1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wide lenses with shift-adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by hnaa, Jan 27, 2013.

1. hnaa

hnaa New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2012
    Hi all, I am considering getting a shift-adapter for my OM-D, for use with a 14mm DSLR lens. I think Fotodiox is the only company that makes a shift-adapter, but I could be wrong. Any experiences with using wide lenses on a shift-adapter?

2. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
  3. leuallen

leuallen Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2010
    Mackinaw, Il
    Wide lenses with the adapter have bad corner color shift problems. Lenses less than ~50mm exhibit this problem. The solution is to use the Flat Field plug in in Lightroom. You shoot the images normally then shoot a series at the same f stop and distance through a diffusing medium - frosted plastic. The second series of images are applied to the first for the correction which removes the color cast and vignetting. It works well.

I have used this setup with a 28mm lens with good results. Without this setup the lens is basically unusable.

I think that 14mm may be pushing the envelope though.

Here is an example using a 50mm lens, shift adapter, and flat field plug in. The sky would not be as uniform without the plug in.

Note that the focal length of the lens appears wider than it actually is due to the panorama effect. In other words, you don't need really wide lenses unless you are looking for a special effect. I use 28mm to 80mm lenses with good results.

Larry

Note: if you do decide to get an adapter, get the EOS version. You can stack and additional adapters to it so that you can mount Nikon, Pentax, and OM lenses plus a few others. I believe Canon FL and Minolta lenses require a dedicated mount. So EOS gives you the most versatility. I use mostly OM and Pentax with this set up.

Attached Files: