1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

wide lens for the OM-D

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jerrykur, Nov 23, 2012.

1. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
    Hi,

I am looking to expand my lens collection and am looking for a widish lens for my new OM-D. I looked at the Pana 7-14 but the flare issue looks too frustrating. What are my other options>

Jerry

2. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    the cheapest option is the magical panny 14mm, this GEM of a lens is just fabulous, my goto dayshot lens for lanscapes and Indian ruins, abandoned homes, indoor museum shots, this lens alone kept me in micro 4/3rds, often leaving my DSLR's at home...

14mm, OMD, Heavensville daddy-o....

3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    If you want to go bellow 10mm you have two other options.
    The Oly 9-18 small and good and not very expensive. Rokinon/Samyang 7.5mm fisheye that can be de-fished when needed. I own the Rokinon and tested the Oly. The Rokinon give you a wider then the P7-14 with the added fish-eye effect when wanted.

4. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    At the risk of angering the populace (which isn't my intention,) the 14mm I have is okay, but I'm not as impressed with it as some people seem to be.

Don't get me wrong it's not bad and terrible, but neither is the 17mm I have. In fact my copies of these two lenses seem about the same as far as the images they make. (A statement which will likely bring the pitchforks and torches to my castille, but I stand by it for the lenses I have.) But they aren't gobsmacking like my copy of the 25mm (seriously I bought mine and almost cancelled the order since I already have the 20mm, and after using the 25mm I'm glad I didn't cancel it.) But that's seems to be just me, so I'm assuming that I have a fairly good 17mm and a fairly mediocre 14mm. So YMMV.

The 14mm is smaller and focuses quieter than the 17mm, both of which are advantages.

I also have the mZD 9-18 and I like it fine, but the aperture is fairly slow and it has the collapsible zoom design so you have to deploy it to use it and fiddle with the lock to collapse it. It's nice that I can use filters on it though, which was one of the main reasons I wanted it instead of the 7-14.

You could also get the 12mm Olympus if you wanted something fast and pretty wide. It seems to be generally highly regarded, but I haven't been able to afford one.

5. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Personally I don't experience that much flare from the 7-14. When it occurs I seldom find it bothersome. Rather than a detraction, it can also be viewed as an aesthetics element, often found in cinematography too.

The lens is a wonderful tool for specific types of shooting that has a large following. Many among us seldom shoot beyond 7mm.

This was shot directly into the sun. there is only a hint of flare in front of the boat that certainly doesn't diminish it's overall content.

1/400 sec, f/18, ISO 160, FL 7mm
    P1180042sm.JPG

6. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

Oly 9-18, small, light weight, can mount filter and relatively reasonable price.

or you can get the oly 12mm, excellent build and optical quality, f/2 fast aperture but pricey, yet it doesn't have the dramatic effect of an UWA like the 9-18

7. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    The 9-18 will not make the most of the 16mp sensor, but it is not a lens that has any obvious flaws besides this. The sharpness is pretty even from center to edge, and it doesn't have any aberrations that could spoil your images. I think on any system it would be seen as a pretty solid lens, but it would probably be about three times the size. If the reduced weight or the ability to take filters is useful to you, I would say it is a no-brainer.

8. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Has anyone tried the SHG zuiko 7-14 with an adaptor?

9. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    The 9-18 is a wonderful little,light lens which I use mainly while traveling.The twist out set up is kind of a pain but a worthwhile trade off for it's small size.Like littleMT,I use the 14 for most everyday situations and find it just wide enough to see the world the way I want to.

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I shoot with the OM-D and have these WA lenses:

1) P7-14
    I love this lens. Shooting into a light source will create purple CA and a bit of flare (most lenses will create some sort of flare especially at large apertures). The flare doesn't bother me much, the CA is quite annoying but both Aperture and LR4 have easy and quick fixes for CA.

P7080092-XL.
    OM-D w/ P7-14 @ 7mm, 1/60, f/4, ISO 1600

2) O12mm
    Very Sharp, very fast for a WA. No complaints whatsoever. Just a great all-around WA lens.
    P7080205.
    OM-D w/ 12mm, 1/180, f/11, ISO 400

3) P14mm
    Most cluck for the buck of any ยต4/3 lens. It's a pancake (which is a very good thing). It has a slightly-better-than-okay wide aperture (I use f/2.8 as a minimun aperture baseline). It is sharp, focuses fast ... just a nicely performing lens.
    [​IMG]
    GF1 w/ P14mm, 1/160, f/6.3, ISO 200

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  11. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
  12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I think those are extreme examples and the occurrence of this type/amount of flare happens rarely with normal shooting. (Everybody's mileage will vary.) I find the 7mm end wonderful, the lens sharpness equally wonderful all wrapped up in a solid build. Personally, I think the lack of filters is more important and significantly impacts the usability of this lens more so than the CA and flare. But, YMMV.

Gary

P7080093.
    OM-D w/ P7-14 @ 7mm, 1/60, f/4, ISO 1600

P7080050.
    OM-D w/ P7-14 @ 7mm, 1/125, f/11, ISO 400

GRAA0156.
    OM-D w/ P7-14 @ 7mm, 1/350, f/9.5, ISO 400

[​IMG]
    OM-D w/ P7-14 @ 7mm, 1/30, f/6.7, ISO 400

Gary

13. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    It is actually very hard to make a suggestion without knowing what you have already and whether you are looking only for a UWA lens or if you would be fine with a WA lens. Also it would be helpful to know how important being able to use filters with the lens is to you.

Regardless,

Your UWA options are:

Samyang 7.5mm FE, Panasonic 8mm FE, Panasonic 7-14, Olympus 9-18mm, various adapted lenses.

Your WA options are:

Olympus 12mm, Panasonic 12-35mm, Olympus 12-50mm, Panasonic 14mm, various kit lenses, various adapted lenses.

14. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    For a while this year, I used the DMW-GWC1 wide angle adapter (about $110) on my Panasonic 14 to get about 11mm. It was an inexpensive way to get wide angle, even though the P14 is a purple fringer.The adapter has rings to fit either 37 or 46mm threads, so it will also work on a Panasonic 14-42 or a Oly 14-42 MK II.

Later, I added a used Olympus 9-18 zoom. It's a nice lens, but at 11mm and 14mm, I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and the above combo, which is a little disappointing for a $500 lens. However, the 9-18 is quite versatile.

15. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I have the PL25, 20mm, 12-50, 75-200, 45mm, and I find the 14mm
    to be as sharp as all of them, and very colorful.

the magical 14mm:

hoot-8.

wsrt-2.

lemay-6.

mca14-20.

ftu14-2.

ftu14-13.

I can honestly say, if I had to sell off lenses for some reason, the 14mm would be the last one to go. This jewel can be had on the cheap, I bought mine for $169 dollars on ebay, and it's output has rewarded me 100 fold.

the panny 14mm, no camera bag should be without one.