Wildlife: show us your walk on the wild side and post your wild animal photos

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I am going to cheat for a bit since this image was made last summer, I've been editing the pictures I kind of abandoned for 10 months now and I thought it's too cute and adorable not to share it. (First, she was wearing a tree branch like a human antenna proximity detector then she started testing the humidity of the air with the tongue ... well, that's the best guess at interpreting this strange behavior).

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I believe this is a young deer shedding his or her first winter coat. He/she was grazing near the road as I was driving this morning, so I slowed down and stopped on the shoulder of the wrong side of the road and shot this out of my driver's side car window in a light rain.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Came across a fox den a couple of days ago. I've been driving by slowly when I pass it looking for any activity. No movement the last few days but it rained pretty hard most of that time. Today I figured I'd drive by and see if there were any critters that wanted to make the cover of Fox Today Magazine (I made that up). Well, to my surprise there was a little baby fox happy to oblige ! ...

baby fox w dandy.JPG

emerging.JPG

comfortable baby fox cl strn.JPG

fox den.JPG

sleeping fox.JPG

sleepy fox.JPG

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm amazed how close you got with just 150mm FL .... the little pup is adorable, thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures @Will Focus
Thanks. The top two I shot from across the street while sitting in the driver's seat of my car. The fox didn't seem to be spooked so I backed up and pulled over on the shoulder (slowly) on his side of the street. At that point my car was pointing in the wrong direction for traffic but this is a secluded area and the road is not well travelled. That put me about 10-12 feet from him. Again, I shot from the drivers seat of my car. I think the fact a human wasn't actually walking around kept him calm. Hopefully I'll be able to catch his mom and siblings in the coming days. This guy was very small (note the dandelions). Thanks for the compliment, I'm glad you enjoy them. That is after all what they're for !

EDIT TO ADD : All of the images have been cropped to different degrees.

Mountain_Man_79

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Chris
These are from about 6 years ago in Rocky Mountain national park. My first real wildlife encounter with m4/3...using my trusty e-pm2 and 40-150r at the time. Some missed focus, but I’d say admirable given the modest kit. I also learned elk are much bigger than I anticipated, and I was much closer than I was comfortable with (about 20 feet or so in the last shot).

soundfanz

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chris
A lot of the wild camels around the Northern Territory seem to hang around the roads for some reason.
But with this one I had to exit the car and I got within about 30 metres. Unfortunately the 75mm 1.8 was the longest lense I had with me.

Camel b-w.jpg

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I caught a fleeting glimpse of the mother fox today. She isn't as sedate as her kits. Hopefully I'll be able to get them together in the coming days...

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
For many years, our regular trips always included Rocky Mountain National Park. We generally would secure rooms in Grand Lake on the Westside since most of the interesting wildlife seemed to stay there---mainly moose. Lots of elk everywhere but Moose are often hard to find close up. Near one of the campgrounds on the Westside, we were told that a female moose had been spotted so we went down a trail to the stream. Nothing! As we walked back, we heard a crackling sound in the brush and my wife told me to be still since she saw several moose in the reeds. Well, we found female moose heaven, 5 came out with some smaller ones, probably yearlings, and after surveying the situation, they came directly toward us causing me to back up. These were shot at 200mm with a 80-200 2.8 and we were very close until we backed up a little.

Mountain_Man_79

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Chris
Not the only moose I’ve ever seen, but it is the only one I’ve ever photographed. Denali National park -

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
I have been going through some of my wildlife photography. The first one was in Yellowstone where we the guest of a National Wildlife Photographer. I call it the Bugling Elk. He was tired but able to still vocalize. The second is one that I took in Rocky Mountain National Park and is of a male elk keeping track of one of his harem.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Evidently my backyard is a cool place when no one is looking. I stepped out on the porch today to see if our nesting red-bellied woodpeckers had started in on the suet feeder I put out. I saw something moving in the neighbor's pine tree that turned out to be a rather robust racoon. Something had been getting into the trash, and I figured either a racoon or an opossum. Odd for them to be out during the day, they're usually rabid or there's something else going on. I ran back in and grabbed the camera which fortunately already had the 100-400 mounted. Going out as quietly as possible, I found her. Turns out it was mom and three kits and she was bringing them down the tree. Terrible light and dark up in the tree, shot at way too slow a shutter. If it weren't for the dual IS I'm not sure I would've had any success at all.

First one down
P1048032_01 by telecast, on Flickr

Waiting for mom with a sibling
P1048040_01 by telecast, on Flickr

Always last!
P1048055_01 by telecast, on Flickr

BUSTED! Once mom saw me the action stopped. She froze with one kit still in the tree. I backed off and let her be.
P1048066_01 by telecast, on Flickr

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
A lot of the wild camels around the Northern Territory seem to hang around the roads for some reason.
But with this one I had to exit the car and I got within about 30 metres. Unfortunately the 75mm 1.8 was the longest lense I had with me.

View attachment 823991
Evidently my backyard is a cool place when no one is looking. I stepped out on the porch today to see if our nesting red-bellied woodpeckers had started in on the suet feeder I put out. I saw something moving in the neighbor's pine tree that turned out to be a rather robust racoon. Something had been getting into the trash, and I figured either a racoon or an opossum. Odd for them to be out during the day, they're usually rabid or there's something else going on. I ran back in and grabbed the camera which fortunately already had the 100-400 mounted. Going out as quietly as possible, I found her. Turns out it was mom and three kits and she was bringing them down the tree. Terrible light and dark up in the tree, shot at way too slow a shutter. If it weren't for the dual IS I'm not sure I would've had any success at all.

First one down
View attachment 824487P1048032_01 by telecast, on Flickr

Waiting for mom with a sibling
View attachment 824488P1048040_01 by telecast, on Flickr

Always last!
View attachment 824489P1048055_01 by telecast, on Flickr

BUSTED! Once mom saw me the action stopped. She froze with one kit still in the tree. I backed off and let her be.
View attachment 824490P1048066_01 by telecast, on Flickr
So much cuter than squirrels ... so much more annoying as well :p ... live and let live :)

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Mom

4Paul

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Paul Keller
A couple of days ago, this tick caught me on my morning walk - but didn't get away! (the air bubble is my involontary contribution)

4Paul

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Paul Keller
And here, the important bits.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
couple more of Mom. Kits wouldn't stay still long enough for a photo.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
P1080347 web.JPG

Western bluebird (Sialia mexicana). I was heading for some lichens and got interrupted.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Not the most exciting of subjects: Carrion Crow (Corvus Corone), found very commonly in the UK in populated as well as isolated areas of the country, they are solitary creatures living mostly alone or in pairs. They are quite clever and brave creatures, as they scavenger, hunt, and even pray on other birds. At my workplace there are a dozen extremely tall trees that hold nest and a full colony of them, numbering in the tens to potentially over 100 depending on the time of the year.

The typical and boring bird on a stick.

100% crop

Note: Finally got a trackball mouse as I needed a 2nd wireless mouse to keep in my backpack, never tried one before and the usage of them sounded strange though logical. I can't believe it clicked with me the second I put my hand on it and I got used to it within minutes of usage, extremely comfortable and easy to use. First time using it for editing images in Lightroom and it feels so comfortable and easy, quite enjoyable when doing lateral and verticle movements as its a very simple flick of the thumb. Cropping is quite easy and so less frustrating using a mouse (even a high-quality gaming mouse and very good mouse pad). I wish I have done this year sooner, I know this won't undo the over 25 years of button smashing and mouse dragging damaged that has been done on my wrists.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom