1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wider than 15mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tkbslc, Apr 21, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I absolutely love the 15mm f1.7 for everyday photos. It also did an admirable job for landscapes on my recent day in Zion NP. It's honestly my favorite lens out of my kit right now. However, I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish for a wider lens at times when using it. I Have the 9mm BCL, which I actually used quite successfully for several shots, but it's a bit dim and the corners are very poor quality when stretched for defishing. I honestly loved the results where it worked, though. It's WIDE! My 14-42 II kit zoom is good, but 14mm isn't really any wider than 15mm.

So I guess I am realizing that I need a decent quality wider angle option. Keeping in mind that the 15mm is permanently cemented into my gear kit, what wide angle complement would you recommend?

Just as some initial thoughts, I was hoping maybe swapping my p14-42 II for a 12-32 might work. Is that one solid at 12mm? Test sites are a little mixed on that one. I don't know if I can justify the $500-ish for a used 9-18 or 12mm f2 right now. Is 12mm even going to be wide enough to be worth it? Perhaps I should upgrade my 9mm to a 7.5mm samyang which should give me better defish results and 2.5 stops more light vs the BCL?

Sorry for rambling, sometimes I use these to think aloud. Any feedback would be cool. Thanks.

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Get a used 12-50mm and ditch the 14-42. It's slightly better IQ and weatherproof and macro. Wide end IQ is pretty good IMO. You should be able to net one for $100-125 more after selling the other. It's also light weight for hiking/climbing

3. inthecage

inthecage Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    North Ohio
    M Ferencz
    The Samyang 7.5 is worth it and a must if your into wide. The difference between 15 and 12 would be pretty noticeable, then again maybe not for me, I like to use my feet and step back when at all possible. I would try to pick up a 12mm zoom because I think the other options would really be very costly and not offer much better quality. Pretty much just repeated what the previous guy said.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sfmurph

sfmurph Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    San Francisco
    I really like the 12-32 pancake. I can keep it in my coat pocket and sometimes, 12mm is too wide, so being able to zoom in a little is great.

5. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    Would the GWC1 or GFC1 work on your 14-42?

6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    A 12 is noticeably wider than the 15, and there are multiple options there in primes (Olympus and Samyang) or zooms (Oly/Pany). The 7-14 or 9-18 are also good options. If you are OK with a fisheye, the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 7.5 is an optically fantastic lens. If it got a lot of use, I would look at the Oly 12 or P7-14. If you just occasionally go wide, I would look at the 7.5, or wait for the regular 9-18 discounts that come along.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. tkbslc

I actually thought about that one, but by all reviews it appears weakest at 12mm and that's where I'd want to use it most! It also might replace my 60mm macro, since I am only a casual macro shooter.

Also, since I'm on Panasonic, I wonder if I'd miss the stabilization for video.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  8. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    I recently got the 9-18, as I also needed something wide, and like it a lot. I often turns up as a reconditioned item on the Olympus site, or used on Ebay.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    In your shoes, I'd keep an eye on the Buy/Sell forum for a used copy of the Oly 9-18. It's a nice lens, very small and light, and I picked up a used (like new) copy from a fellow mu-43 member for $348. I don't shoot really wide all that much, but when I do, I love that I have this lens available.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tkbslc

I know 12 is noticeably wider than 15, but I'm thinking it is kind of like how 20 is wider than 25. Yes it is noticeable, but it would seem fairly redundant to take both out for the day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tkbslc

I don't think it does. They were designed for the 14-42 PZ and 14mm f2.5. If I hadn't fallen in love with the 15mm f1.7 so much, I'd probably trade it for a 14mm f2.5 and GWC1 for 14 and 11mm options.

12. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    The Samy 7.5 is a nobrainer in my opinion - Fantastic lens and a lot of fun. Plus cheap. If you like the BCL I think you'll love the Samy. The 9-18 is also a great choice but a lot pricier than the Samy. FOr me the difference between 15mm and 12mm would not justify another lens.

• Like Like x 1
  13. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    The GWC1 definately doesn't work on the p14-42 II - I have both and have tried it. A 14mm + the GWC1 is a good option though.

14. tkbslc

I'm kind of leaning this way. Although I just barely bought the 9mm like a month ago! :)

15. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I disagree. Softest at 50mm is true, but solid at 12mm in my experience. Missing stabilization is a whole other issue though, since it's not the fastest lens. In my experience it does very good at night on tripod and good enough for holiday photos. I still grab it over the 12-40 sometimes, because of the size/weight difference. If you aren't shooting low light, it's a perfectly capable lens. YMMV. I sold my 14-42ii after getting one. Not that is was really bad, but I felt the 12-50 was better overall.

16. tkbslc

Okay, thank you for all the feedback.

A little more thinking and I think keeping my 9mm BCL makes more sense than the 7.5mm given my usage profile. If I had a larger lens (relatively) like the 7.5mm, then I'd only bring it along if I intended to use it. With the 9mm, I bring it along in my outer filter pocket and it's just there if I happen to stumble on a fisheye or superwide shooting scenario. Since I don't envision using the fisheye as a primary lens, I think this makes more sense. For example, the only reason I brought it hiking with me was because it fit in the outer pocket. I wouldn't have left another lens home to bring the samyang. And then I found some really cool places to use it just because I had it.

My 14-42 is totally redundant given that I have 15/25/45mm primes. I can't really see much reason to bring it along most of the time. So it would follow that trading that for something that offers me additional capability would be smart. So I think I should probably go with a 12-32mm or 12-50 as a replacement for the 14-42.

17. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Not necessarily, for me the focal length between my Lumix 14 and Olympus 12 is very noticeable.

18. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    If size is a concern to you then the 12-50 seems an unlikely candidate I would think - I guess the 9-18 plus samyang would only take up marginally more space than the 12-50 and BCL (if anything). I would say nothing gained in terms of space put a lot lost in terms of focal length and IQ. Wallet may be better off though :)

19. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. tkbslc

I can see your point, however the 12-50 could be used as an only lens or as a 2-lens combo with a 25mm for a day out. And the 9mm BCL could still fit in my pocket. The Samyang would be unlikely to come along as even a third lens for typical day-to-day photography.

I'm still probably leaning more toward the 12-32mm, though, as it has OIS that I could use for video.