1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wide angle?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zammer, Jun 23, 2012.

1. zammer

zammer Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    I'm shooting with the E-pm1 14mm-42mm lens, my quick question is this...

There is an option in SCENES that allows for a wide angle photo to be taken, I've tried the function while wide open and then taken the exact same pic but in IAuto at wide open and get the exact same pic both are at 14mm as far as exif data, perhaps I am missing something? but why have a function for wide angle when it does the exact same thing as a wide open lens under reg auto shooting? forgive my noobiness, thanks

2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Are you talking about the panorama feature? You need to take a series of images and then combine them with the Olympus software.

3. zammer

zammer Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Thanks Hikari but no, I did see the panorama function but this is clearly shown as wide angle. I have not yet tried the panorama feature yet.

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I have the E-PM1. The wide angle option in Scenes mode is used to optimize the camera for use with the Olympus WCON-P01 wide converter. When you go to that option in Scenes, press the right side of the control wheel on the back of the camera. You'll see the explanation come up on the screen.

5. zammer

zammer Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    The mystery is solved, thank you Biro :thumbup:

6. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I've just got the WCON-P01 and this scene mode is still a bit of a mystery to me. If I choose this mode with the converter attached as the manual suggests, as far as I can see the results are exactly the same as just using iAuto (both the image itself and the contents of the Exif data - e.g. the Exif still indicates a focal length of 14mm even though that's not the true focal length with the converter). But maybe there is some combination of circumstances where it has an effect and I just don't happen to have found it.

7. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi. Is the setting on the EPM1 something to do with the camera software adjusting things like barrel distortion, chromatic aberration and other lens anomalies which might increase with the use of the converter compared to the lens alone .??
    Rob

8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I was just going to post this. With a normal lens the camera knows which lens is on the camera and corrects accordingly. With a converter lens the camera doesn't know a converter was put on, so you have to tell it, or correct later manually.

9. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Yes, it might be something to do with software corrections. As I said, I couldn't see any difference compared to iAuto, but that might just be due to the kind of photo I was taking. I may try some test shots with more straight lines that might make distortion correction more obvious.

I would guess that knowing the "correct" focal length may also affect Image Stabilisation - again I haven't been using the converter with IS turned on.

The problem is that (unless I am missing something) the Wide Angle Converter mode effectively forces the use of iAuto, which I never normally use. You lose the ability to control aperture and most of the other settings in the PASM modes. Which seems odd, if the Converter screen mode is just a way of telling the camera there is a converter attached.