Wildlife on the PCH (Caution many pics and 4K video)

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
This past week, I took an 8 hour overnight drive to Morro Rock on the PCH for morning photography of the wildlife. Here are the pics.

1st pic, a panorama of Morro Rock before sunrise.
Morro Rock Morning.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2nd pic, a gull feasting on fish bones.
13 Aug PCH Trip (30).jpg

3rd pic: It was a misty morning with overcast. But the sun was able to break through with it's golden light. This heron was there last Nov at the same spot. It seems to be the Apex bird of Morro Bay.
13 Aug PCH Trip (4).jpg

4th Pic: Here it is again. Following it down the shore line I snuck up a little closer for this shot.
13 Aug PCH Trip (31).jpg

5th Pic: A BIF shot of the the great blue heron. It was my favorite subject all morning and I followed it for the 2 hours I spent there.
13 Aug PCH Trip (37).jpg

6th Pic: At the base of Moro Rock was this huge squirrel. I captured a video clip of it digging for food.
13 Aug PCH Trip (57).jpg

7th Pic: A Long-Billed Curlew, walking along the shore keeping it's distance from me.
13 Aug PCH Trip (59).jpg

8th Pic: This was the other Curlew at the base of Morro Rock. They must have had a great breakfast as they spent more time grooming vs hunting.
13 Aug PCH Trip (61).jpg

9th Pic: There were about 40 to 50 Zebras along the PCH near the Hurst Castle. I stopped for some 4K video of them and those greenish small birds that hang with the zebras.
13 Aug PCH Trip (91).jpg

10th Pic: What can be said that has not already been said about the Elephant Seals of San Simeon. They are huge, and there were many fighting in the water. Although I caped a lot of video, the violent fights happen in Dec.
13 Aug PCH Trip (284).jpg

Last Pic: At the Elephant Seal Vista Point, this little squirrel was sitting on a mound watching the hoards of visitors checking out the seals. I suspect this little one gets a lot of snacks from the visitors each day.
13 Aug PCH Trip (346).jpg

Finally, a video of the wildlife at Morro Rock. The visit there was about 2 hours. Once the light got flat due to the haze/mist along the PCH, I moved on to capture some creatures further up the coast. Most of the content was shot at Morro Rock. The other video clips will be used at the end of the year for a full video of my travels to the PCH for wildlife in 2019. 4 months to go.

Nevertheless, there are much more wildlife on the PCH from Cambria to Monterey. Sea Otters, Tule Elk, Deer, many more types of birds, and ocean creatures like wales and dolphins. I hope to capture them by the years end. Too bad the good light happens only a few hours a day when the weather permits. Anyway, thank you for checking out my pics and videos.

Any comments, tips, suggestions are welcome. Feel free to post your PCH pics and videos. Thanks.

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
It's listed under each photo. Panasonic G9 / 100-300 II
The pictures look awesome from what most people described the Panasonic 100-300mm as mediocre at best. I’m not a subscribed member so I can’t see the EXIF data.

The pictures are f*ing amazing to be honest and there’s little I see of the photographer’s presence felt in the mood of the animals (except maybe the Curlews) which is my favourite type of wildlife (where we gloves into the life of the subject and not the attention they give to us, because most animals gives you attention to either warn/defend/protect/run away which no photographer should consider themselves more important the subjects).

Great work and looking forward for more pictures in the future.

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
The pictures look awesome from what most people described the Panasonic 100-300mm as mediocre at best. I’m not a subscribed member so I can’t see the EXIF data.

The pictures are f*ing amazing to be honest and there’s little I see of the photographer’s presence felt in the mood of the animals (except maybe the Curlews) which is my favourite type of wildlife (where we gloves into the life of the subject and not the attention they give to us, because most animals gives you attention to either warn/defend/protect/run away which no photographer should consider themselves more important the subjects).

Great work and looking forward for more pictures in the future.
Thank you L0n3Gr3yW0lf, much appreciated, and very well said. I try my best not to spook or disturb the wildlife.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom