1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wide to Standard Combo

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bwidjaja, Jun 5, 2012.

1. bwidjaja

bwidjaja Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    Trying to decide on what lens combo to use. Please share your thoughts.

1. Oly 9-18, Panny 14, Panny 20
    Pro: P14 provides fast AF in a pancake form
    Con: P14 is redundant FL with the Oly

2. Oly 12, Panny 20
    Pro: Fast (F speed) and furious
    Con: no fast AF pancake

3. Oly 9-18, Panny 25
    Pro: UWA and best standard
    Con: no pancake

And of course feel free to suggest other combos with similar costs (approx $1,100)

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    For me, performance is more important than "pancakieness" so I'd go for option 3.

Fred

3. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    my vote will be greatly affected on what you are shooting and your style of shooting...

... but at the pureness of the gear itself, i'd go with option #3

but for the majority of the photography you'll do, the option 1 is the most complete imho... no leica lens though, but it doesnt really differ that much compared to the panny 20

4. SimonL

SimonL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    NW England
    The 25 isn't any better than the 20 - except for the faster aperture

Having said that, the 12 isn't visibly better than the 14.

The pancakes win on 'pancakiness' AND price :biggrin:

LensRentals.com - Wide-Angle Micro 4/3 Imatest Results

5. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    MFT is not the only thing by which one evaluates lenses.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I guess I could be more clear. The improved performance, to me, of the 25/1.4 over the 20/1.7 is in focus speed. The quiet focusing is a plus as well for video, if that's of interest. The difference between f/1.4 and f/1.7 doesn't matter much to me.

The OP felt the 14/2.5 might be redundant so I never considered that. Nor did I mean to compare it to the 12/2. Personally I prefer 12mm to 14mm.

I just picked his option that didn't include the 20.

Fred

7. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I'm for the Oly 9-18 + Panasonic 20, but from your older post about what to trade I see you have these already.

Maybe go for the PL25 if you don't pay too much to move up. With the current retail price difference of $180, maybe it's not that bad for fast AF & more interesting color rendition.

I suppose the 12-35 doesn't interest you for roughly that budget? I'm going that route, it's only 1 stop slower at 12mm, I can handle 2-stop slower at 25mm. You do get fast AF...

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I'm most comfortable with longer lenses so this is just an opinion, but if you aren't worried about size (ie., pancake) I think the 9-18 and 25 combo will give you the range you are looking for with the highest quality.

9. bwidjaja

bwidjaja Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    dre_tech, you are right about me already having Oly 9-18 and P20. I am not considering the 12-35 because I know i do not prefer zoom (not IQ, just personal pref) and it's relatively big.

RevBob, that is what i am leaning toward for now... if only I can figure out where to buy P25 without paying outrageous amount.

10. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I already have the Oly 9-18, Panny 14 and Panny 20 and like all of them. Easy choice for me. But I am also using the Samyang 7.5 as well - it is a great addition.

The 14 and 20 make a great walk-around combo with my GF2. The 9-18 is versatile and relatively small and often is added. The 7.5 is just fun.

11. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    You are wise to include an ultra wide angle in at least 2 of the 3 options.

While the 9-18 is a very nice and useful lens (and I appreciate having one!), here's what I think makes a great minimalist UWA to standard setup:

Pany 7-14
    Pany 14-45 or Oly 14-42IIR
    Pany 25/1.4 (or Pany 20/1.7)

You could substitute the 9-18 for the 7-14 without losing toooo much, but the 7-14 does give superior AOV and IQ.