Wide Lens Choices For G2?

DaveB

New to Mu-43
New to the group, but have already learned quite a bit. Just bought a G2 for my real estate work, and am very pleased so far. But the 14-42mm is just slightly less wide than I need. I use a 10-20mm on my Pentax K-7, and the difference in just 4mm is quite a surprise. Anyone know of a 10mm zoom that is reasonable for the G2?

ajramirez

Mu-43 Veteran
In native m43 mount there are only two: Lumix 7-14mm and Oly M.Zuiko 9-18mm.

I own the Oly and can recommend it.

Keep in mind that since the m4/3 sensor in your G2 is smaller than the APS-C sensor in your Pentax, 10mm on the G2 will not be as wide as 10mm on your Pentax.

Regards,

Antonio

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
The 14-42mm lens on the G2 is equivalent to a 28-84mm full-frame lens.

The 10-20mm on the K-7 is equivalent to a 15-30mm full frame equivalent or a 7.5-15mm on the G2.

The Panasonic 7-14mm would be the closest fit but the Olympus 9-18mm is much cheaper and more compact. It may be a good compromise.

DaveB

New to Mu-43
Thank you very much. I will do some searching. This is the only problem I have encountered so far. I was surprised at the difference in wide angle coverage when comparing the Pentax 10mm shots and the G2 14mm shots. So far, I've just moved back a little bit and solved some of the problems. But a lot of times I am back as far as a wall will allow. Thanks for the explanation. If anyone has a Panasonic 7-14 and could post some pics shot at 7 it would be helpful. Whatever I get I'll post some comparisons...

DaveB

New to Mu-43
Research on the Panasonic 7-14mm is a little discouraging. Amazon has it for $999, although the numbers look good. There is a warning about a "dark spot at the bottom of the picture" when using flash, but I use remote flash. Regardless, I may have found a way to use some other lenses. The new issue of Digital Photo Pro has an article on Page 96 about lens adapters. It is just an overview, but Panasonic makes one that fits Panasonic/Leica lenses. There is no reason they would benefit from offering versions for my K-7 or other cameras mounts, but there may be someone out there who might find this a profitable niche. And I wonder what the effective numbers would be if I could do that. There are limitations, and I need to get more information about what these adapters prevent, such as metering choices, multiple shots, etc. I also have to search CameraQuest (CameraQuest Home Page) who may have something useful. If I find a cheaper solution than a $1,000 lens I will be sure to share it.

f6cvalkyrie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi,

the 7-14mm is an excellent lens for architectural and interior shooting.
Some (a little special, but still) examples are here :

https://www.mu-43.com/f56/countryside-urban-exploration-hippodrome-groenendaal-6377/

If you do not want to spent the money (it's not cheap, as you already discovered), an alternative would be to put the camera on tripod and shoot several overlapping pics that you can stitch wit software like "Panorama Factory"

C U,
Rafael

DaveB

New to Mu-43
Great idea! I am still working on some panorama HDRs, but my RE clients seem to prefer the standard "great" interior and exterior shots. My major problem is getting people to make their houses presentable by shoot time. I think I am spending more time on moving stuff than shooting.
In the meantime, I got a reply from Camera Quest, and it seems the "Voigtlander K to M43" adapter will allow Pentax lenses on the G2, with manual focus and aperture priority. For $179 plus California tax (how did they help?) it is worth a try. There are a few good used pieces of Pentax glass around, to say the least. I tried to figure out the math of using my excellent Sigma 10mm-20mm on the little camera and figure it might go wide to say 13mm? That is pretty close to what I am doing now. And lets me shoot .jpg and RAW at the same time. I will have to test and see if anything else doesn't work. But it's better than $1,000 for new glass.

f6cvalkyrie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi, Dave,

before you spend 179 bucks on a adapter, are you sure you're going to find workable Pentax glass with FL shorter than 14mm for an acceptable price and with acceptable results ????

Personally, my shortest FL for MF glass is 24mm from Nikon and it does not at all match the quality of the native Panasonic glass (+software ??)

C U
Rafael

walt_tbay

Mu-43 Veteran
I checked out the Panasonic 7-14mm, but ultimately purchased the Olympus 9-18mm lens. I find the range to be much more useful plus I just couldn't justify the extra cost of the Pany (Can$720 vs Can$1,350 :eek: )

Latest threads

Top Bottom