Wildlife: show us your walk on the wild side and post your wild animal photos

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
There were some tense moments this evening when I inadvertently crossed paths with this Drop Chipmunk. Called "Drop Chipmunks" because of their habit of dropping from branches to attack their prey with their razor sharp claws. Drop Chipmunks can be identified by a hooked tail from which they use to swing down from the branches, and their blood curdling low growl. This one was a little outside it's normal range. Many are reported during the day near Marijuana Dispensaries but most sightings and attacks occur late at night, just outside taverns and bars in tourist areas. I was startled to see this one on a local trail near the lake in broad daylight. They must be getting bolder.
View attachment 839300
That one looks like it means business :)

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
All images imported with Oi.Share and edited in Lightroom Mobile on the iPad (my laptop is arriving later today from service):
468EDB6D-95B5-471F-A538-2A2DCABC9053.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I’m noticing a pattern here. I didn’t start this morning great, low, dark and fast clouds distracted me for a few seconds and I did not notice the fox just around the corner but the fox noticed me so here’s a sexy run away picture ... I guess.

790AFEE2-989B-4F8C-8392-DBA6DFFFF3A8.jpeg
Then things got interesting and in a huge pile of weeds about 2 meters tall there was a Male Yellow Finch blazing in the glory of stormy winds.

97CB0293-E345-4339-9D36-D747EF4BB90A.jpeg

And someone caught my big glassy Panny Leica eyeball.

7B1C7101-7DF7-497E-B7C2-0F937EF01270.jpeg

And a Female Yellow Finch joined the party, blazing the strong morning Atlantic winds.

CF4E4402-BEA9-4268-B778-80C162620D9A.jpeg

She didn’t mind posing for me at all, keeping the 2 meters social distancing of course ... no literally 6 meters away from me ... take that Canon f 11 RF primes :p

AC28C55D-5721-400E-B706-4CD72C84C1DB.jpeg

Then things got more intimate and the temperature was going up ... might have been the early morning in shining.

0A3B5544-A7D0-4393-86CA-1F51354027C7.jpeg

I’m starting to love this ginormous weed bush because I can go around it and catch the birds from the corners ... if only there wa a damn silver giant fence keeping people out.

69BB4F63-875D-49CA-921A-FF7DA75C36B0.jpeg

And the morning adventure ended quickly but on a nice tone with a very close up uncropped picture that showsplenty of potential for the *cough* 560mm f 3 million ISO Crapton Noise Micro Fouls First *cough* ... sorry about that, I’m allergic to sarcasm :p

Last edited:

Breezy

Mu-43 Regular

I’m not proud of these images by any means but under the circumstances I was glad to get the captures.

Bear was about 150’ away. I was shooting from inside the house through double pane windows. Standing without anything to steady myself with shaky arthritic hands at 400mm (800mm equivalent) in low light. I must say the image stabilization of this combo is just fantastic.

G85 w/PL 100-400

08B8F796-47E3-4EB1-B9FF-4201802339DD.jpeg

B69525B7-BB88-456D-BEEB-8BEE0673FA02.jpeg

840AAB85-0185-45D9-9D23-D5A2B2AEB1DB.jpeg

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
I’m not proud of these images by any means but under the circumstances I was glad to get the captures.

Bear was about 150’ away. I was shooting from inside the house through double pane windows. Standing without anything to steady myself with shaky arthritic hands at 400mm (800mm equivalent) in low light. I must say the image stabilization of this combo is just fantastic.

G85 w/PL 100-400

View attachment 839893

View attachment 839894

View attachment 839895
Very nice images, you did your best with what you had and in the situation you were in.
One piece of advice I could give is do not be afraid to use ISO up to 6.400 if you use mechanical shutter (electronic first curtain of course). Electronic shutters degrade IQ after ISO 1.600.
In my opinion it’s better to have a noise sharp-ish image then a noiseless blurry image. Noise can be post processed, blurring cannot.
At ISO 800 and 1/40 sec. it’s quite blurry but if you do jump 2 ISO steps to 3.200 it would have given you 1/160 sec. which is good enough for large subjects like bear. And it outlines help with your arthritis too (less stress on the wrists and muscles).

Very nice images, you did your best with what you had and in the situation you were in.
One piece of advice I could give is do not be afraid to use ISO up to 6.400 if you use mechanical shutter (electronic first curtain of course). Electronic shutters degrade IQ after ISO 1.600.
In my opinion it’s better to have a noise sharp-ish image then a noiseless blurry image. Noise can be post processed, blurring cannot.
At ISO 800 and 1/40 sec. it’s quite blurry but if you do jump 2 ISO steps to 3.200 it would have given you 1/160 sec. which is good enough for large subjects like bear. And it outlines help with your arthritis too (less stress on the wrists and muscles).
Thanks for the advice!

I am coming from many year of Pentax APSC where I was never afraid to go high on the ISO. 6400 was common under the canopy of the woods here.

I’ve only been with my new Panasonic gear for a month or so and still trying to arrive at my default settings. I was afraid of noise so I set the ISO limit at 800 right away. I will take your advise and bump it up To 3200.

Thank you!

Thanks for the advice!

I am coming from many year of Pentax APSC where I was never afraid to go high on the ISO. 6400 was common under the canopy of the woods here.

I’ve only been with my new Panasonic gear for a month or so and still trying to arrive at my default settings. I was afraid of noise so I set the ISO limit at 800 right away. I will take your advise and bump it up To 3200.

Thank you!
If there is a fair bit of light (brighter than a fairly dimly lit house interior at night), you can easily get away with ISO 6,400. Even higher is pretty acceptable if the light is reasonable.

It is all dependent on how bright the scene/subject is.

Experiment! ;)

@coaltrain Just to add to that, here is a photo of Rosa taken at 6,400 in said dimly lit living room.

Hardly 'wildlife' but illustrates my point :).

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
So much drama (I really pushed the background into high contrast) until the deer went: Shhhhhhh ... I am woooking for wabbits :p
W0LF2515.jpg

G85 w/PL 100-400

View attachment 839893

View attachment 839894

View attachment 839895
Your photos are at least 1000 times better than the photos that I have taken of bears in my backyard.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Your photos are at least 1000 times better than the photos that I have taken of bears in my backyard.
But then there are people who don't have enough (in)sanity :p
1596942534366.png

And then there's THIS GUY:
1596942187016.png

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu

Here's a more serious image of that sequence/moment. I am still surprised after coming back to these image sets (it was a sequence of about 3 minutes where the deer ran across the field so I have plenty of options in terms of composition and look) of how good the DoF looks at 200mm f 4 and yet I can still get a beautiful background and foreground that is recognizable. Makes me very excited on the prospect of image look of the Oly 150-400mm f 4.5 as well as the potential of a Olympus fast telephoto prime (or at least one could still hope).

Thank you!

They are around just about every night it seems - always see fresh sign in the mornings. But actually only see them in daylight light this a couple times a year. That’s why it was a quick point and shoot deal to be sure I at least got a record of him. They are just beautiful this time of year with a healthy shiny coat.

If there is a fair bit of light (brighter than a fairly dimly lit house interior at night), you can easily get away with ISO 6,400. Even higher is pretty acceptable if the light is reasonable.

It is all dependent on how bright the scene/subject is.

Experiment! ;)
I actually did some experimenting yesterday shooting in the same general direction and similar (low) light. I used a tree trunk as my subject but zoomed out enough to have green leaves from underbrush in the background.

At ISO 3200 I found a little artifacts when zoomed in while viewing - some more at 6400. But even at 6400 it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

Even though I’ve been post processing ever since the change from film to digital I really don’t like doing it for some reason. Back in the film days, and always been a frugal type, I had always concentrated on getting it right in the camera first. I just seem to have carried that way of thinking to this day.

I’m still learning this camera’s settings and capabilities. But that’s one thing that I love about this hobby - experimenting and having it not cost me anything. I have all the time in the world now so that isn’t an issue.

I live in a very rural area in the middle of a 200,000 acre state forest. Wildlife abounds here. But that wildlife is truly wild so getting close is impossible. This PL 100-400 lens is just so awesome to me - those bear shots are a good example as far as being able to get a good image without having to zoom in with post processing.

Sorry for rambling - you all on this forum are a huge help to me and I really appreciate it. I am a bit mobility challenged now in my older years and my photography hobby is one of the few things I have left that I can enjoy without causing me any pain. I have never lost my want to learn something every single day and between my gear and this forum I accomplish that every single day. My thanks to you all!

@coaltrain I understand about the medical issues - boy, do I! Just for part of it, I take painkillers 5x a day. Can't take anti-inflammatories because of being on Warfarin for the rest of my life.

I'm 73 y.o., with enough issues to write a small medical textbook about, so truly empathise.

Getting old ain't for sissies! :( :shakehead:

Glad to hear that you are experimenting with these settings. Nothing like finding out for yourself, because there's so much BS spruiked on the Internet ...

Another thing that's worth bearing in mind - quite a lot of what looks like noise isn't. It is down to the low resolution of our displays! even a relatively small (25" or 22"x12.5") 2560x1440 display like mine is still only about 11.6M sub-pixels. My Epson R3880 printer is laying down some 2880x1440 dots per square inch (or is it 2880x2880 dpi? I can't recall at this time of night). Now DPI and PPI are different, but not all that different. So the printer is laying down about 4.1M dots per square inch (at the lesser figures), or about 1.1 Bn dots on a print the same size as my screen. Roughly 100 times the resolution in the print. The 'noise' disappears in the print ...

A friend who was unconvinced of this actually included some very noisy images in one of his photo books. He came back to me and said "You were right, the noise doesn't show in print."

macabee

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Barry King
There is an albino squirrel being watched by a grey cousin!

5x a day here also along with a myriad of others including 2 injectables.....
I understand. Thankfully, I don't have to inject myself, but take about 15 different medications daily, with some multiple times.

In earlier times, we would probably both be dead some time ago. In my own case, probably at 7 months old due to a severe egg allergy. Still have to be careful about general anaesthetics. They've nearly knocked me off a couple of times in the last 20 years.

All the best with your problems.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom