can hopefully correct and clarify if I'm approaching it all wrong.

5. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    WT21,

I have the 45-200 and several other lens and have used them on an E-P2, an E-PL1, and the G series at various sports venues to include Little League baseball. I have some keepers that are very good but usually have to take quite a few shots to end up with them. The only thing that you can do is to try and anticipate what the shot might be, pre-focus, and shoot when you think you will get the best action shot and hope you get lucky. For the most part, m-4/3s is not going to be a great performer for capturing real sports action no matter which camera you choose as they are just not fast enough. You can however make a go of it and of course can get some great side-lines and more static shots associated with the event. I'd add that if you can project the movement (especially if it is in a straight line), focus in, hold focus at half press, and continue to pan and track the object/person, you can get a good image. I have done that with airplanes as they land/depart from an airport near to me and I have been able to capture some very clear and decent images with the 45-200mm.

I have also used the Rebel line to include an XSi I owned and a T2i I borrowed. They are better (not by much), but still lacking. My advice is that if you really want to capture fast action, you need to get a camera that has a higher FPS rate such the Canon 50D or a similar DSLR. The prices for the 50D have fallen quite a bit and there are also come good deals on used ones to be had. I saw some decent used deals recently at Adorama.

• Like Like x 1