Wide Zoom - Your Take? Your Kit.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Hayden, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Hayden

Hayden New to Mu-43

Nov 15, 2012
    EDIT: By wide zoom I meant something in starting in the 12-14 range (Standard), sorry for the confusion. I should work on my terminology! However the Wides are also an interesting option :)

I'm new to the world of m4/3 and I am curious how others have assembled their kits. I recently purchased an OM-D and a panny 20mm 1.7, coming from a Canon 7D and I'm loving every minute of it. But now I have come to the standard m4/3 dilemma of the fast zoom. The way i see it I have 3 options;

1- Use an adapter to 4/3 with lens such as the Oly 14-54. Only downside is the large size negates some of the benefits of m4/3

2- Pick a Native, slow zoom. Whats your favorite? Why? (the Panasonic 12-35 is simply out of my budget)

3- Ditch a zoom and go all primes for the time being.

How have you solved this issue? What is does your kit look like? I would love to know what you have found is the best way to work around this issue in the system.

Thanks for your time! This is a great Community,
  2. ggibson

ggibson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    I picked up the 9-18mm to compliment my 20mm and 45-200mm kit. The 20mm is sharp enough to crop if necessary, and the other two zooms are great values. Covers a huge range, and is very compact!
  3. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Sounds like you want a normal zoom, not a wide zoom.

Personally I would suggest option 3, all primes. Just get the 14 f/2.5 (tons of used ones available cheap) and 45 f/1.8 and along with the 20 you already have you are set with 3 great lenses that are all small and very good IQ.

The only Zoom that is comparable is the 12-35, but that is a lot more money.
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Buy a 14mm 2.5 from Ebay ($160-185) to get a cheap 28mm equivalent prime. Though I'm partial to the 17mm 2.8 which can be had for about $150 used.
  5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    What kind of pictures do you like to take?
  6. Hayden

Hayden New to Mu-43

Nov 15, 2012
    I bought the system to bring on a religious mission I will be leaving for in the near future, where a full sized DSLR would just not be appropriate. So i would like to document my journey, mostly people and a few landscapes would be my main focus.

Thanks for the quick responses!
  7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    The kit 12-50 not wide enough for you?

I use a 9-18, but it's more of an ultra-wide.
  8. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    although kind of pricey, the Panasonic Lumix 7-14 is a fantastic wide zoom...
  9. dbellva

dbellva New to Mu-43

Apr 20, 2012
    Midlothian, VA
    I know I may elicit many objections, but I would consider the Oly 12-50 kit lens to complement your 20mm. The main benefit is that it gets you down to 12mm (24mm equiv.) for a true ultra-wide, rather than just a moderate wide like the Pan 14 lens. Only $500 new and I'm sure many are available on Ebay

Personally, the first lens I picked up after the initial kit lens (14-42) was the Oly 12/2.0, since a fast wide prime was what I had been missing before I switched from a Nikon DX camera. Of course being a wide-angle junky (mostly landscape), I then proceeded to add the Pan 7-14 to my gear.

10. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    I forgot about the kit 12-50. That would be a good choice too, great in good lighting, and has decent macro capabilities too.

I wouldn't pay $500 for it though, and I wouldn't go through ebay. Amazon.com is a more reliable and consistent buying experience, and great prices too. Used-Like New for $300 or less on this lens.
  11. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I have both the 14-54 II and the 14/2.5 which I think are the two best values in the autofocus world. If you think a DSLR is too big, the 14-54 + adapter will also be.

You might consider the cheap kit lens then? Or a 14-42 X and turn off the OIS since you have an OM-D.
  12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    OK, for travel. I'll answer a little out of order.

1- You've pointed out the downside yourself. We have lots of nice, small, M43 lenses. Why compromise your shooting with anything else?

3- No. IMHO for travel a zoom is the only answer. You rarely control your subject or your shooting location and sometimes you do not control your time at a location. Hence you need the flexibility that a zoom provides and you need a zoom range that minimizes the need for lens changing.

2- If I could travel with only one lens it would be the 14-140 or the similar Oly zoom. For your type of trip my second lens would be the 9-18mm. For a wildlife or birding trip my second lens would be the 100-300mm. For a trip to the Middle East at the end of this month I will have the 9-18mm and the 14-140mm plus I have just bought a 12/f2 to use for building interiors and other low-light situations. I also carry a monopod for low light shooting -- much cheaper than the 12/f2! If I find I really don't use the 12/f2 I will sell it when I get back.
  13. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    If your budget limited as it appears you are, I'd say the 12-50mm is the best possible choice for you. Certainly a 7-14/12-35 kit is ideal but comes with a heavy price tag. In my experience the 2mm difference from 14mm to 12mm is a significant one. The only other consideration is the 14-54mm 4/3 lens but the AF performance and weight aren't going to do you any favors.

I'd still pick up the 20mm if it were me to have a lens I could use at night and when lighting conditions just aren't favorable. I prefer the 25mm but the cost and size of the 20mm would appeal to me more in your situation.
  14. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Tough Q.

For a more limited range, the 12-50 Oly is really not bad. For a more extended range, the 14-140 Panny is also not bad at all. Both are slow, both have some weaknesses, but both are pretty darned good values and if all you are doing is posting pics to the web or making reasonable enlargements.

The original Panny 14-45 is really excellent if a little slow and only FF=28mm at the wide end.
  15. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    +1 Really, all of these lenses are quite good. I have no quality problems printing uncropped or mildly cropped photos to 13" x 17.5" -- the max size on the nifty Canon Pro9000 printer I recently bought. I wouldn't be afraid to go bigger on most of my photos.