Wildlife: show us your walk on the wild side and post your wild animal photos

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
I have had a really healthy life for most of my years. I had a foot injury that needed stitches (lots of them), had a broken wrist, had lL-4, L-5 herniated disk which has been controlled for the past 7 years with an epidural. I was hospitalized for 2 days for a diverticulae that broke and I bled internally but that was over quickly with blood transfusions. About a year and a half ago, I started coughing which seemed to resolve with prednisone but the Dr did not want me on that drug for the rest of my life so I went into the hospital for a lung biopsy after MRI and scans. That put me down for a while and I was placed on Oxygen afterward. No cancer but a slow development of fibrosis was diagnosed. I have now been able to take Oxygen only at night and never use the portable one. My O2 levels are back to where they should be and I take drugs to stop the fibrosis. I am very fortunate but the wrists necessitated changing from the big Nikons to Olympus which I do not regret. I too take lost of medication but I see my physician every 4 months and I am well controlled in all tests. I only hope for a few more years of good health since I have already outlived my wildest expectations.

I do not mess around with the COVID 19 which seems to be running wildly across our Country which seems to be filled with University of Facebook Constitutional lawyers who see no reason to protect those of us with compromised health.

@jhawk1000 All the best, Mel. Completely agree about steering well clear of COVID-19. My chances of surviving it would be about the same as yours ... :(.

We have a few of those nut cases here too. As at last night, fines of up to $100,000 apply here. Jail for some offences.

What really gets me is the 'sovereign citizen' idiots. We used to call them 'anarchists'!

I know a bit about law, and the framework of laws. These people know less than zero about the Doctrines of the Rule of Law, Natural Justice and Legitimate Expectation that underpin all human societies.

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
John, for many of my younger years I was a lawyer who was often involved as an ACLU attorney in true Constitutional Law cases. I did so many free speech 1st Amendment litigation cases. I did obscenity cases, I represented a 25-year-old graduate student who followed Reverend Moon in the Unification Church after she was kidnapped from her then lawyers office and taken for deprogramming and then placed in a mental hospital. We won against great public opinion in conservative Kansas. I got death threats from "concerned Christians" when we litigated the issue of state-mandated religion in public schools when the school allowed Christian Bibles to be distributed in public schools. It amuses me to see so many of our citizens who believe that wearing a mask violates their constitutional rights. Try as I have, I can find nothing that violates the constitution by requiring others to observe health mandates in an emergency. I can tell you that with our present Supreme Court, I would not be surprised at anything they decide now. I guess amuse is not the right term but I think you can get my sarcasm with that term.

Sorry for getting off the original post of wildlife. In some ways, this life now is wildlife. :)
Not a problem for me anyway...

Wildlife is all I shoot as I just don’t have many landscape opportunities. That’s because I simply don’t leave my homestead now.

I also had to get rid of all my Pentax APSC gear. All my lenses were pro-grade long lenses and heavy! I became afflicted with Rheumatoid Arthritis about 6 year ago which really put me down. I was down to using a walker. But thanks to very expensive modern medicine I am back to about 50% of my old self.

I missed shooting all the wildlife around here dearly for all those years without any gear. As a matter of fact it was only about 2 months ago that I bought the G85 and PL100-400. What an awesome combination! I can actually hold this combo now albeit a bit shaky. The duel IS is just out of this world!

I still use a tripod when I have a planned shoot - mostly just from my deck. But for those fleeting moments - like my bear images above - I can actually hand hold at 400mm (800mm equiv) and get some sort of a decent image.

To give an idea of the wildlife here where I live here are my flickr albums from when I was using the Pentax gear. 99.9% of those images were taken right here on my own property.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

poetsie

Mu-43 Regular
in the sandbag with the foxes, the Netherlands,
the location is known for its foxes and fallow deer: they are used to people so you can approach them up close. the distance I keep is between 15-40m so they stay relaxed.

as known Lumix G9 PL 200mm F2.8
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

in the sandbag with the foxes, the Netherlands,
the location is known for its foxes and fallow deer: they are used to people so you can approach them up close. the distance I keep is between 15-40m so they stay relaxed.

as known Lumix G9 PL 200mm F2.8
View attachment 840661View attachment 840662View attachment 840663View attachment 840664View attachment 840665
It must be amazing to see these creatures up close and relaxed. Where I live, the animals are truly wild and I haven't the skills to get near them often.

Recently I came across the work of Dutch wildlife photographer, Marleen Van Eijk, who shoots in these locations with a Sony RX10 mkIV, which has me thinking about ponying up for one myself. Her images are stunning, I recommend a look - she has photography accounts on Facebook and Instagram.
https://instagram.com/marleenvaneijk?igshid=1f2vhrp0kctgv

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
It must be amazing to see these creatures up close and relaxed. Where I live, the animals are truly wild and I haven't the skills to get near them often.

Recently I came across the work of Dutch wildlife photographer, Marleen Van Eijk, who shoots in these locations with a Sony RX10 mkIV, which has me thinking about ponying up for one myself. Her images are stunning, I recommend a look - she has photography accounts on Facebook and Instagram.
I am sure you can do it too Melanie. Given enough time and practice you can make amazing pictures, just go out as often as you can and give yourself at least a few hours, observe the animals behavior and patterns and you will soon start seeing compositions and opportunities. While for wildlife reach is, I believe, one of the better ways to get great images you can get that with compact bridge cameras and small formats like Micro Four Thirds easier (on the budget, on the back and on the learning side). That's because you get more Depth of Field so focus mistakes or mishaps are more forgiving (with a bit of post-processing sharpening) and it's easier to be spontaneous.

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
For many years, we did a lot of travel to wildlife areas. We traveled to Yellowstone to meet our friend who was a photographer for Geographic and he took us through the park for about a week. He taught us what to look for depending upon what we wanted to photograph. He showed us the places where the elk would go at different times of the day and at different times of the year. He taught us to be observant and not to talk, make noise, or be noticeable. We met him again in Colorado at Rocky Mountain National Park where we also met and photographed with one of the guides to RMNP and author of one of the wildlife of Colorado guidebooks. Once again, we watched and learned and found with some practice we could find the animals, could even predict some of their moves and learned how to slowly and quietly approach larger mammals while still being safe and protecting our ability to get out of a bad situation. When we go now, we find our success ratio of finding wildlife is much greater than before. It takes time but it works.

poetsie

Mu-43 Regular

I've seen her photos on facebook and photographed them in the same area, unfortunately she hasn't been posting lately and indeed she takes beautiful photos with always something extra that sets her apart from the rest that work with much more expensive cameras and lenses. so you see that it is not always necessary with large, heavy lenses. and anyone can learn if you just have patience and learn about the animals themselves, what their habits are and their living patterns

poetsie

Mu-43 Regular
............ can you share how was the hit rate in terms of in focus and on point with the action (last one is more on how well do you feel you reacted to capturing what you wanted and expected).
sorry for the late reply......
I mostly use a pinpoint that I keep as small as possible and always focused on the head, because of this I usually get the eyes nice and sharp, on the other hand sometimes the fox is not beautiful in the frame. if there is enough light then everything goes smoothly and always with F2.8 or 4.0 when I use the converter. the hit rate for stills is 90% when they are playing and running it quickly goes to 60%. I occasionally use tracking just like animal prediction because I don't like it very well with fast-moving animals, the eyes are not beautifully sharp.

Mountain_Man_79

Wu-Tang is Forever
Real Name
Chris
Encouraged by recent comments here, I set out with the Panasonic FZ300 this afternoon to see what I could see. This swamp wallaby (our most prolific local large wildlife species) wasn't too concerned about my presence, grazing dazedly while I propped against a tree. This is cropped from landscape orientation, and edited with Snapseed.

A 100-300mm mkII is on its way to me in the mail; after I sold my mkI earlier in the year, I missed the reach and - after much research - bought a TZ80 to try, but promptly passed it on to my man (who loves using it on his farm), then bought this FZ300 to see how I'd feel about a bridge zoom: I love how it handles, but the small sensor is too much of a downgrade.

So, while I was daydreaming about a Sony RX10 mkIV, a used mkII P100-300 came up for a good price, so I jumped that way, and then a used G85 for better handling than my GX9 can manage.

There will be a shootout, and I will no doubt report back!

4Paul

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Paul Keller
Encountering a prostrate human must have been the surprise of this slugs' life.

billca

Mu-43 Veteran
This young Pine Marten showed up this evening. Normally quite secretive and you rarely see them.
This one must have had a rough day, walked from behind the rock garden, looked at us, found a nice spot in the rocks and went to sleep as 3 of us watched 6 feet away.
3hrs later he's still fast asleep.

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
Because of many reasons, mainly business, we have not been able to get to one of our favorite places, Rocky Mountain National Park. We used to go several times a year but have not been there in over 5 years. We loved hunting down the areas of the park inhabited by elk and could always find an area with females but very seldom could we find an area with lots of bulls. On a very cold January morning, we drove from Estes Park pre-dawn into the park, and on the Eastside by the waterfall, we found a gathering of bull elk. There were over 10 of these magnificent creatures eating and existing together with no females or juveniles seen. It was a feast.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom