Wildlife: show us your walk on the wild side and post your wild animal photos

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
I never expected this to happen. So last year I had the amazing experience of having a few weeks old fox pup walk towards me to about 2-3 meters away and I was so excited to be so close to such a beautiful little creature. I had not noticed at that time that it's left eye was all mangled up, probably in some kind of fight with another fox:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(I need to re-edit the picture at some point, it looks a bit colours look a bit muddied and desaturated).
Yesterday morning, while sitting in the grass waiting for birds to come down into the field to look for breakfast (worms, snails, insects, etc) I noticed at the corner of my vision a fox aproaching me and I quickly turned to the right but I had the settings for Birds in Flight on (C4, no, not the explosives) and I forgot to disengange it, hence the 1/2.000 sec shutter speed and ISO 1.250. I managed to snag only 3 pictures (non of them are good quality that I hoped for):

After some heavy Dehaze editing because of the white glistening of bard wire on the left of the frame I noticed that this fox had it's left eye very injured and some battle scars on the face as well, I realized this might actually my old little friend, all grown up since we last saw each other. I have been looking out for him since but haven't seen him again ... yet but I would love to get a better chance to see how is he doing. But I am happy to see he's all grown up and quite handsome and strong looking. (Yes, I have a tendency to get very attached quite easily).

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
W0LF8841.jpg

W0LF8844.jpg

Humans decided to bring devastation to this field, cutting down the waist level grass (that I had walked through just the previous morning for the last time it seems), changing the landscape and the balance of nature withing that area ... so much drama :p
I found a fox rummaging through the devastation, looking for anything it could eat from the sudden change of the status quo but I wasn't stealthy enough and I was spotted. Did not react fast enough (I was probably still sleepy, it was just one hour after I woke up to go to work), so the fox started darting off away from me after starring down the barrel of my puny lens, grabbed a few sharp-ish images of the get-away. I would like to apologize to the beautiful fox for ruining it's dinner plans.
With the grass cut and left to dry off before turning it into cylinders for the winter, small insects and other creatures will come back in a few days so it's a good place to visit as often as possible since it would be quite a good place for foxes to look for easy meals, so probably more pictures coming soon (and hopefully my little friend will show up, but I'm not sure this area is part of his territory).

Last edited:

GRID

Mu-43 All-Pro
Set the alarm to 03 to get a early start this saturday.
The sun was blocked in the morning so i didnt get the sunrise i was hoping for, but quite a good walk anyway.

I had the Oly 300mm F4 ( 1.4 converter on ones the light got better) on one camera and the Oly 60mm F2.8 with 26mm extension, raynox250 and a Kuangren Twinlight on the other.

Rewarded on this afternoon’s walk with my wife to a local pond with a muskrat. Lens was a little short, so this is a heavily cropped SOOC.

ormetkruper

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Björn Danielsson
Had my Panasonic G90 and 100-400 lens for approx 2 months now. I wanted to have smaller gear so I sold off my Pentax APC camera and lenses and changed to m43. Springtime and a lot of animals to take pictures of.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Had my Panasonic G90 and 100-400 lens for approx 2 months now. I wanted to have smaller gear so I sold off my Pentax APC camera and lenses and changed to m43. Springtime and a lot of animals to take pictures of.
View attachment 821899View attachment 821900View attachment 821901View attachment 821903
Welcome to the forum!
I'll give my usual rant about there being a New Member Introduction thread if you should want to tell us a little about yourself. https://www.mu-43.com/threads/new-member-introduction-thread.584/
And that this is friendly forum and that all we ask from you is to see your pictures. (Färdig! /Finished!)

So you are a fan of Roffe Bengtsson!

