1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

wide converter with 20mm 1.7 OR cheapest UWA?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by CanonConvert, Jan 11, 2013.

1. CanonConvert

CanonConvert Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2012
    as above - i was wondering which would be a better option in terms of IQ.

as for the cheapest UWA, the one i've come across is the opteka 6.5 or the samyang 7.5mm. sadly, i don't really like fisheyes (prefer rectilinear), but also don't wanna spend a big bomb on the 7-14 or 9-18. any other cool and cheap lenses to recommend then? (doesn't matter if it's manual, as long as IQ is decent!)

i could explore using a canon adapter to my canon UWA lenses, but that defeats the purpose of using my E-PL5 - portability. so that's out of the question.

another alternative is just to get the samyang fisheye, and then defish in LR. then my question would be - how effective would the defishing be (i.e. how well can it restore the photo to rectilinear style and how much would it eat into the corners) and whether it can be made automatic in LR?

thanks!

2. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    The only simple / inexpensive / compact solution I can see is the Panasonic 14mm + DMW-GWC1 converter, which will give you the equivalent of 28mm (with) and 22mm (without) lenses. I have the 14mm (and would highly recommend it) but not the converter.
    If you want wider than that it will have to be one of the zooms you mention or the Samyang 7.5mm - which is a fantastic lens IMHO and much more versatile than you might think.

3. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    You can defish the fisheyes in software, or use the DMC converter on the 14mm. Not sure which produces better image quality, though.

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    That, and/or learn to love stitching panos. Different perspective, true, but still.

5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    • Like Like x 2
  7. CanonConvert

Nov 22, 2012
    hmm, the defished images were hard for me to accept (not just from that site.. others too). the corners are ultra-stretched, making it look extremely unnatural.

btw, i can't use a WA converter on my 20mm?

8. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    You can, but the quality isn't going to be stellar, even with a nicer one.

You should be careful though, since it's not internal focusing- heavy things that are filtered in will put strain on the focus motor.

• Like Like x 2
  9. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    There is no way a wide converter will get your 20mm to UWA levels anyway. Best you could hope for is 12mm equivalent, but I doubt you could even get that wide. And the wider you get the worse the image will be anyway.

What you might want to consider is something like this:

https://www.mu-43.com/f81/samyang-8mm-f-3-5-nf-image-thread-4417/

Samyang 8mm fisheye designed for 35mm cameras. Because it is designed for a 35mm camera but you are only using the center of the lens on a m4/3rds camera it is easier to get shots that are more "normal". If you keep the horizon level then you will have no worries at all in most shots, and if you defish the corners look better anyway because the camera/lens combo has already cut out the worst parts of the corners.

10. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    There are .45X converters that might take your 20mm down to 9 mm, but these are generally $30 adapters that give corresponding results. The better ones are more like .7X and cost as much as a Panasonic 14 mm.

I have the P14-GWC1 combo and also the 9-18. In hindsight,I should have gone directly to a used 9-18 as it was $200 more than what I eventually spent on the P14 and GWC1.

Nonetheless, I think the GWC1 is a good approach and recommend it if one already owned (and likes) the 14mm. Buying them together solely as a 11mm solution ... no.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    But that produces a field of view (FOV) of 16mm.

12. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    Firstly . . Do NOT put a converter on to your 20mm.

The extra weight from a rather heavy converter will eventually damage the focus mechanism. There are reports on the net about people who's 20mm lens now has even slower and louder (grinding sounds) focusing due to the weight of converters being attached to the moving parts of the lens.

Also as others have said it would not get you much of a wide angle.

I might suggest that you buy a 14mm cheap on ebay (I got one sent from korea for £100) and then add a cheap 0.45x wide angle from ebay too. This is what I did when looking for something wider than my 20mm.

For £120 I got the great little 14mm - Apart from it's use being a wider angle than the 20mm I also prefer it for casual video use. Plus it's small and light for when that is what matters.
    Add to this the cheap 0.45x converter off eBay and I get sone real wide-angle fun too. I find the image quality from this pairing to be pretty good. And while there is obvious distortion, it is much less than I expected. There is softening in the corners, but again not as much as I expected with this cheap add-on.

Just another option that gives you lots of fun for not much cash.

13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If 11mm is wide enough, I'd go for the 14mm and the Panasonic wide-converter. That's around $300 (get a de-kitted 14mm from eBay for 190.

If you need wider, look for a secondhand 4/3 9-18 ($400 or so on eBay) and a m4/3-4/3 adapter ($50 or so on eBay). It's not as compact as the native m4/3 9-18, but it's still pretty small.

14. CanonConvert

Nov 22, 2012
    just curious - would the WA converter work on the standard 14-42 kit and the 14-140 lens as well?

15. dlew

dlew Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    So-Cal
    Dennis
    ----

Wow. I had no idea i might be causing damage to my lenses... I have a converter that i bought to use right now to make my 14 and 20 just that much wider until i save enough for the 7-14mm.

i have used it about a dozen times at most. Will this converter damage my lenses? it is 6.25 oz (179 grams) in weight.

8381514197_3005dd64c7_c.

16. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    It won't hurt the 14mm at all. The front of that lens doesn't move.

Now if you look at your 20mm, you see the front barrel go in and out as it focuses. The concern is the extra weight could stress the motor.

That .8X on the 20 only gets you to 16mm. Play it safe and use the 14mm.

17. dlew

dlew Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    So-Cal
    Dennis
    thanks! i'll limit my use to the 14 when i need it.

so much good info here on this site... i love it!

18. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    Hi - As HarryS said. It is the extra weight of the converter on the moving focus mechanism that can cause the damage over time.

A few uses only will likely not have done any damage at all. Just don't make a habit of it.

19. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I love have the rokinon 7.5 lens an love it!! you can use fisheye hemi to "defish" the images and most of the time they come out great! or you can crop for a more consistent look. download a trial of fisheye hemi and see if it works for you if you end up getting the samyang.