Wide & Fast Adapted Options?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by MegaPixelTravel, May 14, 2011.

1. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    Looking at the 14mm f2.5 as being the widest option with so speed. So I'm wondering what people are using to get faster than f2 and wider than the 20mm Panny?

2. travisennis

travisennis Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2010
    Indiana
    Outside of c-mount lenses I'm not sure such a lens exists.

3. I can recommend a Canon EF 28mm f1.8 USM, but then I'd also have to recommend a 5D to go with it. Nothing I can think of for Micro 4/3 aside from an adapted Zuiko 4/3 14-35mm f2 zoom. Large, expensive and probably quite rare.

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
  5. MegaPixelTravel

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    Wow sprinkle, that's a good list. Guess I should check out the camera trading shop in my area along with thrift shops.
    Any idea which lenses are the best out of that list or how much I should expect to spend?

6. Bear in mind that C mount lenses wider than 25mm tend to vignette quite badly on a m4/3 sensor.

7. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    The Magic Toy lens sold at eBay looks interesting. Google it for info. There are some who say that the Magic Toy lens is the same as the Fujian CCTV lenses being sold on eBay for less than half the price (<CAN$50) with m43 mount. I just bought a Fujian lens last night to try out.

8. MegaPixelTravel

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    Just another though, why not add a wide angle adapter to the front of a lens?

I know puritans will cry "for shame" and IQ may drop slightly. But it does make a fast lens wider.

Here is what I'm refering too - [ame="http://www.vimeo.com/22908542"]GH2 gets WIDE from 6mm to 3.5mm on Vimeo[/ame]
    But I'm guessing it would work with the 14mm or 20mm panny as well (just get the right screw diameter).

9. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    It seems that many of them were made for Super-8 and 9.5mm, so they did not cover 16mm format. So, the first thing to check is whether the lens was suited for 16.

10. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    I guess you could try using the wide angle adapter. You won't know if there will be an drop in IQ until you try it. Let us know if you do. There are lots of these 46mm and 52mm adapters available on eBay.

11. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    The video is done with a crop ( or a magnifying lens filter) , this way you get the worst of both world it is not wide enough to be considered ultra wide angle as you cropped it but it has all the distortion of the Ultra wide angle lens.

C mount lenses are fun but then cannot rival with 35mm prime mainly due to loss of light on the sides and with some lenses loss of sharpness. It is fun to use.

Concerning the filter , I am using something similar for macro ( the other way around) i can tell you that you will loose IQ, As i found out that i needed to be around F8 to get something decent.

Adapted lenses will create too much distortion.

8mm on a full frame is a circular fish eye close to 180 degrees angle of view with its distortion on a M4/3 you get the distortion but you crop the the angle of view.

16mm on a full frame Ultra wide angle, will give you something like a 32mm lens which is not so wide.

Unfortunately there is no adapted wide angle that would perfectly fit on M4/3 , hence my recommendation the 7-14 F4 from pana.

12. MegaPixelTravel

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    @iliakoltsov - I understand why the 7-14mm Panny would be the best choice but at ~$1000 its more than my budget can spare for wide angle.

13. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Not the quality of the 7-14, but I am not using WA extensively, so I can live with the compromises:

5288872125_3dfc6183d7_z.

On the right, then 14-45 kit lens with an Olympus WCON-08, on the left a small Computar 12.5/1.3 c-mount with a Nikon WC-E68. The Computar does vignette, so you will have to crop the picture. If you do to the extent that the vignetting disappears, both solutions will show a similar view angle (should have used the 14-45 in 4:3 for better comparison, but you get the idea).

5289475508_b671195e61_b.
    14-45mm at 14mm plus Oly WCON-08 by mgapicius, on Flickr

5288871847_b284bfa1df_b.
    Computar 12.5mm plus Nikon WC-E68 by mgapicius, on Flickr

There are other combinations I haven't systematically tried out yet. I am most hopeful for the Fujinon 12.5/1.4 TV c-mount lens, which has a bit less vignetting, in combination with the Nikon converter. Size would be in between the two you see here. IQ with the kit lens and the Oly converter will, of course, be best with reg. to soft corners etc, and you will have autofocus, but the other lenses are several stops faster if that's what you need - and much smaller. I think the Computar + converter cost me a total of $70 shipped from ebay, works for me.

Stefan

14. DumplinkNet

DumplinkNet Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 23, 2011
    Try Nokton 35mm f/1.2 from leica M
    schneider 25mm f/.0.95 or anegieux 25mm f/0.95 both c-mount.

they you have those TOY lens that literally look like toys and their lens output look like toys as well with soooo many swirls that its nasty and boring after a few shots.

15. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    I've developed a modification for the Fujinon-TV 12.5mm/f1.4 that results in close to full coverage of the m4/3 sensor in 4:3 mode. In 3:2 mode, there is just the slightest hint of vignette.
    The modification consists of 12 separate adjustments. It started with the efforts of GetDPI forum users 'Vivek' and 'zcream', but I've taken the modification further to achieve greater coverage.
    Contact me via PM if interested.

16. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    Here's the vignetting before and after:

CF12_5Abeforemod.
    CF12_5Aaftermod.

The finished modification:

CF12_5Amodcompleteii.
    CF12_5Amodcompletei.

And some example photographs:

CF125kitten.
    CF125stingray.

These photos were all taken with a GF1 in 4:3 mode, with no cropping.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    None which you quote are wide-angles, while the "toys" aren't off-topic.

18. Pat Donnelly

Pat Donnelly New to Mu-43

Apr 17, 2010
    Well done Ekoe!!!

Marvellous work!

I am deeply engaged in debating the usefulness of c mount zooms on another forum at the moment and to see a prime so well adjusted is very heartening!

If you felt like doing this often, you could have quite a sideline as this is the weak area for m4/3! The electronic shutter will enable fast number of frames per second on the full sensor. Like the GH2 and G3 which only use part of the sensor.

Don't sell them too cheaply either!

Really well done!

Please get some reward for this!

• Like Like x 1
  19. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    Thanks for the very encouraging words, Pat!

You're right... fast wide angle options is the weak point for m4/3, and so I'm really proud to offer this modification.

BTW, in what forum is that debate regarding the use of c-mount zooms? Another project of mine has been locating and collimating fast c-mount zooms that provide excellent coverage of the m4/3 sensor. There's a good bit of misconception out there. I had a confrontation with someone in another forum regarding out of collimation parfocal zooms.

20. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    Has anyone explored the use of a 6mm 1.2?

I look at the stills and videos and it doesn't seem sufficiently wide-angle for me...certainly not 6mm! Is this due to the excessive cropping needed... or is it just me?

43 Rumors | Blog | Pentax 6mm f/1.2 tested on the GH2 by Seb Farges (with Panasonic 14mm comparison)

Modified Cosmicar 6mm 1:1.2 on GH2 - a set on Flickr

I too am in search of an affordable solution to ultra wide-angle photography.

I would love to stick a 0.45x adapter on to my 14-42 kit lens, but I fear the kit lens would break. Has anyone tried that?