AmstelBright

Mu-43 Veteran
There's something strange going on the dirt, yellow spots at pretty random places, is it from the processing you did? Else the image is wholesome.
The difference in the dirt is dirt versus poop... ;-) Even though it was quite striking in the unprocessed photo already, the post-processing did enhance the tonal difference a bit more, probably because the orange and yellow tones are a bit over-saturated here.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
The difference in the dirt is dirt versus poop... ;-) Even though the difference was quite striking in the unprocessed photo already, the post-processing did enhance the tonal difference a bit more, probably because the orange and yellow tones are a bit over-saturated here.
Indeed, I was expecting a bit of gradience to them or change in the light path if it was from the light. I'm guessing you used the global application of saturation instead of local (I assume you want to saturate a bit the animal's fur) adjustment. I'm not saying it's bad but it gives a feeling of a bit to Cooked in the oven :p

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
(Curious little fella. Images made 15 minutes ago, Raw files edited with auto settings on my Samsung Galaxy Note 8. The last one should have been HHHR but the Olympus app sent the 1.12 MB preview JPEG instead. Old post)

I would like to apologize for the previous images (which I have removed) for their poor IQ and frankly disappointing editing on them. They were shared from the camera to the phone in a rush and the Auto editing on Samsung phone is appalling, I have not noticed how bad it was until I saw the post on my laptop.
Here are the proper images edited in Lightroom (all the changes were made on global setting an only one had colors modified with +20 vibrancy):

W0LF0490.jpg

This evening I had no luck on finding wildlife while walking to work so I arrived at work 50 minutes early so I decided to go sit down on the old spot that I haven't visited since I found the deer in a field on the opposite side. I sat down in the grass field at the edge of a big hole that has been grown over by vegetation, just enjoying the sunset and the fresh air. I was not expecting for animals to show up so late but I still had my camera at ready just in case ... when this little fella showed up looking for food in the grass down in the big hole.

W0LF0520.jpg

The sunlight was spotty from the vegetation and a few trees and was warming up as it was set down. I was hoping to get the little fella in a few of the hotspots to light him up. He did notice me but I was quite still and not changing my position at all to no scare him away. I love the fact that I got quite an advantageous and rare opportunity of pointing the camera downwards to give a different perspective and it's not easy to catch wildlife in such a vulnerable position.

W0LF0559.jpg

The fox started looking more and more towards me after not finding anything worth eating in the grass, not sure if it was curiosity or survival instinct. The light was just perfect to light him up and differentiate him better from the grassy environment.

W0LF0622.jpg

Either he got tired of being at the bottom of the hole or was annoyed that social distancing was not being observed (I hope he didn't report me to the Police). He started going uphill on the opposite side and I was lucky enough to catch a few more moments where he was in the hotspots of the sunset while the shadows of vegetation were darkening the green foliage.

W0LF0805.jpg

After he started to calm down a little and hold still, and I got around 250 images (I rather have more images then I need and plenty to choose from for best composition, light, mood and expression/moment), I felt the desire to try my luck on HHHR with wildlife (I had a surprising amount of luck and effectiveness with wildlife). Unfortunately, he did not want to sit in one of the light spots but there was enough light to get low ISO, good shutter speed and aperture, and plenty of color/depth separation.
I am noticing that the closer to minimum focus distance the better the Panasonic Leica 50-200mm f 2.8-4 looks, a lot better sharpness, the Leica warm colors, and 3D separation is more noticeable. I'm starting to think that the lens is amazing under 25 meters distance to the subject, great under 100 meters but mostly good towards infinity (sometimes even mediocre if the light is to flat. (I had suspected this when I used it with the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark I but I originally put it down to the 16 Megapickles sensor and probably the more "beta" feel of 1st gen. on-sensor PDAF nature).

The last image is available to download in JPEG edited form for those curious about HHHR and how it handles details and movement (it was quite breezy) in foliage:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AksBB2IBTehLhKAxs4bwyTPpWjPxYQ?e=8FIJb6

Last edited:
A few more shots from a hike in our local natural area. It's too bad the Heron is so high in the trees, I would really like to get closer... I need to find a jet pack
49888974862_30472fa318_k.jpg

49888667646_e24a630e89_k.jpg

49888668381_bd2a455659_k.jpg

49888148818_6e4bfcd57d_k.jpg

Jcarrith

Mu-43 Regular
Marmot Extravaganza

I think the marmot must be my totem animal I have a great love for these yellow-bellied beasts.

The full marmot

Marmot on a stick

Marmot sentries

The 3 above were taken last year, this last was taken this week. They must not just have been hibernating.

junior marmot

Mountain_Man_79

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
This elk must’ve been tired, as I walked right up to her while she slept -

This was her reaction as she woke to see me standing there taking photos -

This is her going back to bed, clearly not caring about my presence-

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom