Wildlife: show us your walk on the wild side and post your wild animal photos

Real Name
Ovidiu
It seems to have a hard time at the long end, although every once in a awhile it surprises me. The wide to mid ranges are much better. It's just such a handy focal range to have on the camera, and it's so light. The funny thing was, I had my 40-150 2.8 on the camera for the last couple of weeks. The day before I ran across the foxes I swapped it out for the 14-150 in case I spotted a wide shot I wanted. So much for that idea! Oh well, I'm ordering an em5iii this week so soon I'll have two camera bodies with me sporting proper lenses for the task at hand. hopefully. Thanks for the input.
Completely understandable sentiment, I don't feel comfortable having just one camera (at least owning, if the weather is ok I might keep only the Big Oly with me). I never owned the Panasonic 14-140mm but now that Mark III is weather sealed my interest in it grew and I am juggling the choice between Oly 12-100mm Pro or Panny 14-140mm on E-M5 Mark II (but that will have to wait until next year, my priority will be Oly 100-400mm Pro next).

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

What makes a muskrat guard his musk?

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark

poetsie

Mu-43 Regular
Hoge Veluwe, the Netherlands

JayZay87

Mu-43 Regular
Yesterday my wife and I got a report of killer whales heading up San Juan Channel, so we headed over to Ruben Tarte Park in hopes of getting a look; boy we sure got lucky! It ended up being the T123s ( a family of 4 transient mammal eating orcas), and they were on a sea lion hunt that ended up lasting an hour and a half! In the end, the sea lion managed to make it into the shallow waters of the bay and the whales gave up and moved along north. The sea lion happened to be branded for research purposes, we were able to look up his ID and connect with a pinniped researcher and he was able to tell us that this individual is a 17 year old male that consistently travels between Rogue Reef (Southern Oregon) to the haul outs at Green Point on Spieden Island (San Juan Islands). The whole time the hunt was going on I was secretively rooting for the sea lion, so I was glad to see that he escaped in the end. :yahoo:

(Photos taken with EM1 and 300mm Pro)

Attachments

Real Name
Ovidiu
An amazing sight and awesome images. When the bar is raised to killer whales then the only thing that can match that is cuteness overdose :p

On my way to work, at around 20:00 I found 4 fox pups playing around in tall grass (about half a meter tall) with no mommy in sight (probably out hunting). The pups are no more than 2 to 3 weeks old, even my shoes are bigger than them. I had 15 minutes at most to make pictures before I was getting too late to arrive at work so I made the most of it but it was a challenge to deal with the tall grass, the rapidly falling daylight, them pups going in and out of the grass and the tall hedge where they were hiding and getting as close as I could within the limited time I had.
What I learned from this experience is I should WAKE UP early and get to work sooner so I have a bit more time in the field with more time for making pictures, more light to work with and I can approach the animals slower (so I wouldn't be as intrusive and noticeable to the wildlife). A faster lens would have been nicer in the dimmer light condition (like f 2.8 or even the f 2 of the Olympus 150mm f 2 Four Thirds), ISO 3.200 and higher gets a bit more intrusive on the sharpness and noise levels. And the more luck you get the more often you are outside.
(And I wish autocorrect and Grammarly STOPS TRYING TO CORRECT ME ON MAKING PICTURES ... like Ansel Adam said: You make a picture not take a picture.)

Mountain_Man_79

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Chris
I followed this arctic fox around for a good 20-30 minutes...he mostly didn’t care that I was there -

These shots were the second time I noticed less than pleasing bokeh from the 300mm pro. Actually, some of the shots from this day were downright ugly and I found the bokeh distracting...like so bad it ruined the picture. These were the better pics. I love the 300mm, but against an incredibly busy background it shows some weakness.

Real Name
Ovidiu
I followed this arctic fox around for a good 20-30 minutes...he mostly didn’t care that I was there -

View attachment 820517View attachment 820518
View attachment 820519
View attachment 820520
View attachment 820521
View attachment 820522
View attachment 820523
These shots were the second time I noticed less than pleasing bokeh from the 300mm pro. Actually, some of the shots from this day were downright ugly and I found the bokeh distracting...like so bad it ruined the picture. These were the better pics. I love the 300mm, but against an incredibly busy background it shows some weakness.

I discovered that I can smooth out the background a bit by using either a brush or radial filter (and brush out the subject and sharp parts of the image) with -33 to -50 Clarity (I wouldn't go beyond that because it softens as well as decontrasts and 50 to 66 Noise Reduction in Lightroom (don't know of alternative methods in other image editions). This helps me deal with high ISO but also makes the subject pop (even without sharpening) while pushing the background a little. Give it a try and see what you like.

Mountain_Man_79

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Chris

I discovered that I can smooth out the background a bit by using either a brush or radial filter (and brush out the subject and sharp parts of the image) with -33 to -50 Clarity (I wouldn't go beyond that because it softens as well as decontrasts and 50 to 66 Noise Reduction in Lightroom (don't know of alternative methods in other image editions). This helps me deal with high ISO but also makes the subject pop (even without sharpening) while pushing the background a little. Give it a try and see what you like.
Thanks. Normally it‘s not an issue, but those pebbles on the beach just made for an awful bokeh. Like I said it’s only the second time I’ve ever noticed it, and this was really the first time it ever bothered me, so I hadn’t explored options to try and minimize it. Now I know what to try!

English is my 2nd of 3 languages I know and my spelling has always been disappointing, so as embarrassing as it is I do depend on autocorrect most of the time :)
Good for you :flowers_2:.

This was given to me by a friend. Almost every word is wrong, but it passes Microsoft's spell and grammar checkers ... :dance3: :laugh1: :crying:

MY KNEW SPELL CHEQUER

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
it plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye halve run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

(Sauce unknown)

Hanging in there...

A Green Heron way up in a tree

Bristolero

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@Phocal
Not a great pic--really just a quick snap.
But taken about 15 minutes ago off our porch. Would have walked right into me if I hadn't popped back inside.
No crop necessary on this one--I'm at paraPhocal distance!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom