1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

wide zooms

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by chrith, Aug 25, 2011.

1. chrith

chrith Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2010
    Interested in wide zooms and there seems to be alot of 3rd party options. tokina, vivitar etc. I've found this one
    [​IMG]

a nikon mount 19-35 F3.5-4.5 KENKO AIS for pretty cheap. anyone have experience with wide zooms?

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    you're going to get better results from the kit lens to be honest - this lens is marginally faster, not as wide and doesn't have as much telephoto reach. It would be great on a film camera, as it would approximate the same range as the olympus 9-18mm lens, but with a 2x crop, why bother?

This kind of lens sort of misses the point of adapting a lens - it gives you less than you get with the kit lens. Adapting fast primes, macros, telephotos, in other words, lenses that serve a purpose, are the reasons people use adapted lenses. Don't mean to sound too harsh! But the truth is a lens like this is best left to film.

3. chrith

chrith Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2010
    im also not going to be getting a kit lens for 50 bucks am I

4. I tried an EF mount Cosina 19-35 f3.5-4.5 (on a Canon, not m4/3) once that was a bit crap.

5. ulugeyik

ulugeyik New to Mu-43

Feb 11, 2010
    I agree that for $50 you won't get the kit lens hence it is worth looking for a legacy lens update and I am interested in the same too. I would like to find a compact and cheap one that is reasonable in quality.

I normally carry around ~4 prime lenses (3 C-mount, 1 the prime kit lens) but it is a pain to keep changing them in some situations.

6. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    No, but you might get a used kit lens for $100 or so and you'll have $50 saved towards that.

19-35mm = 38-70mm equivalent on 4/3. Not wide at all any more, more like a standard zoom from the 80s. Those Kenko/Cosina/Vivitar 19-35s were all pretty mediocre in their day but, on the bright side you'd only be using the centre of the lens. A modern kit lens will run rings around one of these.

One of my favourite lenses for 35mm was the Pentax SMC-M 24-35mm f3.5 zoom. It was like having a bag full of wide primes in one handy package. This lens would make no sense on anything other than a FF digital camera because the range just doesn't work for 1.5x or 2x crop. If I still had a K mount film body I'd buy another copy tomorrow

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.