Wildlife: show us your walk on the wild side and post your wild animal photos

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
Are you bored of baby fox pictures yet? I hope not because I caught these images today on the way home. As many of you know, I have been watching a fox den in hopes of catching the mom and her babies together. It's become a tougher task than I anticipated. I did learn something today that surprised me. For weeks I've been watching one entrance to the den. Well, today I found out there are at least three entrances within 50 yards of one another. Over the next few days or weeks I'll now be keeping a closer eye on activity 'in the vicinity' of the openings so as not to be out foxed.

Below are images of two different babies today. The top two images are of one of them, and the last one who looks like she's posing for a senior picture is another.
View attachment 827061

View attachment 827062

View attachment 827063
Well done!

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
Time for some mountain goats.

They often look at you like you have 2 heads while traipsing through their domain -

Or they pay you no attention, as they’re too busy licking rocks -

Or, they insist on making rude faces at you -

Or simply want to block your path-

Or show you their butts-

Or are too busy showing off-

Some are just busy being parents-

They never mind hanging out-

But rarely like to strike the perfect pose-

Last edited:

Barking

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jeff
Irish Hares
seahaven016020 (18 of 22).jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
seahaven016020 (16 of 22).jpg

Barking

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jeff
So they drink, swear and when they get itchy noses they ready up for a fight? :p
(PS. I am guessing you made the images with vintage glass, something at 200 to 400mm, single or possibly multi-coated but not the best of quality? That rendition feels typical for such lenses)
I use an EM5 with a Panasonic Lumix 45-200...the 2nd frame is heavily cropped...shot at about 100m (handheld).

Anderle

Mu-43 Regular
2018-09-29_11-09_P9290013.JPG

From 2018 - Capra ibex
Bavarian alps

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
I use an EM5 with a Panasonic Lumix 45-200...the 2nd frame is heavily cropped...shot at about 100m (handheld).
Wow ... if I'm wrong I am very wrong :p ... strang rendition though, the direction of light looks around high noon (every single Overwatch characters started running in terror at the sound of THE WHISTLE :p ) so there should be plenty of light for high shutter speed and low ISO with even a bit of stop down on the aperture. Well, I should get back my Panny 45-200mm (that was kindly donated by a fellow community member when I was in bad need) from a failed attempt of evilBay listing and I will test and compare that lens with my Panny Leica 50-200mm out of curiosity.

Barking

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jeff
Wow ... if I'm wrong I am very wrong :p ... strang rendition though, the direction of light looks around high noon (every single Overwatch characters started running in terror at the sound of THE WHISTLE :p ) so there should be plenty of light for high shutter speed and low ISO with even a bit of stop down on the aperture. Well, I should get back my Panny 45-200mm (that was kindly donated by a fellow community member when I was in bad need) from a failed attempt of evilBay listing and I will test and compare that lens with my Panny Leica 50-200mm out of curiosity.
Hi..it probably was late morning...used shutter priority, but haven't got the exit to hand (I use LR4 and then export to Google photos which eradicated the data!!). When I next load the PC I'll dig the exit out.

I used to have an Olympus 40-150... until I dropped it! The Panny is a more flexible lens imho...no perceived loss at 200..but you have to be more precise with focussing.

Barking

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jeff
Hi..it probably was late morning...used shutter priority, but haven't got the exit to hand (I use LR4 and then export to Google photos which eradicated the data!!). When I next load the PC I'll dig the exit out.

I used to have an Olympus 40-150... until I dropped it! The Panny is a more flexible lens imho...no perceived loss at 200..but you have to be more precise with focussing.
Have now found the original exit...on shutter priority..1/4000, iso 1000 f5.6

Not sure why it would need iso 1000..?

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Have now found the original exit...on shutter priority..1/4000, iso 1000 f5.6

Not sure why it would need iso 1000..?
1/4000 is quite high for bunnies, probably why it pushed your ISO to 1000 (though it shouldn’t look to bad even 1000). Maybe it was Auto ISO.

Last edited:

smartiepants

Mu-43 Veteran

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
So these aren’t the best photos, but this guy caught me by surprise. I was out for hike, and he saw me before I saw him; after he had already decided to run up to me -

And he kept coming closer and closer. When he was about 10’ away, I yelled at him to stop. It was clearly unusual behavior, and I was concerned he could be rabid. In hindsight I don’t believe he was, he was just friendly and curious, and probably wondering if I had anything tasty on me. Either way, I got the impression if I hadn’t yelled at him, he would’ve continued right up to me, and would have been smelling my shoes or something.

So he just stood there for awhile and looked a little dejected that I had yelled at him. He got bored after a few moments and trotted off. But I’ve been in love with foxes ever since.

Last edited:

moonraker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Nigel
49972764868_61fec91fa2_k.jpg

49972765348_d21f02895e_k.jpg

49973280486_dc64b7098f_k.jpg

49973280911_8c1ec4c10c_k.jpg

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
So these aren’t the best photos, but this guy caught me by surprise. I was out for hike, and he saw me before I saw him; after he had already decided to run up to me -

View attachment 827462

And he kept coming closer and closer. When he was about 10’ away, I yelled at him to stop. It was clearly unusual behavior, and I was concerned he could be rabid. In hindsight I don’t believe he was, he was just friendly and curious, and probably wondering if I had anything tasty on me. Either way, I got the impression if I hadn’t yelled at him, he would’ve continued right up to me, and would have been smelling my shoes or something.

View attachment 827465

So he just stood there for awhile and looked a little dejected that I had yelled at him. He got bored after a few moments and trotted off. But I’ve been in love with foxes ever since.
I see picnic/camp tables in the background. Perhaps he was used to getting handouts or leftovers.

smartiepants

Mu-43 Veteran
more and there getting braver but i'm suffering from noise at 1600 ISO and the lack of light at its late evening when they visit, most are shot at 30th sec at 1.8 and they dont stay still for long!!
visitor-2.jpg
visitor-3.jpg
visitor-4.jpg

coaltrain

Mu-43 Regular
I gave up on pixel peeping....so looking at your images how they are shown here in the forum they look great! You're shooting in low light - at least what I consider low light for the m4/3 system compared to a full frame sensor. I think you did very well under the conditions!

Latest threads

Top Bottom