1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Wifi head phones

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by huepic, Mar 12, 2016.

1. huepic

huepic Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2015
    Hi,
    I'm maxing myself out in Google to no avail so I'll ask here. As the GX8 has no head phone jack I was wondering if the Wifi mode would work with head phones to monitor Audio ?
    I don't have Wifi head phones at this stage so I can't experiment.
    Has anyone experimented with this ?

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    As fas as I know all wireless headphones use bluetooth or a proprietary wireless protocol. I think no camera uses any of these.

Yes, you can use proper wifi to transmit sound (over TCP for example) but is not common and I'm sure no camera does this and neither any headphones.

So your best bet is probably something like this with a common pair of bluetooth headphones:

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Headphones/dp/B00E174RTS/
    http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-transmitter-Transmitter-Headphones-Simultaneously/dp/B0192KG55W/
    Logitech FreePulse Wireless Headphones Review

If you find a way to fix the trasmitterit it could work (with an hotshoe adapter and some velcro maybe?).

I think that wireless (non bluetooth) transmitters and receivers are usually much bigger then these.

3. huepic

huepic Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2015
    Hi Klorenzo,
    You are of course right about Bluetooth & it was what I actually meant but for some silly reason I wrote Wifi. My excuse is that I have been dealing with a Wifi modem for days.
    Thank you for your input

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Bluetooth & most WiFi (B,G) both use 2.4GHz, but interference is usually minimal. Max range may be reduced, possibly.

Barry

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Short answer - No chance of this working for headphones.