Wildlife: show us your walk on the wild side and post your wild animal photos

rfortson

Mu-43 Veteran
E-M5 and 75-300, f/6.7, 300mm, ISO 200, 1/640
8578325019_3740e13cf8_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P3154317.jpg by fortsonre, on Flickr

E-M5 and 14-150 at 150mm, f/5.6, ISO 200, 1/320
15674212044_8297f46243_b.jpg
P1160536 by fortsonre, on Flickr

E-M5 and 75-300 at 300mm, f/6.7, ISO 200, 1/250
16133169728_281ccbdc29_b.jpg
POD19-365 by fortsonre, on Flickr

E-M5 and 75-300 at 300mm, f/6.7, ISO 400, 1/200
14020950191_dc10a3bc48_b.jpg
P4269548.jpg by fortsonre, on Flickr

E-M5 and 14-150 at 150mm, f/5.6, ISO 250, 1/250
12627960645_38b763eb03_b.jpg
P2169336.jpg by fortsonre, on Flickr

E-M5 and 75-300 at 300mm, f/8.0, ISO 200, 1/800
12001559884_6eb8a6a6cb_b.jpg
P1179019.jpg by fortsonre, on Flickr

E-M5 and 75-300 at 300mm, f/6.7, ISO 320, 1/800
12001564524_63278f712e_b.jpg
P1179039.jpg by fortsonre, on Flickr

woof

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I hope no-one minds that I am also posting this also in Show Birds thread. A while back I mentioned that I do not do wildlife much. That was in the contxt of a very long shot of a Barred Owl. I caught him again this weekend, but was closer and so got a cleaner shot on him. He was sleeping in a tree very close to the edge of my property... my kids nicknamed him Sleepy the Owl.

p359905481-5.jpg

p456641461-5.jpg

Panasonic Lumix G6 with P 100-300mm

faithblinded

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
I was at my favorite haunt today, Beaver Marsh. I was in search of an owl which I failed to get any shots of. I saw this fella on the way back to my van and it was a great experience. He crossed the beaver pond, then the towpath, and finally the canal. After that he disappeared into the brush. He didn't seem to mind me following him, that or he couldn't figure out what I was, since I was doing my best to stay low and quiet as I moved across the boardwalk. The final shots I grabbed were much closer than when I initially saw him. Had he made me properly, he wouldn't have let me close the ground, I think. Helps he was upwind of me. These are fairly severe crops.

He heard me for sure:
P2046401-X2.jpg

But continued his casual walk across the pond.
P2046406-X2.jpg

I lost sight of him near the end of the boardwalk but he popped into view as he crossed the path. I was moving forward after I lost sight of him, but froze and knelt when he popped up. He heard me again, but if you look, he isn't gazing my way.
P2046433-X2.jpg

He turned and crossed the canal. I used the opportunity to take a few more crouching steps forward, which of course he heard. He paused one last time, and finally looked right at me, before disappearing into the brush where I couldn't follow.
P2046440-X2.jpg

tradesmith45

Mu-43 All-Pro
Awesome Ken, good going! Sorry you didn't find the Screech Owl

30+ yrs ago I was in the Grand Tetons in a snow w/ wind storm. Spotted a group of 5 Coyote young ones - had found the den few days earlier. They crossed a beaver dam. I fell in behind & followed them through numerous adventures for most of a day. The loud wind meant they never even looked my way. It is such a privilege to able to spend time as these creatures struggle to live!

Have learned of a new Gray Fox den w/in 5 mi. of my house - yeah. Have started plotting how to approach this - camo clothing? blind? calls?

Do you know how to make a prey distress squeak on the back of your hand?

faithblinded

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Awesome Ken, good going! Sorry you didn't find the Screech Owl

30+ yrs ago I was in the Grand Tetons in a snow w/ wind storm. Spotted a group of 5 Coyote young ones - had found the den few days earlier. They crossed a beaver dam. I fell in behind & followed them through numerous adventures for most of a day. The loud wind meant they never even looked my way. It is such a privilege to able to spend time as these creatures struggle to live!

Have learned of a new Gray Fox den w/in 5 mi. of my house - yeah. Have started plotting how to approach this - camo clothing? blind? calls?

Do you know how to make a prey distress squeak on the back of your hand?

Wow sounds like a good day! This is my 2nd coyote sighting in the park, and the first time I had a nice look. He and his kin are probably why the small mammals at beaver marsh are so hard to see, LOL.

Nice find on the fox den! I'd start by getting to know the terrain, without ever getting too close to the den. Find high ground you can lay prone and observe from(not flat ground, for circulation sake find an incline of some kind). If there is no high ground, you need to find cover, preferably downwind of the den. Park yourself in the cover 30 minutes before sunrise by creeping in as slowly and quietly as you can, and wait.

I don't have any experience with prey calls. I know they work for hunters. Coyote and fox hunters/trappers swear by rabbit calls. I don't know about doing them on my hand, but the calls are about 10 bucks, and well rated. There are videos on youtube that teach you how to use them convincingly. I've probably heard enough rabbits meet a predatory end in the forest that I could pull it off with a call already. It's a distinctive sound, and not all predators finish their rabbits quickly. If you wanted to try it, start by finding the best cover adjacent backdrop you can funnel them into as they investigate. Place yourself in the cover, and give the call. Wait at least 15 minutes before trying again, as they may stalk stealthily to the area of the "injured rabbit". With a den in range it should work if you do a convincing injured bunny. One of the guys I follow on youtube uses a rabbit call to pull in coyotes for pictures, and it's been on my to try list for a while. Let me know how it goes if you give it a go.

tradesmith45

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks Ken. So far I know the general area of the den after seeing a fox couple times heading to the same area from different directions & can triangulate from that. Will do just as you suggest for a stakeout but from what I can see of the likely area, there's lots of brush. So finding the exact 6 for the den my be tough.

Besides squeaking, I'll try scratching. Both have been good for bringing some predators in.

Yes hearing something screaming as its being attacked redefines what you think terror sound like. Not something you forget.

BTW, had an "educational" response from a pair of Eagles I was trying to approach while carrying my rig on an extended black monopod & wearing camo. I'm pretty sure the Eagles thought I was carrying a long gun & lit before I got anywhere near them. Going to try some cloth camo wrap for the upper section of the monopod. If that works, will do the same for the tripod.

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
It's called Alligator Alley for a reason. I'm not sure if you can judge his size from the photos, but he was pretty big.

16273998859_5ceb7509f5_b.jpg
Untitled by dynasportfxdx, on Flickr

16272807540_c6907d8a17_b.jpg

15840164293_899ebf9101_b.jpg

16274340457_635d29efa5_b.jpg

This shot is to help get a feel for his size and location.
16272547708_03f0ba6788_b.jpg

faithblinded

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Hi guys. I went to Beaver Marsh today to practice my skills with BIF. I actually had a really successful day of practice, and I'm getting way better at nailing a series. Sadly, most of said shots were into the sun, or too far away, and worthless besides being good practice for me.

One of the other forest residents stepped up and decided it was their day for good photos. I visit the marsh several times a week, and yet rarely see more than a fleeting glimpse of a squirrel. You can hear them chattering away at each other in the morning, or sometimes see them playing far off in the distance, but that's it. They are very cautious, living around so many raptors, unlike the fat city squirrels I'm used to. Well, today, someone must have spiked their punch, because I've never seen so much squirrel activity at the marsh. I spotted a dozen close Red Squirrels within 15 minutes of arriving. That's probably more than I've spotted since I've been visiting this location. I posted up near one of the trees they were scurrying over, and settled in. After 10 minutes, they forgot about me, and started moving in my area again. Only one happened to come close enough for some good shots, but boy was he a cutie pie. 5 shots of 2 basic positions here. I couldn't decide which ones I liked better. Dang he's cute, though.

P2077175-X2.jpg

P2077141-X2.jpg

P2077156-X2.jpg

I'm torn with these two. I love the "pinky" resting as it is in the first one, but the hands to heart pose in the next is priceless.

P2077185-X2.jpg

P2077195-X2.jpg

chipshot713

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Kelly
Wild Tree Rat

OM-D E-M5 & P 100-300 HH OOC JPGs

At one of my Bird feeders.
P2110040-1.jpg

rhe

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Lloyd M.
P1110651zoo.jpg

Foraging in a flower bed at the Zoo. LX7

Rasmus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Did you just accidentally walk into that bear without it noticing you? Had that happened to me, I would have liked my pictures a lot more than I would have liked the brown streaks in my pants...

Latest threads

Top Bottom