Wildlife video with G9 and Leica Elmar 100-400

Little Fish

Mu-43 Regular
In this video I use the 2x digital zoom, and Ex-Tc Conv. Shot in 4K and rendered to YouTube's FHD upload recommendations. YouTube's 1080/30p quality is impressive using the low bitrate they recommend. This video was shot in 4K, and render PowerDirector 12 and rendered to 1080/30p 10,000bps. The video contains a mix of various clips shot with HS4K feature, 65%VFR 4K MOV, and 30p MP4 format. Considering the time it takes to upload 4K at 48,000bps, the FHD is better for cutting upload time. And, these clips are straight out the camera, no color tweaking or grading, no extreme exposure changes. Also, shot with Program Exposure mode using Exposure comp for fine tuning exposure wile filming. The G9 can change exposure comp while 4K is recording. Yes, I shoot Program Exposure for my wildlife videos. It allows me to focus on composition, camera movement.

I think the editing could be a bit more dynamic and the video shorter but the image quality is great and also interesting infos about bitrate and uploading. Thanks for sharing!

Could you elaborate more on 2x digital zoom, and Ex-Tc Conv? You used both at the same time?
Never thoughtuch about trying video on my GX9 but will give it a shot.

I remember briefly from when I had a G85 that the autofocus on 4k was much slower than at 1080p. Is the G9 better in that regard?

Little Fish

Mu-43 Regular
I think the editing could be a bit more dynamic and the video shorter but the image quality is great and also interesting infos about bitrate and uploading. Thanks for sharing!

Could you elaborate more on 2x digital zoom, and Ex-Tc Conv? You used both at the same time?
Never thoughtuch about trying video on my GX9 but will give it a shot.

I remember briefly from when I had a G85 that the autofocus on 4k was much slower than at 1080p. Is the G9 better in that regard?
Thanks for your response, and it's great to know you will be trying out some 4K video. The 2X zoom and Ex-Tc Conv are features on the G9 that allow you to shoot video with a zoom or a digital External Teleconverter crop/view without the penalty of light loss and time changing the lens mounts. But no ability to crop video or photo unless you shoot 4K and render to smaller resolution, thus no room to crop video. I often switch the 2X zoom on while the Ex-Tc Conv is on for more range using the C ustom dial modes (fast and efficient). A compromise of the 2X or 4X Digital Zoom feature is, the Animal Detect AF and stabilizer are also deactivated. Which IME is not an issue because once you shoot video beyond 400mm using any of these features, a tripod is needed for any useable 4K. But for photo, a fast shutter speed and some practice can make it handholdable.

As for the AF speed with G9 video, I found when using Cine-likeD or any of the dynamic range features in low light is notably slower to accuire.

Thanks again for your questions and response. I wish more people would get into the video aspects of these mirrorless cameras. After all, photographers already know how to nail exposure and focus using varous methods. And more importantly, they know composition and lighting. Soon as you get use to the work flow of video you'll see it's very similar to photography. Enjoy your new venture, and enjoy the outdoors.

Last edited:
Thank you.
After your explanations I also found this following video quick and easy comparing the methods (4k cropped in post, 4k digital zoom, 1080p ex-tele)
Leaving here as reference.

Little Fish

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for posting that test video. It's a great reference for seeing what the Digital Zoom and Ex-Tc Conv can do on the G85 compared to cropping the 4K video. The resolution in 4K looks great as does the full view of the Ex Tc Conv. 4X cropping the 4K looks good also. But I would not try to crop the camera's digitally cropped results, as the video file data is already optimized and limited.

Little Fish

Mu-43 Regular
Thank you.
After your explanations I also found this following video quick and easy comparing the methods (4k cropped in post, 4k digital zoom, 1080p ex-tele)
Leaving here as reference.

After seeing your post, I did field test the Lumix G9 and 100-400 Elmar lens on a Lewis' Woodpecker. Ran through the ranges of 100mm, 200mm, 300mm, 400m, 400mm with digital Ex Tc Conv, 400mm with 2X digital Zoom, and 400mm with 4X digital zoom. This took about 2-3 min so the light didn't change much (no clouds).

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom