Wildlife: show us your walk on the wild side and post your wild animal photos

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
Australian Water Dragon at Bulimba Creek Catchment, Carindale (Australia)
_8090008-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
wounded fawn.JPG

This morning's drive for work yielded these two fawns. There were actually three but it was was harder to get the three in the frame together in the time I had.

The fawn in the front has a pretty severe wound on it's rear hip, probably from a car or coyote entanglement. Despite that, the fawn seemed to walk just fine. Hopefully it will be able to heal and will go on to live a normal life.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
wounded fawn good side.JPG

This is the wounded fawn's good side, which initially is how it presented itself. I watched it walk with it's siblings for a few moments and didn't notice any injury or limp at all. I was in my car on the side of the road. After I took a few images they began to walk away from me so I put the camera down and began to drive away. As I began to merge into traffic I noticed they were about to crest a hill and there were circular bales in the field behind them which presented an opportunity for a more interesting shot. I pulled to the side of the road one more time and it was then that I was able to catch the injury on side of the fawn. I had no idea it was even there until I downloaded the images to my computer.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
two fawns one injured.JPG

In this shot the one on the right is the injured fawn.

ArcticaMT6

Mu-43 Veteran
f484868e-19ae-4eed-90c9-cfdc5bf4380f-jpeg.jpg

Pacific red Octopus. E-M1mk3, with 14-42mm EZ and WWL-1 wide angle water correcting port.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
View attachment 904588

Pacific red Octopus. E-M1mk3, with 14-42mm EZ and WWL-1 wide angle water correcting port.
There's a beast not a lot of folks have seen in the wild.

I've been led to believe that the Puget Sound is extremely murky, but this doesn't look too bad. Is this sort of visibility typical? Or was this taken somewhere else?

- K

ArcticaMT6

Mu-43 Veteran
There's a beast not a lot of folks have seen in the wild.

I've been led to believe that the Puget Sound is extremely murky, but this doesn't look too bad. Is this sort of visibility typical? Or was this taken somewhere else?

- K

Oh, it's quite murky. But we have been having stellar visibility lately. That was taken last Thursday and you could see the sun from 50' down. Happens for maybe a couple weeks a year. Typical visibility is ~15-20ft (5-6m), with dropping to 5ft or less in June/July. Best average visibility is fall/winter.

The little red octos are quite common, and sometimes visible in shallow tidepools. I think I saw 5 on that one dive Thursday.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The murk is near where rivers dump silt, e.g. Fraser, Skagit, Stilly and down in Puget Sound where there isn't much circulation. Around here we have some of the best underwater visibility anywhere.

ArcticaMT6

Mu-43 Veteran
DD5AF5AB-639A-428E-97FD-1D6F852DF27F.jpeg

7672CAB5-4CF5-45CF-8CD9-91884FE7E7CE.jpeg

D16BA32A-5F6E-41FD-A2D3-6C1F788C2026.jpeg

Second day out with the E-M1MK3. Not as good of visibility today but still pretty good overall. First two are Ratfish which are sort of a shark/fish hybrid, typically live super deep but come shallow in the sound. Last one is a clown nudibranch.

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
Deer Feeding by the River

p3016849190-6.jpg

p3016849235-6.jpg

EXIF info on Flickr for 1
EXIF info on Flickr for 2

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
It makes me wonder if there's an equivalent animal native to my area that others would view as exotic.
Even within the United States some animals are making a comeback in their native ranges but they have been gone so long that when they first started reappearing people were all excited about it like they saw big foot.

Here in the Massachusetts even in the "greater" Boston area a decade of so ago it was wild turkeys and bald eagles. Recently it has been bobcats captured on ring doorbells strolling through residential neighborhoods and black bears pulling down backyard birdfeeders in areas not located near deep woods.

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A wildlife photographer I am not - I simply haven't the patience and endurance required, but the start of springtime stirs the critters and me alike. Here's a swamp wallaby which was reluctant to hop off, though also very wary of our arrival around sunset. From the notches in the ears, I wonder if it had been in fights, either with other wallabies or fences.

Heavily cropped and edited in Snapseed app.

1230531-01.jpeg

moonraker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Nigel
Got a real shock yesterday, saw this in the Wiltshire (UK) countryside, not sure what sort of wallaby it is, but they aren't indigenous..
P9010220-Edit.jpg
P9010263-Edit.jpg

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
dino.JPG

Apologies for it not being m43 but when something like this crosses your path when your driving for work in the morning you shoot what you got. I'm glad I got a shot off,... otherwise no one would have believed me.

jbruce

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
John
Last time I saw one of those a Bigfoot was riding in that bend of it's neck. But ahh shucks, I wasn't carrying. Lesson learned, ALWAYS carry a camera!

Latest threads

Top Bottom