1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wildbasin

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by boulderjoe, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    Wildbasin in RMNP is a great place to hike and take some pics.
    P7190025.
    P7190064.
    P7190080.
    P7190099.
    P7190117.
    OMD-EM5 9-18mm and 60mm

-Joe

• Like Like x 5
  2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Any specific trails that you would suggest? I've been on just few so far and quite impressed by scenery around.

3. aks6674

aks6674 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2014
    I did the trail up to Copeland Lake a couple of times, and on up to the Hutchesins once. Good fishing up there, too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Indianpeaksjoe

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    Wildbasin is a great area, particularly in the winter. In the summer it can get crowded, so try to be at the trailhead before 7.

A great hike is Calypso Cascades to Thunder Lake. Unfortunately the bridge at Ouzel falls is out. So you have to take a detour for now and miss Ouzel and Calypso.

Finch lake is cool too, and the trail is open.

Another cool hike near there is Estes Cone, from the Longs Peak trailhead. Chasm lake And Mt Lady Washington are neat from that trailhead too.

From the park proper all the lakes are neat, Helene, Sprague, etc.

A great mtn to hike is Flattop and Hallett.

This book is great: http://www.amazon.com/Rocky-Mountain-National-Park-Complete/dp/0615526845

I live in the Indian Peaks and have dogs, so I don't go to the park as much as I should.

Cheers,
    -Joe

• Like Like x 1
  5. aks6674

aks6674 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2014
    Nothing to do with Wild Basin, but if you get the chance and like this sort of photography, you can get some great dark skies in RMNP proper. I took this on Trail Ridge Road earlier this summer.

vujeta9y.

6. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have National Parks and Monuments all around me and rarely visit for the same reason.

Nice photos, my parents go there regularly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Indianpeaksjoe

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    Hey Aks - When I try to take pics like yours they end up looking more like dusk(blueish tint to sky) than night time proper. Any tips for getting a look like in your great shot?

Cheers,
    -Joe

8. aks6674

aks6674 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2014
    Sure. You need a few things to be right with the scene for this shot; dark skies, no moon, and a south/southwest view with something interesting in it. The moon and the dark skies are important for exposure (14mm 2.8 iso3200 with Canon 6D and rokinon 14mm). Dark skies are just getting away from towns. If you can catch a new moon that will give you the most time to play with, but you can also do it before moonrise or after moonset. Remember also, the sky starts to 'blue' a good while before sunrise. For this shot, I was shooting at about 3AM. By 4:15, the sun was already washing out the sky - even though sunrise was an hour and a half away.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Awesome set, love the waterfall shots. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1