1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wide, Optically Adequate, And Cheap.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dissembled, Jan 19, 2015.

1. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Characteristics I'm looking for are as follows:

--- Generally inexpensive and costs under $550.
    --- I also own a Nex 6 with kit lens (18-55 x 1.5) and tend to shoot at 18mm which translates to 27mm with the crop factor.
    --- Adequate for street photography, architecture, and general all purpose.
    --- Impressive optically. (Good sharpness, produces natural colors, etc.)
    --- Produces creamy bokeh.

Feel free to list zooms and primes. Note though I'm somewhat partial to primes since I do want some semblance of bokeh.

This will be coupled with my GX7. I only own one lens so far and that's the Olympus 25/1.8.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Updated post to mention preferred focal length.

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I think you can get almost anything under $550 thats wide in m43 land (apart from the fast MF f0.95 Voigtlanders).

The original Oly 17mm is dirt cheap as is the Panasonic 14mm - the Panasonic is better of the two IMHO if you're on a more constrained budget.

Sliding up the price scale, the Oly 12 and fast 17 are also pretty reasonable + feature the manual focus clutch.

Then you've got the Panaleica 15mm which slides in at the upper end.

Whats your favourite focal length ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    You want creamy bokeh in a wide angle? You know you'll only get that if you're photographing subjects very close to the lens. Otherwise too much will be in focus to have noticeable bokeh.

If wide is what you're after, the Panasonic 14mm is the natural choice at the inexpensive end, and the Olympus 12mm at the more costly. Do you do street photography that wide, though? Some do, and more power to you if you've the knack, but you tend to have to be very very close to your subject to get good results. I work better at a slightly greater distance, so I can keep aware of what's going on around me. Thus I prefer the 17mm FOV.

• Like Like x 2
  4. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Thanks for the reply. I also own a Nex 6 with kit lens (18-55 x 1.5) and tend to shoot at 18mm which translates to 27mm with the crop factor. I'm salivating in the mouth for the PL 15 but it's a tad expensive for me with its $600 price tag. I must say though that the bokeh it renders is the kind I'm looking for. Oh so buttery.

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Samyang 12mm f/2 maybe, if you don't mind manual only?

Otherwise look out for cheap kit deals on PL15s with GM1s (I got mine new for the equivalent price of 550 USD combined this way), you can maybe sell the body to recuperate costs.

6. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I definitely prefer AF lenses as that's what I'm used to.

I'm now looking at the Olympus 17/1.8. Bokeh is so buttery. Any comments on it?

7. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
  8. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    The question is how wide do you want? What focal length or focal lengths do you want?

Your title says you want something optically adequate... then in your actually post, you want something optically impressive?

As others have mentioned... don't expect a lot of bokeh from wide angle lenses, unless you get pretty close.

The 17mm 1.8 is a nice lense and generally ticks your boxes. However you might find it, not quite wide enough for architecture

9. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I don't shoot wide that often and I have the Panasonic 14 already mentioned. It is a tiny lens that is pretty good. I bought mine used for a good price and have been happy with it. I haven't gotten the wide angle adapter yet, but I probably will eventually. I can recommend it, except for the bokeh thing. You won't get too much of it. The lens only goes to f2.5 and at that angle, you just won't get much. That's not really what this lens was made for. I think your best bet would be the Panasonic 15 and it is not much more than your stated budget. With a little patience you could probably get a used one in your price range.

Of course the 14 and 15 aren't really all that wide and the 17 I wouldn't consider wide at all, but your definition may be different. Happy shooting.

10. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    I bought mine second hand off eBay and haven't regretted it. It's a lovely lens with very fast AF and easily bright enough for no-flash indoor shooting and low light photos. Add a 10mm extension tube and you have a very workable macro lens.

16098030610_a9e202c0c5_b.
    Taken with 17mm + 10mm Ext tube.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  11. newphoto

newphoto Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Colin
    I bought an Olympus 9-18 off Ebay for $400. I am happy with the quality and it is super light weight.

• Like Like x 1
  12. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Well, I wouldn't call it "wide". It's closer to 22mm, which is true normal focal length.

13. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Some people say it's a bit soft. Sharpness goes up if you use bodies without AA filter (E-P5, E-M1).

Also, not that wide. Panny 15mm or Oly 12mm would be my recommendation, given your body and other lens. You can get Oly 9-18 used for that amount but it's not that fast...

14. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Pretty much all of these faster wide angles are plenty sharp in the centre, it's the corners that are the issue (stopping down helps with this). For a lot of stuff this doesn't matter since the subject won't be in the corners anyway. Most of them also have barrel distortion even after automated correction.

15. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I also own a Nex 6 with kit lens (18-55 x 1.5) and tend to shoot at 18mm which translates to 27mm with the crop factor.

Edited first post to include this info...

I find it unfortunate that wide lenses don't produce much bokeh. I love that look. :frown:

16. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Really? Gauging from Robin Wong's review, I would say otherwise. I'll be sure to research it further, however.

17. TetonTom

TetonTom Mu-43 Regular

+1!
    I paid under $500 for a refurbished 9-18, and it rarely comes off my EM5. The same could have been said of my 12-24 when I shot Nikon DX. I like wide. I take over half my shots at the 9mm end, and most of the rest at the 18mm stop, so I like to think of it as a "2 prime kit". Image quality is definitely good enough, and shooting wide, I rarely miss smaller apertures.
    My normal walk-around rig is the 9-18 + 45.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

18. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
  19. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    On occasion I have a few quibbles with Pekka, but these words from that review are spot on the money:

• Like Like x 1