Wife asking to use camera more and more

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by darcius1, May 25, 2013.

1. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    She used to be happy with the iPhone or point and shoot but then saw some of the pictures I was bringing home.

Had been keeping the camera with me through the day even at work.

She started using the camera for a few of the kids school year end events and concerts, piano recital.

I'm going to have to get one for her soon, too.

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Sounds like a perfect excuse to buy YOURSELF a new camera and pass her yours. :evilsmile:

3. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    Or at least buy her a camera that you want and just take it out for a "test drive" whenever you want.

4. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Nothing makes a wife appreciate your photography more than seeing wonderful photos of the kids.

5. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Yup. Time for a 2 camera family. Sharing your photography is a bonding thing. Shared mutual appreciation and encouragement, etc.

Just bought my wife a camera that she loves, above all others before it. Side benefit of such things. She is more understanding of my own desire for better equipment, within reasonable limits, of course. :2thumbs:

6. YouDidntDidYou

YouDidntDidYou Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Teesside
    Funny I said that Micro Four Thirds lends itself to this type of sharing over on 43rumors about 2 years go, it's just one more reason why mft is winning out over EOS M, Nikon1 and Sony NEX

7. auryn

auryn Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2013
    Sydney
    Hard to go back to a phone camera when you see what a small mft camera can do. It was my gf's purple e-pl3 that got me interested in buying a decent camera. Of course I went for a black e-pl5 as it didn't come in purple.

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Darcius: What camera do you have?

9. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    I wish my wife would do the same. I have a GH3 and GH2 but she still just uses her iPhone.

10. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    ask her to be a member here. maybe she will discuss gear more than she takes pictures.

11. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    Been getting in on some deals that have made this very palatable. DSLR was bulky and steep for entry and was getting tired of throwing away point and shoots.

Started with epll1 just to get in. Got a deal for 130 new, plus I've been able to use all my Minolta MD glass. Been very happy with P20 and especially O45. The VF2 I got at the recent price drop has given a lot of enjoyment too.

My 13 YO and wife are actually both getting into this. It's been fun seeing this. I remember my mom actually resentful of my dad's passion for photography as a contrast.

I've learned a lot and love to see everyone's enthusiasm and constructive contributions. One of the best forums I've been around.

12. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    You should selflessly give her your camera and order yourself a black E-P5 kit with 17mm/1.8 and VF-4.

Double Points!!

P.

13. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    My wife was never quite satisfied with any camera that I got for her, until the GF5. It was instant love. Small, pretty (brown), and powerful point and shoot. She's happy, I'm happy.

14. Optical1

Optical1 Mu-43 Rookie

May 17, 2013
    That's always my angle!!!

The best upgrade path IMHO...

15. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    Well, my wife isn't interested at all, but both of my daughters love my m4/3 cameras. The older has my EP1 and my younger has a GF2, older has a 17 f2.8 which she loves, as we'll as a third-party adapter for 4/3 for her 14-45 from her E410. My younger has the kit lens from Olympus and I got back from her my E510 to use as a reserve body for my E30.

On the other hand, about 98% of the photos they take are with their iPhones.

16. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    Haha that's how I was able to upgrade.

Sent from my Acclaim using Tapatalk 2

17. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    She didn't even use the GF1 when I had it either. I'm tempted to sell / trade the GH2 for an E-PM2 or EPL5 but might just hang onto it and give it to my daughter when shes old enough to learn since it saw duty taking pics of her 95% of the time anyways.

18. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Seriously? Do you actually earn any points with your wife/GF handing over your used camera and buying yourself a new one.

If so, I am definitely stepping out with the wrong girl.

19. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    uh oh. You better pull the eject lever quick!

20. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    "Honey, I know how much you like my camera. I think we can get one just like it, or pretty close, but if you really like this one why don't I just give it to you. Don't worry, I'll find something close enough for me."

Probably won't work, but always worth a shot!! :biggrin:

P.