1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wifi & O.I.S.: A question maybe not specific for E-M1 and Android Phone users.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by G1Reflector_949, Jan 29, 2014.

1. G1Reflector_949

G1Reflector_949 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    As the title of this post suggests, I am curious about other users experiences with Wifi & O.I.S.: A question maybe not specific for E-M1 and Android Phone users.

So, I have an E-M1 and use a Samsung Galaxy S3 with latest Android 4.3 (Jellybean is it?).

When I want to connect my E-M1 using wifi through O.I.S. with my Galaxy S3, it can do it, but I find the connection always tells me the wifi is unstable and often disconnects and I need to wait a bit and have it automatically reconnect.. annoying, to say the least. This happens if I'm trying to access photos on the camera or just use the remote control function to take photos remotely with my phone. Like maybe no more than about 2-4 minutes max, and the connection will go out.. have to wait to reconnect again.. etc..

I'd like to add a note that prior to the Android 4.3 update, using 4.2, I believe, my wifi connection seemed much more stable and didn't have stability issues like it does not with 4.3.. could be coincidence, but it seems perhaps a likely compatibility issue somehow.

Do other people have the same experience like I do?

I would guess maybe there's a problem with my phone and/or camera (e-m1), but, I have also connected wifi using my iPad 2 and O.I.S. and the connect seems a lot more stable. I don't think I've ever had any unexpected wifi disconnect using my iPad 2 with the E-M1.

Anybody else have similar experience? I just want to see if there's something wrong I'm doing or it's just crappy interface with current Android OS and/or Galaxy S3 phones.

Thanks for any feedback or insights.

2. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    What's OIS?

3. G1Reflector_949

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    O.I.S. = Olympus Image Share

4. Bluecoupe

Bluecoupe Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2010
    I'm on android using a nexus 5 on KitKat. no problems with Wi-Fi connection could be the phone?

5. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I think it is a general problem with the app myself. If I stick either my android phone or ipad right next to the E-M1 and then connect I dont really have a problem with the connection. Take it out into the field and use the remote function while the E-M1 and say ipad are apart (but by no more than 5 metres) and the distance is varying and disconnects are inevitable to the extent it makes it unusable. I have tried using this remote app on both my android and ipad to take remote shots of protesters in the recent unrest here in Bangkok but essentially it is unusable. I have in fact given up and resorted to using the intervalumeter on the camera which of course works fine.

6. G1Reflector_949

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Hmm.. not sure what to think... I'd hate to think either my phone or camera or both are somehow malfunctioning with OIS. I'm not sure if this is any better or wishful thinking, but maybe it really is an app issue.. maybe get an update or something to fix this soon.

Disappointing to say the least.. no reliable remote functions OR viewable & sharable images.. i mean the connection is THAT unstable with wifi.. at least with my Samsung Galaxy S3.