1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

wide zooms

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by chrith, Aug 25, 2011.

1. chrith

chrith Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2010
    Interested in wide zooms and there seems to be alot of 3rd party options. tokina, vivitar etc. I've found this one
    [​IMG]

a nikon mount 19-35 F3.5-4.5 KENKO AIS for pretty cheap. anyone have experience with wide zooms?

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    you're going to get better results from the kit lens to be honest - this lens is marginally faster, not as wide and doesn't have as much telephoto reach. It would be great on a film camera, as it would approximate the same range as the olympus 9-18mm lens, but with a 2x crop, why bother?

This kind of lens sort of misses the point of adapting a lens - it gives you less than you get with the kit lens. Adapting fast primes, macros, telephotos, in other words, lenses that serve a purpose, are the reasons people use adapted lenses. Don't mean to sound too harsh! But the truth is a lens like this is best left to film.

3. chrith

chrith Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2010
    im also not going to be getting a kit lens for 50 bucks am I

4. I tried an EF mount Cosina 19-35 f3.5-4.5 (on a Canon, not m4/3) once that was a bit crap.

5. ulugeyik

ulugeyik New to Mu-43

Feb 11, 2010
    I agree that for $50 you won't get the kit lens hence it is worth looking for a legacy lens update and I am interested in the same too. I would like to find a compact and cheap one that is reasonable in quality.

I normally carry around ~4 prime lenses (3 C-mount, 1 the prime kit lens) but it is a pain to keep changing them in some situations.

6. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    No, but you might get a used kit lens for $100 or so and you'll have $50 saved towards that.

19-35mm = 38-70mm equivalent on 4/3. Not wide at all any more, more like a standard zoom from the 80s. Those Kenko/Cosina/Vivitar 19-35s were all pretty mediocre in their day but, on the bright side you'd only be using the centre of the lens. A modern kit lens will run rings around one of these.

One of my favourite lenses for 35mm was the Pentax SMC-M 24-35mm f3.5 zoom. It was like having a bag full of wide primes in one handy package. This lens would make no sense on anything other than a FF digital camera because the range just doesn't work for 1.5x or 2x crop. If I still had a K mount film body I'd buy another copy tomorrow