Wife is upset I want to get rid of the DSLR!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by tkbslc, Feb 10, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I ordered a GX7 with plans to have it replace my DSLR and the Mrs. seems a bit annoyed. It's not like I'm in the dog house or anything, but she's not fully on board. She never uses the camera, I think she just feels I'm taking a big step down and we do get nice family photos with the Canon. I guess I'll have to work hard to get lots of good kid pics with the new setup!

But on the other side, she knows I've been bring the SLR along less and less. I only have 933 images from my 60D in the 2014 subfolders. We had 1900+ from our iphones! I think she will get it eventually. And hey, if not, I'll buy back into Canon and next time go FF! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Why don't you show your wife what people are getting with their m4/3 cameras and maybe she might be more supportive.

• Like Like x 1
  3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    #whatozraysaid ;)

EM10•GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

4. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Simple solution. Give her the 60D for a day, and have her lug it around and take pictures while you use the GX7. Compare photos at end of day and see if she remains enamored with the Canon (but hopefully with you). :wink:

• Like Like x 5
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Keep your Canon around long enough to make sure you're getting as nice colours of kids and people with your new setup...

• Like Like x 1
  6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I came to m43 because my older son competed in the 2012 Olympics and the venue rules were pretty harsh and it was pretty clear that my usual kit with two Nikon DSLRs and 4+ lenses wasn't likely to get in. I thought hard about the alternatives and took what I thought was a giant leap of faith by buying two m43 bodies and a set of lenses. To make a long story short, after we got back I almost never picked up the Nikons again. M43 isn't a complete replacement, but in so many cases it is so close, and the equipment is so much easier to carry that I finally sold the Nikon DSLR gear, and in spite of misgivings I haven't missed it yet. You (and your wife!) may find the same...it is unlikely to make any difference in your photographs...other than the fact that you may find that you have the camera with you a little more often, since it isn't the size and weight of a boat anchor.

7. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Go to the "Gallery" threads and show her how good these cameras are!

8. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
  9. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Well, actually now that I'm thinking about it more...maxim's photos might get her even more upset! :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  10. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Ahhh....I knew I recognized your username...a fellow POTN'er! Welcome to the light side. ;) I ditched my 5D Mark II + L lenses in favour of the OM-D and haven't regretted it for one second!

• Like Like x 1
  11. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Apple iPhones is a status symbol. Carrying a DSLR for most people is owning a status symbol; meaning my pictures while not very artistic still look good because it was taken with a Canon or a Nikon. I suspect that deep in her mind, materialism is very much a certain piece in her belief that how good the photos look and not actually how artistically and technically you took them. This, my friend, is up to you to convince her. Just don't give up on the Canon just yet. Just store it in the closet and when the time comes on her full acceptance of m43, then you can convince her that you need a 40-150 f/2.8 by trading in your full Canon gear!! Who said women are rational beings. Oppps; I might get in trouble saying this honey.. :biggrin:

12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I guess maybe this came off like my wife is high maintenance. I think she is just looking out for me and worried I'll regret it since I did really love the SLR at one point and she knows that's a good setup. I'm not that worried since I know what I'm getting into and why I want to switch.

And I'll be honest, she has some weird hatred for the brand Panasonic based on one of their products she owned like 10 years ago! :rolleyes:

Yeah, recognized your name, too. Glad to see some familiar people.

• Like Like x 1
  13. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Lots of former DSLR owners here!

And I hear ya...I used to loooooove my Canon DSLRs...owned about a dozen of them from the Rebel to the 1D. It was a tough decision I was trying to make for about 2 years. But then the OM-D came out and that was all the convincing I needed. I'm sure if the GX7 came out first, I'd own that, though...that's another excellent camera! It's nice not to be weighed down by all the bulk and still get the image quality. I really can't see any reason why you'd regret switching from a 60D to a GX7!

14. If you're prepared to play the long game, here's a great opportunity for you to be able to go to your wife in a few months time and say; "Honey, you were wrong."

15. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Awwww; that is so sweet of her. Nothing better than having the best friend in your life looking out for you! Dislike of Panasonic?!? In the east, it's called Matshu****a and it's quite a good brand among housewives, cause they make one of the best rice cookers. :biggrin:

16. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Haha! Please do, then come back and tell us all how that went over...!