Wildlife: show us your walk on the wild side and post your wild animal photos

Bristolero

Mu-43 All-Pro
A sea lion swims by.
20200423-IJM18021_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bristolero

Mu-43 All-Pro
Bull Sea Lion. These guys are truly the Brown Bears of the sea. Gets your attention when paddling close by!
20200425-IJM18892_DxO.jpg

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
2 fox cubs.JPG

smokey hollow fox.JPG

These guys caught me off guard. Drove around a bend and there they were. They have a den set up in a culvert along the side of the road. I had my em10ii on the seat next to me with the 14-150ii so I grabbed it and tried shooting out the car window. I had the 40-150 2.8 pro in the bag so I tried my best to switch out the lenses before these guys disappeared but I wasn't fast enough. It didn't help that I had a dog in the car who was trying her level best to communicate with these guys.

Anyway, not the best but better than nothing. Now that I know where they are I'm going to head back there properly equipped, without Fido.

SteveAdler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Jackal
U2133381.jpg

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
View attachment 819246

View attachment 819247

These guys caught me off guard. Drove around a bend and there they were. They have a den set up in a culvert along the side of the road. I had my em10ii on the seat next to me with the 14-150ii so I grabbed it and tried shooting out the car window. I had the 40-150 2.8 pro in the bag so I tried my best to switch out the lenses before these guys disappeared but I wasn't fast enough. It didn't help that I had a dog in the car who was trying her level best to communicate with these guys.

Anyway, not the best but better than nothing. Now that I know where they are I'm going to head back there properly equipped, without Fido.
Awesome find, I can only hope to be that lucky. Your images remind me why I disliked the Olympus 14-150mm II so much, the rendition and the colors and sharpness quality is really not to my liking at all (and it's not because it's heavily cropped, it really is how this lens renders even at full resolution).

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
W0LF5771.jpg

Yesterday evening, while walking to work found this little sexy fox rummaging through the grass for food (it did find something a couple of times but I couldn't get a picture of what it was). I was very lucky with the light, the sunset was behind me on my right shoulder and it gave me really warm but strong light to get low ISO.

W0LF6158.jpg

This little guy kept bouncing up and down for half an hour around me, every 5 minutes he would keep coming back with a new critter he found, probably bragging about his spoils of war. The light was very low and muddled by the misty rain and dull gray clouds everywhere at 8 AM (after finishing the night at work this morning). ISO 6.400 at 1/125 Sec did make it difficult to get a sharp enough image when he was jumping up and down on every tree branch he could find.

Both images made with Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III and Panasonic Leica 50-200mm f 2.8-4 at 200mm. (I have a lot more images of wildlife on walkabout I do 4-5 days a week as I pass through 4 fields, 3 tree line footpaths and 4 hedges)

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Awesome find, I can only hope to be that lucky. Your images remind me why I disliked the Olympus 14-150mm II so much, the rendition and the colors and sharpness quality is really not to my liking at all (and it's not because it's heavily cropped, it really is how this lens renders even at full resolution).

It seems to have a hard time at the long end, although every once in a awhile it surprises me. The wide to mid ranges are much better. It's just such a handy focal range to have on the camera, and it's so light. The funny thing was, I had my 40-150 2.8 on the camera for the last couple of weeks. The day before I ran across the foxes I swapped it out for the 14-150 in case I spotted a wide shot I wanted. So much for that idea! Oh well, I'm ordering an em5iii this week so soon I'll have two camera bodies with me sporting proper lenses for the task at hand. hopefully. Thanks for the input.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
It seems to have a hard time at the long end, although every once in a awhile it surprises me. The wide to mid ranges are much better. It's just such a handy focal range to have on the camera, and it's so light. The funny thing was, I had my 40-150 2.8 on the camera for the last couple of weeks. The day before I ran across the foxes I swapped it out for the 14-150 in case I spotted a wide shot I wanted. So much for that idea! Oh well, I'm ordering an em5iii this week so soon I'll have two camera bodies with me sporting proper lenses for the task at hand. hopefully. Thanks for the input.
Completely understandable sentiment, I don't feel comfortable having just one camera (at least owning, if the weather is ok I might keep only the Big Oly with me). I never owned the Panasonic 14-140mm but now that Mark III is weather sealed my interest in it grew and I am juggling the choice between Oly 12-100mm Pro or Panny 14-140mm on E-M5 Mark II (but that will have to wait until next year, my priority will be Oly 100-400mm Pro next).

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
musk2.JPG

What makes a muskrat guard his musk?

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
DSCF2342.JPG

DSCF2346.JPG

DSCF2349.JPG

poetsie

Mu-43 Regular
Hoge Veluwe, the Netherlands
P1173065.jpg

JayZay87

Mu-43 Regular
Yesterday my wife and I got a report of killer whales heading up San Juan Channel, so we headed over to Ruben Tarte Park in hopes of getting a look; boy we sure got lucky! It ended up being the T123s ( a family of 4 transient mammal eating orcas), and they were on a sea lion hunt that ended up lasting an hour and a half! In the end, the sea lion managed to make it into the shallow waters of the bay and the whales gave up and moved along north. The sea lion happened to be branded for research purposes, we were able to look up his ID and connect with a pinniped researcher and he was able to tell us that this individual is a 17 year old male that consistently travels between Rogue Reef (Southern Oregon) to the haul outs at Green Point on Spieden Island (San Juan Islands). The whole time the hunt was going on I was secretively rooting for the sea lion, so I was glad to see that he escaped in the end. :yahoo:

(Photos taken with EM1 and 300mm Pro)
P5041454.jpg

P5041644.jpg

P5041813.jpg
P5041520.jpg
P5041573.jpg
P5041670.jpg
P5041862 (1).jpg

Attachments

• P5041454.jpg
    P5041454.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 134

Latest threads

Top Bottom