1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

WiFi card opinions

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by battleaxe, Nov 12, 2013.

1. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I am ready to purchase a wifi card and kind of have it narrowed it down. The Toshiba FlashAir looks near perfect, but they are all class 6 cards and the class 10 16gb card cost nearly $100(after tax and shipping). So, I am narrowed it down to EZ Share card and the Transcend WiFi card, which both can be had in a class 10 for about $50 now. I want opinions on which is the better and easier card to use, and which will allow me to pair to my phone and Windows RT device. I take these shouldn't be too much of an issue and work with a GF3 right? Thanks .

2. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    I managed to get an 8gb class 10 flash air card for £25 in the uk. Works perfectly using the iPhone olympus app.
    It does occasionally hang - I think it's when I turn the camera on and take a picture immediately without waiting for the card to initialise. This doesn't wreck the pictures already in there though.

For what I want to do, it's ideal - I don't want all the photos I take pushed to the phone, just the selected ones when I want them. I haven't noticed a significant battery drain so far either.
    I haven't used the eye if nor the transcend so can't comment, but I can say I'm happy with the flash air, and the minor hang issue doesn't bother me too much.

Sorry, doesn't really help you much I guess!

N

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

3. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I have an Eye-Fi that I use for another application, but I don't like using it with my EM5 since it is fairly slow, draws too much battery, and for this use I prefer a "pull" card rather than a "push" card. For all those reasons, I really wanted to use the EZ Share, especially since it has a convenient switch on the back to turn off wifi and save power. Unfortunately, it doesn't work properly with the EM5.

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I have an eye-fi and ez share card, and have to say I like the simplicity of the ez share card. The switch is nice, and you can to a batch upload after shooting, as well as be selective about which files you'd like to transfer. It can also work in-browser and has apps as well. eye-fi is more of an eco-system though, and once you have it setup to your liking it can be quite seamless and behind the scenes.

Curious what didn't work with the ez share in the em5? just plain didn't work?

5. battleaxe

Between the EZ Share, Flashair, and Transcend cards which works better with the GF3, seeing as some are saying that they are having issues with the card on the newer OMD? Thanks.

6. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    It would give a card error and not work when you power up. If you turn the camera on without a card and then insert it everything was fine, but that's not practical at all. It seems to be a near universal problem with that camera/card combo.

7. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    This is a great topic that I am exploring as well for my em5. Has anyone any experience with the transcend or toshiba?

Thank you for sharing about the issues win EZshare and EYE-FI.

8. Mstoeckle

Mstoeckle Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2013
    I use the Eye-Fi Mobi, it works OK, but does use quite a bit of power. It transfers normal JPEGs fairly quickly, and I find myself batch transferring to my phone. By this I mean turning off the Eye-Fi setting on the camera until I'm ready to transfer. This way I use my battery to take photo's before I exhaust it on transfer.

I tried the Transcend and found it not reliable and confusing to configure, and when I went to format it, the card had all kinds of problems.

9. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    In that event, are there any other options at all?

10. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Any new news on the wifi card front?

I'm interested in using one with an E-M5 and Olympus Image Share iOS app for photo transfer, display, and remote control of the E-M5. The Toshiba FlashAir is the only one mentioned in conjunction with the OIS app, and the E-M5 is not specifically mentioned as being compatible. I have an inquiry with Olympus support. Will see what they have to say.

EyeFi says all their cards are compatible with the E-M5, but only with their software, I think.

I have not researched the others.

11. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I don't think the EM5 is wifi card compatible...I wish it was....but as someone mentioned it's not listed as compatible. :-(

12. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Any camera should work with an eye-fi card...
    GX1•EP1•GF3•17/2.8•30/2.8

13. battleaxe

I have the Toshiba FlashAir card that I am using between my GF3 and X-E1 with good success.

14. darrenleow

darrenleow Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Singapore
    I have a toshiba flashair class 10 32gb, which i mainly use on my ricoh GR everyday camera.

Tried it with the omd em5 and it worked fine.

15. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Great...good to know!. Glad I was wrong. So can you wifi them to your phone with the Olympus software? or other?

16. darrenleow

darrenleow Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Singapore
    I used the toshiba flashair app to select photos and pull them to my iphone or ipad

17. battleaxe

You can also with the Toshiba browse and download files via a browser. I find it useful as their app(at least the Android app) doesn't let you download RAW files, but you can via the browser.

18. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I just got word from Olympus tech support. This is what they said:
    ---
    Thank you for contacting Olympus Technical Support.

The use of the flashair card is not supported with the E-M5 camera, as there is no menu function available in the camera to control the card. However, the eye-fi card is tested compatible with this camera, and can be used without any problems in the EM-5 camera. However, the eye-fi is not compatible with the IO share app from Olympus, you must use the eye-fi app for image transfer control:
    ---
    So, one can use a EyeFi card to transfer files from the E-M5, but you use EyeFi software. The FlashAir is not compatible, and the Olympus Image Share app won't work with the EyeFi card. Too bad.

I asked if they have any plans to add FlashAir compatibility with a future firmware update, but they couldn't say. The rep said they would forward my request to the proper department. Don't hold your breath. :)

19. darrenleow

darrenleow Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Singapore
    I'm not sure if any cameras have integrated flashair support in the firmware like the eye fi, which has a Menu function in the camera. To turn on/off the WLAN functionality in the flashair, you can choose to either do it by locking/unlocking a particular photo (just dont delete it!) or as i've done, set a 1-minute timer upon power up.

Flashair doesnt have eye fi's full functionality as its strictly pull only, but for my needs (pulling a couple photos for quick sharing or posting from my phone) it works great